Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

Has anybody got any install pics they would like to post to show me where they have used sound deadening.
I need to included this in my budget as apparently it really makes the diff to a good audio install.
Front doors and boots if you have them would be great :)

Thanks

Retro

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, so maybe no photos ..

Has anybody done this and if so was it easy ??

Bit worried about doing the front door panels

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
The best advice I can give is go to your local Wikes builders merchants, and buy some roof edging strip. It looks remarkably like dynamat. Odd that!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The best advice I can give is go to your local Wikes builders merchants, and buy some roof edging strip. It looks remarkably like dynamat. Odd that!
Hmmmmmmmmm

Does it perform like it ??

Retro

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi

I used to do car installs on my own cars for shows etc... Dynamat is good stuff but dont be fooled by the b+?l sh+t. For a large panel like doors you can use sound deading mat from the local bodyshop. I bet you can not hear the difference bettween 2 cars if you tried..

Cheers

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Use roof flashing tape. same stuff as dynamat and costs a LOT less, oh and it does work coz ive done the whole of my old car in the stuff with a big ICE setup.

·
Wizard.
910 Posts
mk4's have already got about the best sound deadening you are gonna find in any car as standard, but ive done all my doors and boot floor with dynamat extreme anyway, only did the middle skin though with one layer, didnt bother doing all 3 skins with multiple layers, as i have seen before. am probably gonna do my roof as well soon.

dynamat may well have the best performance technically, but it is bloody expensive stuff!! any sound-deadening is better than no sound-deadening, ive just always used dynamat, but i guess if my budget was tight, or i wanted to do the whole car, id look at using cheaper stuff, im sure it would still do the job.

ive got a friend with a clio who has done his whole car with dynamat, including exhaust shield and wheel arches to make it as quiet as possible inside, but he is nuts, running a 5000 watt full VIBE system.

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
is it worth shelling out for this stuff when fitting components in front doors when using mdf spacers?
Yes it is,even if you only do the part of the outer skin immediately behind the speakers.

Chris.

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
fitted my focal speakers (subs/ mids) today I got a dynamat speaker kit for behind the speakers. I also did a couple of layers of flashband on the inner door skin. The sound is good but dont know if its any better than no sound proofing at all? I cant see the difference between Dynamat and flashband apart from the thickness...but if you put a few layers on its got to be better than non at all. Golf doors are well built. I just cant justify the cost of dynamat V flashband. 2x 12" sq sheets £15 as opposed to 10m x 150mm flashband for less than £10

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
I've used Screwfix budget flashing tape in my front doors and it cost me a total of about £20,and I've got eight layers immediately behind the speakers.The equivalent in Dynamatt would have cost £100 or more,the only bad thing about the flashing tape is it's brilliant on flat surfaces but comes unstuck from bends and corners after a while.

Chris.

·
Registered
38 Posts
mk4's have already got about the best sound deadening you are gonna find in any car as standard, but ive done all my doors and boot floor with dynamat extreme anyway, only did the middle skin though with one layer, didnt bother doing all 3 skins with multiple layers, as i have seen before. am probably gonna do my roof as well soon.

dynamat may well have the best performance technically, but it is bloody expensive stuff!! any sound-deadening is better than no sound-deadening, ive just always used dynamat, but i guess if my budget was tight, or i wanted to do the whole car, id look at using cheaper stuff, im sure it would still do the job.

ive got a friend with a clio who has done his whole car with dynamat, including exhaust shield and wheel arches to make it as quiet as possible inside, but he is nuts, running a 5000 watt full VIBE system.
He is nuts to shell out that amount and then fit a low quality sound system .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts