Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i had the sps would i have to tell the insurance company?

Because if they were to ask me why i had the car remapped i could say i only put it in "race" mode while on track days. When its on publis roads its on the standard map.

Would they buy this?

I know im clutchin at straws but when it puts my insurnace up 1200 pounds, its worth me trying to get around it!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The simple answer to this is......

If you can't afford to insure a remapped car then don't remap it.
Insurance companies can ALWAYS find out if they really need to, its not like the 1.8T is a hard engine to tune is it?

Even with an SPS, the map is still stored in the ECU so its VERY visible.

Declair it or run the risk of void insurance.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
My personal point of view is that if you cant afford the insurance
increase, then don't have the remap. That's always been why mine is
still standard.

It's not only yourself that you're risking, what if you had an accident
that was your fault? Your insurance company then find out your running
software you shouldn't be, void your insurance, and the poor soul on
the recieving end is screwed and has to claim through their own
insurance.

It's about as bad as driving without insurance if you ask me!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not saying i am going to do it but my mate crashed his car and had alloys on that the company did not know about, they found out and didnt say anything? I know wheels dont increase your bhp but technicaly its still void insurance.

What i am trying to say is if i have revo but switched to standard map am i ok ?

Surely the insurance company could tell i had revo software but the stock map was being used?

Someone must have dont this just for trackdays?

Im not saying im not going to use it on the road, of course i will, but if its switched to stock mode whats the difference in the eyes of an insurnace company?

Im not saying this is ok, i just want to know where it all stands?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
You obviously know its wrong in your mind, so why are you trying to justify it?

Its obvious that the insurance company will use every get out clause
possible if they can avoid paying out money. If you have it remapped
then you have modded your car and they will use this agaisnt you if you
or anyone else ever needs to claim and you haven't told them about it.

Yes, they may not find out and you may be lucky but can you really risk it? - No.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
They could also claim you just de-tuned it after the accident, could you prove it wasn't running the high power map at the time if you were involved in something?

Just a thought

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Surely the insurance company could tell i had revo software but the stock map was being used?

Someone must have dont this just for trackdays?

Im not saying im not going to use it on the road, of course i will,
but if its switched to stock mode whats the difference in the eyes of
an insurnace company?
The fact that they are insuring your car for your use, and you have
modified it, regardless of where you're using it. You state when you
take out your policy that it is unmodified, or if it is, you declare
what modifications you have.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Is it really worth ?1800 odd for the extra performance ?? surely you could trade the car in and get a 180 with that kind of spend which would be cheaper to insure as it would be standard or even swap to a leon cupra r

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it really worth ?1800 odd for the extra performance ?? surely you could trade the car in and get a 180 with that kind of spend which would be cheaper to insure as it would be standard or even swap to a leon cupra r
a leon is not a golf mate, and a 1.8t 180 golf isnt as quick as a revo'd 1.8t.

Thanks for the reply though guys!

·
Registered
288 Posts
"If you can't afford to pay the band, don't dance"

Or something like that!!

Dizzee, you could try the "Its only for track days" line but they would
void your insurance at the first opportunity they get. They'll probably
charge you more if you tell them you do track days anyway.

IMHO just enjoy the car in standard form and get some no claims under
your belt before you think about tuning the tits of your car.[:)]

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"If you can't afford to pay the band, don't dance"

Or something like that!!

Dizzee, you could try the "Its only for track days" line but they would void your insurance at the first opportunity they get. They'll probably charge you more if you tell them you do track days anyway.

IMHO just enjoy the car in standard form and get some no claims under your belt before you think about tuning the tits of your car.[:)]
They shouldn't charge you more if you do track days, as your not covered while your on the track ! Its your own risk if you crash ! lol

But i know where your coming from!

I actually think a few people must have void insurance though, as on my insurance company you even have to tell them if you have added badges, or even put OEM stuff on from a higher level spec golf! Ok its not quite a remap, but it seems the smallest change you can make to your car, the insurnace company want to know!

·
Registered
447 Posts
They could also claim you just de-tuned it after the accident, could you prove it wasn't running the high power map at the time if you were involved in something?

Just a thought
Surely it'd be the insurance companies job to prove that you WERE using the high power map at the time of the accident? After all, you are paying them for a service and if they inspected your car following an accident and found that the standard map is the one in use, then you haven't done anything wrong, it would be their obligation to prove otherwise. And you could just say that the previous owner had Revo but reverted it back to standard when they sold it to you.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Just a thought
Surely it'd be the insurance companies job to prove that you WERE using the high power map at the time of the accident? After all, you are paying them for a service and if they inspected your car following an accident and found that the standard map is the one in use, then you haven't done anything wrong, it would be their obligation to prove otherwise. And you could just say that the previous owner had Revo but reverted it back to standard when they sold it to you.
Yeah because if the revo map is easily detectable, it would be easy to find out that the stock map was being used and not the revo one!

MAybe they can see how long the map has been active or something?

If not i dont see why i should effect the insurance if i am just using it for "track days".

Just in the eyes of me this is, i dont have any idea about insurance, just seems logical to me !

Plus im fed up of having a 1.8 turbo and only just beating 1.6 boras, n pug gtis !

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
maybe there is something wrong with your car if you can only just see off a 1.6 Bora

All I know is that cheap insurance policies with the likes of elephant and that like will do anything to get out of paying. So I'm only going on the lines of caution in order you get a claimed settled quickly, as these companies are renowned for taking for ever to settle

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
maybe there is something wrong with your car if you can only just see off a 1.6 Bora

All I know is that cheap insurance policies with the likes of elephant and that like will do anything to get out of paying. So I'm only going on the lines of caution in order you get a claimed settled quickly, as these companies are renowned for taking for ever to settle
Im not doubting you mate i can imagine what they are like ! Just seems like a logical thing to me, maybe not though!

I can hit on average 0-60 in 7.5 seconds in good weather which is about right if not a bit quick, the bora is a lighter car with a lighter engine. A standard 1.8T does not feel like a turbo car!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
OK, here's a thought.

It might be possible to get a second ecu, rempa that one, and swap it over purely for track days.

It would need matching to the immobiliser, but that might be a once-only job? (Someone will come along with the answer to that, I'm sure)

After all, if all you want to do is the odd track day, it's not too big a deal to swap over.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok after a lot of debating i am not going to do it! i think anyway

As my mate put it to me , its like having a 9inch n*b (1.8T as it is better than ur average) and going for an operation to make it a 12inch n*b (A chipped 1.8T) But there is a risk of it all going wrong and ending up with a 1 inch n*b (Insurance not paying out, me only being able to afford a nova!!)

Would you go for the operation?

And also having it chipped but tunred off is like saying to the insurance company, i have a 500bhp skyline but dont push the throttle all the way down!

Next year it will only cost 500 more on insurance, might have to wait till then [:(]

Its all good though as i can buy my wheels this week instead [:D][:D][:D]

1 - 20 of 53 Posts