Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lets have a debate as to who thinks cmaeras are safe or dangerous

i have to say i think they are dangerous, because when ever i drive somewhere i have never been i find im concentrating more on looking out for cameras rather than my own driving, i dont speed anyhow but often the odd 35 in a 30 but likewise in july i drove to cornwall, i found it difficult to concentrate on driving because of these cameras,

they are more often than none placed in stupid locations, i.e in portsmouth there it one right but a motorway entrance, (the one near the ferry port if any portsmouth people was wondering)

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
Speed cameras are there to TRY and deter drivers from breaking the law by speeding,the cameras themselves aren't dangerous.It's drivers who drive too fast and have accidents because they are driving too fast that are dangerous.The speed limits are clearly marked,and even if they aren't we have all hopefully had driving lessons,so we should all be aware of what the speed limit is on any given stretch of road.People who slow down suddenly whenever they see a camera and are likely to cause an accident aren't in my eyes very good drivers anyway,and will almost certainly have an accident before long,it's not a case of if,but when.

Chris.

·
Registered
795 Posts
When ever there is a thread about speed/cameras etc imagewerx always comes out with the obvious. credit to you mate [Y]

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
When ever there is a thread about speed/cameras etc imagewerx always comes out with the obvious. credit to you mate [Y]
I was answering the posters request to discuss the topic of the thread.The reason I think I have to state the obvious is that so many drivers ignore the speed limits that are put there for OUR SAFETY,and not as a stealth tax as so many seem to believe.It's not speed itself that kills,it's a lack of respect for it.

Chris.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
i have to say i think they are dangerous, because when ever i drive somewhere i have never been i find im concentrating more on looking out for cameras rather than my own driving
I agree, especially the scamera vans. I would prefer the Police to stop uninsured drivers in cars which are not fit for the road or who drive dangerously/stupidly/inconsideratley/carelessly/under the influence of alcohol/drugs/while banned/underage/driving a stolen car/truck drivers driving over their alloted hours etc etc etc. Speeding is an easy to quantify offence and therefore easy to charge good money for. All of the other motoring offences above, and the ones I have not mentioned, are far more dangerous and should take priority in my opinion.

What annoys me however is the trend for lower speed limits. I agree with a lot of them in built up areas, but doing 80mph or even 180mph on a deserted motorway/dual carraigeway in good conditions is a lot less dangerous than 20mph in a 20mph limit in the town centre. Could a bus in a bus lane stop in 5m at 20mph if someone walked on to the bus lane? Cameras do have their place, but speed limits need drastically reviewed, and not to be made slower. Many could easily and safely be made a lot higher.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
like i say, i dont speed, everyone does the 35 in 30 zones but its the people doing 60 in 30 zones for example, some speed cameras are 'safety cameras' but most and just out to grap money, lke the one i mention before you head onto a motorway, people build up speed to get on so they stick a camera there, its stupid and not needed there.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I must say I think maybe 60-70% of cameras are in black spots where people do need to slow down. However, there are some blatant cameras in places which are just ridiculous. Like the one goldgolf has metioned in Portsmouth, I've seen so many people get flashed by that; outside lane, no more junctions, straight road, and 50 metres ahead the start of the motorway... you just start accelerating knowing this, and if you dont know the camera is there you get done, and I honestly cant see any danger in this particular spot.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I must say I think maybe 60-70% of cameras are in black spots where people do need to slow down. However, there are some blatant cameras in places which are just ridiculous. Like the one goldgolf has metioned in Portsmouth, I've seen so many people get flashed by that; outside lane, no more junctions, straight road, and 50 metres ahead the start of the motorway... you just start accelerating knowing this, and if you dont know the camera is there you get done, and I honestly cant see any danger in this particular spot.
ah someone agrees with me aboutt this cam, it is bloody stupid, i understand the one near vicoria swimming pool but a motorway, come off it, although i see lots of people go past it and dont get flashed, im doing 40 and people are wizzing past (nervs of steel)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Yeah i definately agree! After coming from the Isle of Wight though, I always stop at the shell garage right there to get Optimax (Well, V-Power now i suppose!) as only one garage on the island has super unleaded, and they run out very quickly!!! So I havent been caught out yet [;)]

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol, i've drove the roads of portsmouth enough not to get caught now.

that must suck only having one v-power pump on the island

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Yeah its not even Vpower cos its a texaco garage! Its just dodgy 97 RON stuff, and its on the other side of the island to where i live, so its a pain in the ass to go to!!! Always a good excuse to have a drown down the country roads though [;)]!! Back on the subject of speed cameras though.... [:D]

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah its not even Vpower cos its a texaco garage! Its just dodgy 97 RON stuff, and its on the other side of the island to where i live, so its a pain in the ass to go to!!! Always a good excuse to have a drown down the country roads though [;)]!! Back on the subject of speed cameras though.... [:D]
back on the subject of cameras, i dont have much more to add, im sticking with the fact that they are dangerous and deter my eyes from the road (mind you so does a nice bit of skirt)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Probably playing devil's advocate here, but how are they dangerous???

Cos If you are driving to the limit, you don't even need to keep your eye on them as you are not going to trigger them!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
when i drive i concentrate on the road, then i look and see im doing 34/35, i dont clas this as 'speeding'

so now because of this i find im concentrating on keeping dead at 30, and always looking around for cameras instead of the road

·
Registered
173 Posts
You may not consider it to be speeding, but tell that to the safety camera bloke whos clocking you at >10% over the 30 ph limit i.e. 33 mph!!!

unfortunately doesn't matter whether you feel ur speeding, it's what the stats say that count to themand the fining mechanism in the UK.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You may not consider it to be speeding, but tell that to the safety camera bloke whos clocking you at >10% over the 30 ph limit i.e. 33 mph!!!

unfortunately doesn't matter whether you feel ur speeding, it's what the stats say that count to themand the fining mechanism in the UK.
there are people who abuse the roads and safety for other people by driving around at 60 in 30's etc but its always the ones who get caught doing silly things like 33 etc

·
Registered
795 Posts
isn't speeding speeding? reminds me of a quote from the fast and furious " it doesn't matter if you win by an ich or a mile, winning is winning"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.