Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I am amping up the car so am looking for a set of components for the front, I did have ddr-17's for the other golf which are still in there, but I can't be botherd to reomove an rewire.

So the front doors need all round components - something good, not stupid money i.e. not hundreds, maybe 100ish.

The rear doors would be fine for just bass, so a component or bass speaker for the rear door would be great, I dont really want to run a sub!

I may remove the ddr-17s from the rear of the other golf an put something in place (but will need something that can handle amplified sound. (cheap but decent.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
For around that price, Id go with something like 2-way infinity kappa components; if you have a look on ebay you may even be able to get a decent set of focals, cant remember the exact model number, but theres been a few sets going cheap recently! [:)]

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks... what size would I be putting in a 02 golf?

any ideas on the rear doors? as the ones in there are awful! :S

·
Registered
231 Posts
Was Gonna Say 'Infinity's' - Top Speaker For A Good Price!

I Think They Are 6.5" But Worth A Double Check!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive decided to nick the rear speakers from my bros golf and install in the front of mine! :)

but i've looked around for some bassy type speakers for the rear doors and have come up with these beasts...

:D

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=23

6.5 inch subs... would sound awesome I think! ;) an no need for any room to be wasted in teh boot... they retail at about 80 quid each unless someone knows where I can get em cheaper! :)

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
ive decided to nick the rear speakers from my bros golf and install in the front of mine! :)

but i've looked around for some bassy type speakers for the rear doors and have come up with these beasts...

:D

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=23

6.5 inch subs... would sound awesome I think! ;) an no need for any room to be wasted in teh boot... they retail at about 80 quid each unless someone knows where I can get em cheaper! :)
They won't work very well mounted in the door,they need an enclosure (a SMALL sealed box) to get any decent power handling,they'll just flap and fart if you try and put any real bass through them.Did you know you can put 8in speakers in the front doors and they will be almost plug and play using the right Autoleads mounting spacer,now that WILL sound bassy,even if you only use something like Pioneer 8in full range speakers.

Chris.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
yup chris is right i was thinking of gettin them exact 6.5 inch mini subs in my back doors but was told they will sound horrible becuase all subs need an enclosure to work decently mate.. i have 8 inch front speakers which are also tri way amped, get good decent bass from them.. could be an option for you mate

adz

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
also better to have sound stage up front otherwise you get a horrible rear facing sound, with regards to bass nothing will compare to a sub in the trunk, i have infinity 6x9s which are superb, the best bass speaker i have heard tbh.. hope this helps if u need any other advice jus ask..

adz

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
The way any speaker,but in particular bass speakers are mounted can affect their sound more than any other factor.A ?40 SPLX 12in sub in a nice solid box could actually sound better than an ?800 JL 12W7 mounted in an old tea chest.A bit extreme I know,but you get the idea.

Chris.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, will scratch that idea then... what I wanted was to have something coming from the back didnt matter what, but to be honest I didn't want a sub box in the boot, I really dont like wasting the space...

I have a few other options... so will try an decide, the 8" in the front doors sound ace... but again I wanted to use the 6.5" aplines that I already have, these are good as they are, and do give a nice bass....

hmmm back to the drawing board then

again, thanks for the responses :)

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
mate u could always just take the sub out whenever you needed extra room? trust me if your looking for decent bass, a speaker will not match what a sub can, end of the day its your choice though..

adz

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
yup chris is right i was thinking of gettin them exact 6.5 inch mini subs in my back doors but was told they will sound horrible becuase all subs need an enclosure to work decently mate.. i have 8 inch front speakers which are also tri way amped, get good decent bass from them.. could be an option for you mate

adz
how did you go about fitting 8inch speakers ?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
mate u could always just take the sub out whenever you needed extra room? trust me if your looking for decent bass, a speaker will not match what a sub can, end of the day its your choice though..

adz
this is what i do i have a active 10" vibe enclosure which has the amp built in so i just disconnect 3 wires and take it out. or you could look into getting a sub to go into one of the side compartments in the boot i have seen this done just cant rember the site i saw it on.

i was thinking of getting some vibe sek60 components there going on ebay for about ?55 and look like a good peice of kit. ?60 on http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/4254.html

·
Registered
471 Posts
For around that price, Id go with something like 2-way infinity kappa components; if you have a look on ebay you may even be able to get a decent set of focals, cant remember the exact model number, but theres been a few sets going cheap recently! [:)]
cant go wrong with infinity, or if you have a little bit extra rockford fosgate

1 - 20 of 21 Posts