Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Spacers!

5K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  hrg 
#1 ·
I read a lot of folk fit spacers to there Mk iv's when they fit 18 inch alloys! Is there any reason for this (other than wrong offsets) or is just for looks! I like the way the wheels sit out more and give a fatter stance though! But how do you know what size spacers to go for?

#3 ·
I think that most people on here have fitted them for looks, I know that I have:

NO SPACERS:

Posted Image

15MM SPACERS:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I managed to get a set of 15mm FK Spacers from R1GTI, forum member, for a good price and I am very pleased with them.

The only thing to bear in mind is that you will need longer wheel bolts!!

I am now thinking along the same line as Jase now though?

#5 ·
Well you may be able to source spacers from R1GTI on this forum along with the longer wheels bolts, otherwise search the net for FK and Eibach spacers.

You may be able to put 20's all round but it all depends on current offset of your wheels?

My RS4's bow outwards from the centre anyway and I woulnd't be able to get away with spacers on the front.

#7 ·
can someone please recommend what mm spacers i should go for? i got 17" TTs and is lowered 35mm . is 20mm gonna be stickin out a bit or just in line with the arches? i do carry people at the back often so i don't want any rubbing on the arches.

did lots of search for this but nothing is getting thru my head so please help

cheers

#8 ·
The spacers do effect the cornering and somehow it just feels different with them on?

As for your size? I am not entirely sure, the last Group Buy that R1GTI completed had loads of discussions about what size, have you looked at that thread?

I am running 18's which a 35mm drop and I always have people in the back with no rubbing problems?

#9 ·
ALso got some 15 mm ones from R1GTI for the rear. Good bloke, good product, great service. Would definitely recommend buying from him. Thought I would be able to feel some difference in handling but haven't noticed anything. Only thing is that the fronts now look like they should come out a bit, maybe 5-10mm.

#17 ·
Just a thought but...............

Did you know that by putting spacers on it affects the (KPI) or King Pin Inclination.

Each corner of the car is set up so that the suspension puts the weight of the car through the centre of the wheelbearing and therefor the centre of the tyre giving and even weight spread and by putting on spacers you are actualy shifting the weight onto only half the wheelbearing causing extra heat and sometimes very premature wheelbearing failure, which in worst scenarios will cause your wheel to come flying off, or at best will leave you out of pocket because you have had to put new wheelbearings on and new tyres because of uneven wear and all because nobody told you.

Also vw build into the cars design to have whats called a 'Negative Roll Radius' which if you have a puncture whilst driving, the punctured side will pull into the centre and as the other side is higher it also pulls into the centre meaning the car stays centralized and will go where you point it until you stop unlike most other manufacturors where if the a puncture occurs the car will pull to whatever side is punctured which could cause you to pull in front of another vehicle.

After explaining that, spacers also affect the Negative roll radius in a bad way.

Manufacturors spend time and money to research and develop these cars and its not always as simple as it looks why things are designed the way they are.

This is why you have reputable aftermarket mods and cheap ones, the cheap ones have had no reseach and development (or very little)while the reputable ones might be a bit dearer, you know they wont cause long term failings with other parts of your car.

I hope this was a useful read and a help to any decision you do make when it comes to spacers.

#19 ·

Did you know that by putting spacers on it affects the (KPI) or King Pin Inclination.

Each corner of the car is set up so that the suspension puts the weight of the car through the centre of the wheelbearing and therefor the centre of the tyre giving and even weight spread and by putting on spacers you are actualy shifting the weight onto only half the wheelbearing causing extra heat and sometimes very premature wheelbearing failure, which in worst scenarios will cause your wheel to come flying off, or at best will leave you out of pocket because you have had to put new wheelbearings on and new tyres because of uneven wear and all because nobody told you.

Also vw build into the cars design to have whats called a 'Negative Roll Radius' which if you have a puncture whilst driving, the punctured side will pull into the centre and as the other side is higher it also pulls into the centre meaning the car stays centralized and will go where you point it until you stop unlike most other manufacturors where if the a puncture occurs the car will pull to whatever side is punctured which could cause you to pull in front of another vehicle.
After explaining that, spacers also affect the Negative roll radius in a bad way.

Manufacturors spend time and money to research and develop these cars and its not always as simple as it looks why things are designed the way they are.

This is why you have reputable aftermarket mods and cheap ones, the cheap ones have had no reseach and development (or very little)while the reputable ones might be a bit dearer, you know they wont cause long term failings with other parts of your car.

I hope this was a useful read and a help to any decision you do make when it comes to spacers.
Ok i know its 5 years old but.......... Im thinking of getting some spacers and this post is a bit worrying, can anyone confirm if this is true?

Thanks.

#20 ·

Ok i know its 5 years old but.......... Im thinking of getting some spacers and this post is a bit worrying, can anyone confirm if this is true?

Thanks.
LOL didnt realise this post was 5 years old!! but after reading what he said has made me worry aswell!! if he is saying we shouldnt buy cheap then maybe we should stick to H&R spaces instead of FK

#25 ·
i just tried 20mm each side on the rear of my golf for a few weeks, on 18x8.5 with 225/40 tyres...im running with about 2 inches of arch gap front and back and the ride went from good to dodgy and crashy! going down to 10mm now to see what happens....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.