Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on tonights performance? I was out to a job so was listening in the car, luckily the job was only a 20 min one and I arrived at half time!

But come on, Trinidad and Tabago? And we can only score in the last 10 mins? We should have completely destroyed them really. I had a ?25 bet on England and was starting to sweat!

Don't think we hold much chance at all to be honest based on our first and second games.

·
Registered
811 Posts
IMHO you cannot judge a team purely on their individuals, so saying we 'should' destroy T&T is a bit of a throw away comment. Sweden struggled as did we. If you ask me all this serves to prove is that the most important thing about the team is a good coach! Look at Greece, won the European championships with an average side and a great coach with good tactics. Japan and Korea are other examples of teams that have it right - coaches that make the most of the team and dont cater to the best 11 individuals. More recently Australia are proving this too....

I would say with the current starting 11 and formation, we will not win the world cup. Simply because the 4-4-2 we play cannot accomodate Gerrard and Lampard in the smae team! They are the same player (good at going forward, off the ball etc, but neither are defensive minded fundamentally), and to ask one of them to play the holding midielder means that A) you take away part of their strength and B) you are leaving out Better players for that position. (Carrick etc).

It is a difficult decision to drop one of them, so the alternative is to change the formation? I personally think that every modern great team has and needs a strong holding midfielder: Chelsea/France have Makalele, Italy/Milan have Gattusso, then there are the likes of Emerson for Brazil etc etc...All of the play stems from them collecting the ball and orchestrating the moves. not only that they offer the freedom for full backs and other midfielders to roam forwards.

Thank god we seem to have realised that Michael Owen is not the Be all and End all.... Yes in form hes formidable, but we can't wait all tournament for it to hopefully happen. Ronney offers so much more and as Crouch seems to be KEY to the tactics, it has to be Owen that is sacrificed.

If we continue as we left of against T&T I think we have a great chance of winning the world cup, we are a strong team with great players, but Sven needs to sort out how to play an attacking, penatrating formation for the better of the team, not one or two individuals.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I was a bit aghast. Only thing I'm pickign up from the aboev post, Sweden struggled like we did purely cos they went in to blase and "this'll be easy". It's not somethign you can do with ANY team at this stage... Even doing it before this stage is risky in itself!

Nobody was on form - I don't know why I'm no football expert. Peopel rave about Crouch, I've only seen him a few times and quite frankly I have no idea why. His goal was pure rightplace/righttime. Good job too after he cocked up the open goal jobby earlier. He made me crack up when at 77mins, he passed the ball off, to get it back, to scheiser himself and tap it forward... A little more thought and a incy bit more pressure, it might just have come off.

We came aroudn when they started tweaking formation and brought Rooney and Doodah on (sorry, crap with names at the best of times). Doodah's speed was astounding... And Rooney still needs a little work.

However, it astounds me that it takes 70mins for things to start happening.

If this is how we continue, I'm with Graham.

We're fcuked.

C

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was a bit aghast. Only thing I'm pickign up from the aboev post, Sweden struggled like we did purely cos they went in to blase and "this'll be easy". It's not somethign you can do with ANY team at this stage... Even doing it before this stage is risky in itself!

Nobody was on form - I don't know why I'm no football expert. Peopel rave about Crouch, I've only seen him a few times and quite frankly I have no idea why. His goal was pure rightplace/righttime. Good job too after he cocked up the open goal jobby earlier. He made me crack up when at 77mins, he passed the ball off, to get it back, to scheiser himself and tap it forward... A little more thought and a incy bit more pressure, it might just have come off.

We came aroudn when they started tweaking formation and brought Rooney and Doodah on (sorry, crap with names at the best of times). Doodah's speed was astounding... And Rooney still needs a little work.

However, it astounds me that it takes 70mins for things to start happening.

If this is how we continue, I'm with Graham.

We're fcuked.

C
I'm not football expert either, I don't know positions people play in off the top of my head etc. However, we could have EASILY been out tonight if they hadn't have been saved by a goal at 83 mins! Thats WAY too late, they had a total of 66% possesion of the ball!

I've seen no good runs, nothing thats said 'yer, we got a chance'. All I have seen is attempts and England being scared to bring people up front.

Trinidad and Tobago! Wales managed to beat them with ease in a friendly match. Our best players, some of the best players in the world apparently struggle!? Personally, I don't think we will make it to the quarter finals if we keep this play up.

Tuesday will see us loosing to sweden me thinks. UNLESS England do something about their play.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
General opinion in the pub tonight was that England will qualify in the group and be home on a flight soon after. I'm no expert but have to say I've seen nothing to convince me otherwise.

What really pees me off is that I passed up hospitality in the RAC box above the pitlane for qualifying at Silverstone as I had pre-arranged for all my neighbours to come over and watch the Paraguay match. Gutted - I should have let them down - and they all agreed.[:mad:]

·
Registered
911 Posts
Football is 90 minutes, doesn't matter when you score.

The world cup is about Results. We have played 2, won 2.

We are playing slow, unattractive, rather dyer football, we are still winning.

We were very patient, and didnt panik that we hadn't scored yet.

T&T basically played 10 defenders - For any one who plays, this is a nightmare as you find no space in the final 3rd.

No one has looked like scoring against us.

We will play better against better opposition.

England for the World Cup!....maybe....

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
did you see the match analysis?? the T&T strikers were in their own 18 yard box fora lot of the game. England did well to create so many chances against 11 defenders.

The long ball game didn't work and i think some players are playing in the wrong positions which hinders England a bit

·
Registered
674 Posts
Look, I was as frustrated as the next man last night but think about it:

We are at Group Stage, played 2 won 2 - top of the group and already through.

Yes I agree its not the best Ive seen England play, but apart from Spain, most of the other clubs havent looked as good as we expect including Brazil!

We can only get better. Rooney was a massive gamble last night, but Lennon should be on from half time whenever we need goals. I didnt understand taking owen off, as crouch had ballooned every chance until the goal but what can I say, we still got the needed 3 points.

Now this will worry you - at the moment if we win the group we will meet the 2nd place team in Group A. Everyone predicted that to be poland before the games started. Currently, Germany are in 2nd place. Ecuador have become a shock leader of the group so will go on to play 2nd spot of ours if they win it (probably going to be Sweden unless they spank us next Tuesday).

So, we could be meeting the old enemy in the next round in Stuttgart!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I think we still have a good chance as we are improving with each game.

If we started with Lennon instead of the ever useless Lampard we would be better off as he has hit 1 on target of about 25 chances, and he seems to have lost the idea of passing. My opinion only of course. But Lennon each game has had the defence on their toes.

But we really need to push to play as we did in the last 20-25 mins of the T&T game to stand a chance of winning the cup.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
We are second favourite to win probably based on the quality of the players that we have in our side, lets face it they are all pretty damn good individually but they never seem to gel well as a team, I think it would be a more convincing performance if they had more opportunities to play games with each other on a more regular basis...

I always think that we lack passion and the desire to win, something that is a bit of a national trait I think...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Thank god we seem to have realised that Michael Owen is not the Be all and End all.... Yes in form hes formidable, but we can't wait all tournament for it to hopefully happen. Ronney offers so much more and as Crouch seems to be KEY to the tactics, it has to be Owen that is sacrificed.
It seems to be decided now (by the media) that Rooney is the be all and end all.

Did you not see the T&T chance that Terry had to clear off of the line!

England were the better team and deserved to win over the 90 but T&T done themselves proud.

I watched the game last night and I've decided that I'll be quite happy if England do well. Its the media that ticks me off. I watched a good bit of the game with the sound off and enjoyed it a lot more. To not be able to hear quotes like " ...a Rooney shaped shadow has been cast over the ground..." was absolute bliss.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I watched a good bit of the game with the sound off and enjoyed it a lot more. To not be able to hear quotes like " ...a Rooney shaped shadow has been cast over the ground..." was absolute bliss.
pmsl... I too am fed up of listening to people going on about Rooney, I feel sorry for him it's a big burden to bear the expectations of a whole nation on every performance and it makes the rest of the team look bad... why does it need Rooney to come on to make them play better.. it shouldn't do thats for sure...

·
Registered
911 Posts
Oh yeah sorry, 1 chance in 90 minutes, and what a well taken team goal it would have been.??

Im not saying this to any of you...maybe I am, but esp. at work, anyone who is anyone comes out of the wood work and suddenly likes football, they know very little, yet they seem to think they know a lot, and some of the things they come out with is laughable.

T&T look like a difficult team to play against, now Sweden may need to win to get through, so it will be nice to play against a team not looking for a point.

I still think we will up our tempo against the big teams.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Im not saying this to any of you...maybe I am, but esp. at work,
anyone who is anyone comes out of the wood work and suddenly likes
football, they know very little, yet they seem to think they know a
lot, and some of the things they come out with is laughable.
So true, I don't like football and I find it cringeworthy what some
people I know come out with with regards to football during the World
Cup - or any big matches.

I'll find myself watching it if its on but I'm not the type to go sit
in a pub and cheer along with people I don't know just because everyone
else is. I certainly avoid talking about it coz I know nothing [:D]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im not saying this to any of you...maybe I am, but esp. at work, anyone who is anyone comes out of the wood work and suddenly likes football, they know very little, yet they seem to think they know a lot, and some of the things they come out with is laughable.
So true, I don't like football and I find it cringeworthy what some people I know come out with with regards to football during the World Cup - or any big matches.
I'll find myself watching it if its on but I'm not the type to go sit in a pub and cheer along with people I don't know just because everyone else is. I certainly avoid talking about it coz I know nothing [:D]
I enjoy watching the games, and know when every game is being played, who's playing, know what the scores mean and understand the offside rule!

But come on. We have played T&T and Paraguy. We are at the top of the board. Big deal! We got a good group! We managed 1 goal against paraguy....which was a fluke and an own goal in the first 5 mins. After that, nothing.

Yesterday we managed nothing until 83 mins.

If they have all their players in defence, play it their way. Don't keep trying set pieces that you know aint gonna work, dont keep lobbing the ball into the area where 5 players are T&T and 1 is England in the hope that it might just work.

Sweden will be interesting. The best team in the group. I'm gonna put a small bet on. And it will be backing sweden.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
First of all lets be clear about the use of the words "we", or "us" when referring to England. To Scot's, Welsh and Irish in this World Cup Tournment "us" or "we" is anyone but England due to the overpowering bias in the press. [:p]

Second of all, it is a pretty poor show if England are a side based around one player. Brazil although maybe not at full strength will convincingly beat England if/when they meet. It is also likely given performances this far the Sweden will beat the English too. It should be a worthwhile game to watch next week though as Sweden have played better football overall so far.

As for England being polled as 2nd best, after Argentina's 6-0 win today, it would take one heck of an improvement for England to come close to the 2 South American teams never mind the best of Europe.

If England get to the semi-finals they will have been damn lucky.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I agree England do need to play better to win the world cup however it is still early in the tournament and it is no good peaking now. Everyone said after the Paraguay game that England needed to play better football against T&T and they did.

I think some of you are forgetting last season, England got beat by Northern Ireland but beat a full strength Argentina in the same year! So it is possible, I think more people need to get behind the team, agreed it does not help with all the media [email protected] that is about but that is not the team that is the media being the media.

Sven needs to forget about his loyalties and play players that are inform, so put Owen on the bench, I don't think Lampard is playing as well as Gerrard at the moment so lets get a holding midfielder like Carrick in and let Gerrard to what he does best. I think Lennon is a lethal weapon do bring on from the bench, I strongly believe without him last night England would of got just the point, T&T could not handle his pace and he really stretched the back four.

Is it me or does Beckham not look he is doing much of a captains role, he doesn't look the leader he used to be, I would love to see Gerrard with the arm band on and really drive the team forward. But as I am sure you will guess I am a liverpool fan.

!!COME ON ENGLAND!!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
So true, I don't like football and I find it cringeworthy what some people I know come out with with regards to football during the World Cup - or any big matches.
I'll find myself watching it if its on but I'm not the type to go sit in a pub and cheer along with people I don't know just because everyone else is. I certainly avoid talking about it coz I know nothing [:D]
ditto!

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
Football is 90 minutes, doesn't matter when you score.

The world cup is about Results. We have played 2, won 2.

We are playing slow, unattractive, rather dyer football, we are still winning.

We were very patient, and didnt panik that we hadn't scored yet.

T&T basically played 10 defenders - For any one who plays, this is a nightmare as you find no space in the final 3rd.

We will play better against better opposition.

England for the World Cup!....maybe....
I agree with you there Matty on all points except the last one.

I still don't think we are good enough to win the World Cup. We are so
predictable, always the long ball. Sven doesn't have the balls to
change the formation about or drop key players like Beckham (although I
think he has played well the past few games).

I would like to see Carrick play (i'm certainly not biased, as i'm a
Gooner) in the defensive midfield, allowing Lampard and Gerrard to push
on and attack where they are best at. Use Ashley Cole & Neville or Joe Cole & Lennon as
wing backs and then playing Rooney, Crouch, Owen upfront.

Just my 2 penneth...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts