Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just clearing a few of my spare parts, and realised I had every single thing I needed to make a computer!

So in 20 minutes, I have built myself:

AMD Athlon 1.5 CPU, gonna overclock it as best I can
Crappy PC Chips 815G motherboard
40gb HDD
Black CD Writer
512mb Ram

And it's all packed in this which was brand new and lying around.
Posted Image

I'll never use the computer, but hey ho, whats it good for chaps?! Give me some ideas for its uses, I already have 2 machines sitting spare! Another 1.5 Celeron Dell Optiplex machine and a P4 1.8 with 1gb Ram Dell Dimension sitting there collecting dust!

What can I do with them apart from have myself my own LAN party!?!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They aint really worth much to be honest though, it's not as though they are the height of technology, but will all run broadband and office real easy, so too good to chuck really.

I also have a Pentium M 1.4 Dell Laptop which I never use, forgot about that!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right, the processor in this system I have just put together is actually an AMD Athlon 2000 XP, ranked it up to its max, so its running at 1.78ghz, any idea how long it will take before I melt it?! [:D]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Print server [Y]
LOL, yep, good choice, but I only use my one PC! I don't have any need to have 2 PC's running. However, I think I might actually get the P4 1.8 running across a KVM swtich, that way I can burn DVD's and convert files on that one instead of using mine, could also use it to back up stuff using a simple bit of xcopy code. Trouble is, I'm trying to save, so would need to buy a KVM switch just to get it running, at the moment, I'm saving every last penny! Of course, I have a couple of monitors spare, but no room for a whole other desktop system.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Set one up as a server... seriously when i was in support it was really
usefull, I used mdameon to collect all my various mail accounts and
deliver them to my Ipaq, and also its own web interface, then I
put my whole cd software library on disk then pointed IIS to it and
password protected it... so whenever you need that service pack or
obscure version of winrar you can get it, also make it your dedicated
emule/torrent box.

Then take one of the others and put it at a client/friends home (one
with broadband) and use it as a back up for your most important files,

I have a pc at my dads I wrote some batch files that create a VPN and
copy all my excel/word/cookies and Photographs over to it weekly very
handy, even though I have a raid array, what if the PC was knicked or
we had a house fire?

And then use the other one to learn a new operating system ... Linux?
Citrix metaframe? (I have the official Study set and trial software for
sale[;)])

And give me the laptop as you have plenty of othere pc's LOL

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like the server idea, seriously do, but know parents would go skitso at another PC being left on, so going to set one up as a server anyway, buy a KVM switch, saves the hassles and make an XCOPY batch file, then I will look into IIS etc. Think the dell dimension 4400 would be best for this, might just whack in a huge hard drive or something instead of the 40gn its currently got in it. Just won't have it on all the time.

All the PC's have Xp service pack 2 and office (all legal obviously, actually, I'll make that Open Office!)

Some good ideas folks. Will take the oldest one, the optiplex and maybe install Linux and start learning how to use that when I get some time.

Don't think my mates would be too impressed at me setting up a computer round their house, using their electricty and mains points, lol.

The laptop is my gaming PC, when me and a few others do get together and spend the day playing Warcraft III and shoot em up games etc. Works well with all the games, never have a problem and I can just take the laptop case and everything inside it, even have room for my sweets [:D] Again, got it for free, Dell C640, got it about 2 years ago, so wasnt bad back then! Stil aint too bad now.

My actual PC is the only one that really gets used though, and I put this one together with bits too, havent actually bought a PC since 1997! As I do various jobs, I'm always picking up stuff. The dimensions CD rom drive was knackered, and they bought it round my place for me to have a look (diagnose what was wrong really and back up ther photos). They told me to buy another from Dell and do whatever I wanted with the dimension! [:)]

Then I got the one downstairs, which I forgot about! Parents use it, can't remember what it is, think its an AMD 2800 or something.

Had 14 PC's at one point, but in the end, gave loads away, this was before I was into ebay!

I just seem to keep getting all these bits and dunno what to do with them!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Use the quitest PC as the server[;)] thats what I do and my desktop is
always on..... In fact all my photaographs on here and my wedding album
are all hosted on it... Its is also the secondary MX record for alot of
mail servers I have set up for people so it has to be on...... It also
saves me the hassle of dealing with muppets in ISP support if mail etc
isnt working I can do it all myself.

As for the mates minding.... just set up a shared directory and dump a
your mp3/video [;)] collection on there and let tyhem take that as
payment.... or seriously find a like minded mate and bothe do the same
so he vbacks upto you and you back upto a machine at his..... it works
well and is foolproof unless a tsunami hits your village LOL

PS if your looking for a KVM get at least a 4 port one and make sure
its not a manual switch.... also keep a port spare on it so when your
fixing someones pc you can use that

(I have a big umbilical cable under my desk that has KVM cable, kettle
lead, Sound, network) that way when someone brings one round to fix it
takes 30 second to plug in and i dont rip half the cable out of my
working PC

PS what about a carputer... would require a bit more hardware but do that with funds from selling the other stuff on fleabay

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I already have a 'test' workstation set up, this was a pic I took for a thread which never went off!

Posted Image

That monitor bit is my test station and the one everything gets plugged into so I can carry on using mine etc and dont wreck mine. I've always got computers in and out. Best thing is, you can't see any wires [:)] in fact, you can hardly see anything!

The quietest PC would be the optiplex, dont make a sound, I'm gonna have to take the front panel LED's off [;)] Will do fine acually, think that ones a celeron 1.5, though it dont need to be fast.

I just hate dumping all this stuff which works absolutely fine!

The reason for me sorting all this out, is cus tommorow I shall be taking 'delivery' of an AMD 3200 with an Nforce Motherboard and 1gb RAM. So I shall be sticking all that in mine, so I will then have a P4 2.4 system all ready to go, bar the hard drive, case and optical drives, all of which I have saved, so by tommorow I shall have another.

Basically customer wants his upgraded, I havent made any money on it, but am keeping the stuff I take out, worth more than the money I could have made. Just more clutter for me though!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Use it as a web server to test your new web skills as per your earlier thread. Do all the server side scripting on that rather than your main PC.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Renote Desktop! Of course! This thing gets cheaper all the time!

Right thats it, I shall have myself a server, connecting to it via remote desktop in windows. Or even VNC.

Pronz server, take it you mean 'totty server'?! Send me all your stuff and I may have enough to make it worthwhile [:p]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts