Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right does any body know the acctuall guideline which the police take
for speeding. By this i mean how much exactly over the speed limit
would i have to be going in order to get caught...

some people have told me its 10% and other have told me its 10% + 2mph....

i was going 51mph on a 50 mph zone with a mobile speed camera van,
would this mean i would have got caught??? i realise this might sound
stupid.... but they seemed to be in operation and its worrying seeing
that i only got 3 points left

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Dont worry about it mate

i was doing 99 in a 70 and had with the van and got it through the post.
Ifilled it in and sent it back and that was 4 months ago and to date i have not heard anything back[:O]

·
Registered
305 Posts
The widely accepted guidelines are 10% + 2mph - however they dont legally have to give you that leeway. If the 51mph was on your speedo, your actual speed was probably in the late 40's anyway due to the margin of error. If however it was a GPS reading it will be a tad more accurate...

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
While techincally you could get charged for doing 51 in a 50, they normally leave a little above the speed limit to allow for speedo error.

Was your 51mph on the speedo? If so, the chances are you were doing 47-50mph. If your speed was from GPS based equipment like a Road Angel I would not worry as it is still within 10% and 10% plus 2mph [y]

·
Super Moderator
50,206 Posts
The 10% thing and the +2MPH thing are an urban myth I'm afraid,a speed limit is a speed limit,no matter which way you look at it.You are speeding if you do 50.1MPH in a 50MPH zone,and if they can measure it accurately enough (which they can),if they've had a bad day,they'll do you for it.They wouldn't have a 50MPH speed limit if you can actually do 57MPH (50+10%+2)would they?

Your speedo by law has to be accurate to within 10% (can never remember if it's + or - or both)for the MOT (although they don't check it),an error which you have to compensate for when driving,and ignorance of the law is not an excuse,no matter which law you are breaking.

Portable GPS based sat navs cannot give an accurate ABSOLUTE speed readout without a speed pulse input like the fixed ones have (i.e. what speed you are doing from one second to the next),although they can give an accurate AVERAGE speed reading.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ye it seemed to be just on the 51mph make, im just worried it could be
more because i have put alloys on my car and have heard that they will
affect your speedo.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Dont worry about it mate

Ifilled it in and sent it back and that was 4 months ago and to date i have not heard anything back[:O]
Oh i'm sure you will! I had the same thing. They have to notify you within a small amount of time (which they have) then they get 6 months i believe to prosecute. Mine came through a few days before the 6 months were up!

·
Super Moderator
50,206 Posts
If you've downsized the aspect ratio of the tyres (or profile in English) by the recommended steps,it should be ok,i.e if you're on 55/15s,you go to 50/16s,then 45/17s,then 40/18s,and maybe even 35/19s to keep the rolling circumference the same,you're speedo will still read as accurately as it can.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The 10% thing and the +2MPH thing are an urban myth I'm afraid......
No it's not - refer to the Guidance section on this document published by ACPO which recognises, as you rightly say, that any breach of a speed limit is a breach of the law, but it publishes in black and white what their guidance is for police officers issuing FPNs and summonses.

http://www.acpo.police.uk/asp/policies/Data/speed_enforcement_guidelines_web_v7_foi.doc

I believe that the camera limits are set in line with that guidance and only lower in, very rare, exeptional circumstances.

There's other speeding info here:

http://www.speedlimit.org.uk/faq.html

·
Super Moderator
50,206 Posts
I stand partly corrected in that case as I've never seen a published document such as that before that lays out the exact limits at which they have to issue a fine,but just don't get stopped by them if they've had a bad day,otherwise not only will you get a speeding ticket,you'll also get done for stepping on the cracks in the pavement,and anything else they can think of.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
My old man's a copper and he says it's always been 10% + 2.
Your speedo has to be accurate to 10%, so they allow for that inaccuracy, then the +2 bit is to secure a conviction I expect.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Dont worry about it mate

Oh i'm sure you will! I had the same thing. They have to notify you within a small amount of time (which they have) then they get 6 months i believe to prosecute. Mine came through a few days before the 6 months were up!
How fast were you going and what did you get?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Might be different here in N ireland but my Brother is a traffic cop ( I forgave him after 15 years lol).

He say the law is 10% + 2mph but it is never enforced at that. He states the back office staff needed to process that would be massive.

He told me that they start at +12mph over the limit here requardless of the plated limit.

Hope this helps and he says no way in the world will you get done for 51 in a 50.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Might be different here in N ireland but my Brother is a traffic cop ( I forgave him after 15 years lol).

He say the law is 10% + 2mph but it is never enforced at that. He states the back office staff needed to process that would be massive.

He told me that they start at +12mph over the limit here requardless of the plated limit.

Hope this helps and he says no way in the world will you get done for 51 in a 50.
no way can 12mph over the limit be right:

eg

thats 42 in the 30s

however that is the 10% + 2mph rule on 70mhp limits

82 in a 70 (still seems fast though)

and i have seen some references to Road Angel being accurate.

i thought they were great, however, like stated above, the only calculate every so many meters (so they are not completely realtime)

also my mum showed me something she read in the paper the other day, something i had never thought of. the GPS speeds (such as on snoopers and angels) can be totally wrong. as they measure ground speed, so that means when you go up or down hill the speed will be wrong.

an extreme, but impossible case (just used to explain) is:

a 90 degree hill 1km long, the road angel would show a ground speed of 0mph as you are not moving horizontally

so as you can imagine a failry steep hill, as some are on motorways and country roads can totally destry your GPS speed rating.

also in the same article in the paper it said (due to the above inaccuracy) that a GPS system cannot be used in place of your speedo being broken or temperarily not working.

hope the above makes sense as i havent read it back through lol

as for the original question, 51mph in a 50 should be fine.

but buy a road angel, mine saved my from a random copper with a radar gun the other day.

ps is it 14 days untill your safe for recieving a letter about a speeding fine, or 14 working days?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
50,206 Posts
Any GPS receiver works by measuring its position relative to a number of fixed points in the sky,i.e.the Global Positioning Sattelites,these are at a far enough distance away from you that slight variations in the local land contours shouldn't make any difference (this is just a guess),you'll still be travelling towards one and away from another one at the same relative speed.

Although I have a Garmin with regularly updated points of interest,if we concentrate on our driving as we are supposed to do,we should be fully aware of the speed limit in place on the road we driving along,without needing to be warned about it by an electronic device making a very annoying noise at you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yip, according to my Bro it really is 12+mph over the limit before you get a ticket. He says he could show me an internal memo about it but would be sacked if it got out into the public domain.

Asked him about the time for the letter to drop through the door and it is 14days from detection (Not working days)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
.... don't get stopped by them if they've had a bad day,otherwise not only will you get a speeding ticket,you'll also get done for stepping on the cracks in the pavement,and anything else they can think of.
Very true, they're human after all.....

·
Registered
196 Posts
RAs update every second...so for motorway driving is pretty accurate buy when accelerating quickly or braking quickly will be way out.

The police can only target your vehicle if they believe you are speeding. So doing 51 in a 50 is not likely to get you caught and there is a margin of error purley because some speedos are more crap than others but none show your true road speed...something GPS devices do

·
Registered
447 Posts
Dont worry about it mate

Sorry to tell you buddy but 26mph+ over the limit is a mandatory summons (usually) so you will be going to the magistrates... CPS have 6 months to lay papers and they do like to leave it to the last minute, mine came through a few days before the 6 month deadline.

Your punishment will be (almost definately) 5-6 points and a fine in the region of 100-200 pounds.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts