Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Speed Cameras - Bad News...

2K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  Pauls1820VTGolf 
#1 ·
#4 ·
bunch of cock why not try and install traffic calming measures or single lane chicanes speed bumps and camera's do so little to slow down motorists camera's catch you in the act but thats pointless if the act you have just commited is running over a small child.

I sincerely hope that they do use alternative methods rather than camera's as I see them only as a money making scheme and little help in stoping accidents, IMO they are a measure that work to late to make any difference as has already been stated once they are known they prove ineffective.

I would be very interested to see what effect they have in the second year onwards of there installation as I imagine it would show an increase from the first year.

#7 ·
I can only think of 1.5 reasons why it would be beneficial to disguise or blend in Speed Scameras.

1) For Scamera Partnerships to raise revenue - If they are not advertised or highlighted, they are there to catch people and not deter them from speeding

0.5) They make the eyesores that cameras are already slightly less gawdy by removing high vis paint.

Can anyone put forward any possible justifiable reason as to why hidden Speed Scameras are better than visible ones with regard to safety?!

#8 ·
Can anyone put forward and possible?justifiable reason as to why hidden Speed Scameras are better than visible ones with regard to safety?!
Nope, thats why they were painted in the first place wasn't it...
Swines. Maybe I will go buy a Road Angel after all, took mine back as I always spotted them before it did....if they are hidden, I won't

#9 ·
I don't see how so called traffic calming measures make any difference. As far as I can see all they do is damage cars and slow down ambulances. For example some genius has just decided to install traffic calming measures in a village near me. This is on a narrow road which is the main route for many people getting to work. It's also used by tractors etc and all its going to cause is chaos. But then I think that's what councils and the government want.

#12 ·
I don't see how so called traffic calming measures make any difference. As far as I can see all they do is damage cars and slow down ambulances. For example some genius has just decided to install traffic calming measures in a village near me. This is on a narrow road which is the main route for many people getting to work. It's also used by tractors etc and all its going to cause is chaos. But then I think that's what councils and the government want.
Like everthing in life some stuff works some stuff doesnt on the traffic calming measures i like the width restrictors where appropriate or the single lane chicanes they work around where I live but it is congested in greater london, as you say councils dont give it enough attention normally unless it will make revune or benefit them within the short term.

#13 ·
Can anyone put forward and possible justifiable reason as to why hidden Speed Scameras are better than visible ones with regard to safety?!
Nope, thats why they were painted in the first place wasn't it...

Swines. Maybe I will go buy a Road Angel after all, took mine back as I always spotted them before it did....if they are hidden, I won't
Time i got my broke road angel fixed and updated!!

#14 ·
That Old Bill fella from Wales (Brums something) is arguing that no cameras can be put up outside of Schools etc if there has nt been a major accident. No one in their right mind would mind and many would welcome Speed Cameras set up around Schools, Hospitals etc. The sole benefit of this though would have to be to stop drivers speeding in these areas not to raise even more funds for the government. How is hiding cameras gonna stop Joe Fast in his 1.0 corsa booting it down these roads. Visable, well positioned cameras will stop people from speeding. Whats the point getting a fine and 3 points on your license from a hidden speed camera after running down a school kid. Bit bloody late then aint it. [:|]

#15 ·
Very frustrating!

What was the original reason for speed safety cameras anyway?

Was it to try and slow motorists down at accident blackspots therefore hopefully reducing the risk of an accident happening? Or was the original reason to try and generate revenue by catching speeding motorists and not really trying to reduce the risk of an accident happening at a blackspot?

Jeffers

#17 ·
That Old Bill fella from Wales (Brums something) is arguing that no cameras can be put up outside of Schools etc if there has nt been a major accident. No one in their right mind would mind and many would welcome Speed Cameras set up around Schools, Hospitals etc. The sole benefit of this though would have to be to stop drivers speeding in these areas not to raise even more funds for the government. How is hiding cameras gonna stop Joe Fast in his 1.0 corsa booting it down these roads. Visable, well positioned cameras will stop people from speeding. Whats the point getting a fine and 3 points on your license from a hidden speed camera after running down a school kid. Bit bloody late then aint it. [:|]
Exactly right, from the article:-

He said: ?Parents often write to us and ask us to put a camera outside a school because the traffic is so dangerous. It?s very difficult to write back and say, ?Please let us know when your son is killed and then we can consider putting a camera there.? ?

Or how about when the camera goes up 'well we did put one up, but we camouflaged it so the driver didn't see it and carried on at an excessive speed and mowed down your son. Sorry about that, but we did get ?60 out of the driver, so, you know, every cloud...'

#18 ·
Sad thing is, we are paying for them to be put up with our road tax (fund), instead of putting more money making cameras up, why don't they actually sort out the roads in the UK they are a disgrace, I have driven down smoother cobbled streets than some of the roads in west Yorkshire! We pay our road tax every year and what do we get back for it, nothing! And all they do with our money is fund other ways of getting even more money out of us! It is ridiculous! Fair enough put cameras up where they have been accidents and casualties, but the f***ing hide them is pure trickery to get money out of us!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

What does every motorist do when they see a yellow box, Regardless of whether there is an active camera inside the box?<o:p></o:p>

We check our speed, you might not be speeding but WE always check our speed when approaching these camera zones, making them blend won't deter people slowing down and checking their speed as no one will no they are there!

<o:p>Complete to$$ers [:mad:]</o:p>

#19 ·
Or how about when the camera goes up 'well we did put one up, but we camouflaged it so the driver didn't see it and carried on at an excessive speed and mowed down your son. Sorry about that, but we did get ?60 out of the driver, so, you know, every cloud...'
That is the truest thing about the ridiculousness of speed cameras I think i've ever read.

#20 ·
Let's do something about it then. Serious. Let's not sit back and take this.
So what to do that's within the law? If everyone on the board was encouraged to meet somewhere in the UK and do a drive slow in convoy, and made clear our reasons for doing so surley that would generate interest in the media. When I say everyone I mean active users, otherwise it would be what 15k cars?!?

#21 ·
This country is run by absolute monkeys! If no one votes for Labour though who we gonna vote for? David "big up the hoodies" Cameron is even more of an berk it seems. If he had a brain he ll shoot down this proposal and tell Labour to stop picking on motorists all the bloody time! How the hell can you say that the best way to try cut road accidents is to operate a "sting" system that punishes you AFTER you commit the offence. Its a no brainer!

Dont even get me started on the bell we got down here in London. Maybe there are people that can not use public transport every single day to get to work. Does nt matter if you put the congestion Charge up to 20 quid a day, people will still pay it and he knows that. The Underground is a total mess aswell, last week i was working at Finsbury Park and three days running there were major delays on the Picc Line. The most serious incident when Signal Operators walked out, brought the whole Picc Line to a stand still. The best thing is the day time operators could nt get into work to sort it out cause they were all travelling on the Picc Line!! How can you convince the people to use public transport (underground) when rarely a day goes by without delays......

Bit off topic i know [:D]

Carl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.