Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 293 Posts

·
Adrian
4,149 Posts
I'm building a budget Track/drag car, with handling/track being the primary focus. But It will probably be doing time at Santa Pod with the VWDRC next year, If things go well.

So what is it? It's an early MK1 Audi A3. Known for the moment simply as 'The A3'. It's a tatty looking S reg (1998) 1.8T and it cost me a whopping £150.

20150321_084828_zpszpc3iqpe.jpg

20150321_084838_zpsakvbfw26.jpg

20150321_084851_zpssozumuzr.jpg

20150321_084903_zpskaa2sidz.jpg

20150321_084914_zpshobfvxsm.jpg

The first port of call for any race car... it went on a diet!

20150321_092208_zpsnlumxjwu.jpg

20150321_092215_zpslusb0wbi.jpg

I stripped out the seats and quite a lot of the trim, but the dash, carpets, headlining and boot trim are still fitted... for now.

Then I started crossing off faults one by one, starting with what I through was a knackered gearbox mount... Turns out someone has sheered 2/3 of the gearbox bolts, so it was wobbling around on one loose bolt :eek:

Drilled through them suckers though and nut/bolted it. Job's a goodun. :Y:

20150321_163714_zpsplrsiuuq.jpg

(excuse dem photog skills yo)

20150321_163719_zpsakxgrcod.jpg

general grubby engine shot.

20150321_163730_zpshhsg91se.jpg

So there you have it, the first instalment of the race car. There is much to do, may parts to buy, and a lot to learn, but basically this will be a budget track toy that I plan to build for £1K.

Stay tuned...

·
Super Moderator
50,235 Posts
So there you have it, the first instalment of the race car. There is much to do, may parts to buy, and a lot to learn, but basically this will be a budget track toy that I plan to build for £1K.
6 Months and £78,000 later.................... :new-chuckle:

·
Diesel Geek
4,089 Posts
6 Months and £78,000 later.................... :new-chuckle:
Only £78k! On a separate note good luck with the build. I'll look forward to seeing the updates. Are you planning to keep the car street legal?

Oh, I also like the air cooled tin kicking around. Used to have a bay window in that orange many years ago.

·
Adrian
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers lads, i've already chewed through over half my budget, but i have brought new tyres, front brakes, a lambda sensor, oil filter, fuel filter, timing belt kit, plugs, and a few other bits and pieces. Next up is coilovers, and a new battery. It's also getting a LCR suframe, quick rack, arms and uprated ARBs thanks to Jay p. And yes, the car will be staying road legal, as i'll need to drive it to events (dont have towing license)

·
Adrian
4,149 Posts
Oh and i forgot to mention, I picked up a Wizards of NOS kit for this car a couple of weeks back. It was too cheap not to buy. The fully programmable progressive controller alone is £400, and i got the whole kit (bottle, heater jacket, bracket, solenoids, jets etc) for £250. Not counting towards the 'budget' as it's not a necessity, It was just too good to not buy.

That's more for the drag racing aspect of the car though, and wont be going on until I put uprated rods on, which wont be until winter I think. I suppose i could safely run a 50 shot though, if i really wanted...

Look forward to the progress on this
Thanks man, i'll try not to disappoint! Many packages are inbound.

Yayyy glad you got it!

Subscribed!
Had to be done really, didn't it!?

Hey hey this looks fun :D
Good start :Y:

If you need a hand with anything I'll be more than happy to try and help.
you live in Kent so it's practically next door :)
I was wondering how long it'd be until you saw this thread ;) I'm probably going to keep it as DIY as possible, as I want it to be my labour of love, and put my own stamp on it, so to speak, but if i need a hand i'll give you a shout :)

I expect to see you at lydden hill for Apex festival in May. It's a brilliant show, and track time is cheap! PM me if you're interested as I have a promo code for 25% off ticket prices. Apex festival will be this car's debut.

Subscribed! :). Sounds like you have some good plans for this. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
I have devious plans... :whistle:

·
Si
Mk4 golf GTI/Mk1 Seat LCR
2,919 Posts
PM'd
Haha this is going to be a fun car. Awesome that you have a nice little AGU engine in there as well.
What turbo are you thinking of using or is it top secret atm ;)

·
Adrian
4,149 Posts
I don't like exhausts very much...

PM'd
Haha this is going to be a fun car. Awesome that you have a nice little AGU engine in there as well.
What turbo are you thinking of using or is it top secret atm ;)
Gonna just run the K03 into the ground this year, nice and cheap, don't have to worry about killing it.

My girlfriends brother Carl has a cast T3 manifold kicking around that he would practically give me. So anything on the T3 flange, which gives me a lot to chose from.

300hp would be more than enough I think. But we're talking long term now.

Right now it's running a factory map, at only 7PSI, hasn't got a lambda sensor at the moment either but it drives okay.

·
Si
Mk4 golf GTI/Mk1 Seat LCR
2,919 Posts
Haha being that it's an got the old me3.8 ecu, for a cheap bit of temporary extra go you can stick a bleed valve on the n75 to get it to boost up to 14psi before it hits fuel cut ;)

·
Adrian
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha being that it's an got the old me3.8 ecu, for a cheap bit of temporary extra go you can stick a bleed valve on the n75 to get it to boost up to 14psi before it hits fuel cut ;)
Yeah i think i'll just whack a manual boost controller on it and leave it as is until i go standalone management.
Look forward to seeing this develop mate!
Cheers shammy :)

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Step this way....I've got a couple of sets rear 256mm calipers and one set of carriers. Not sure which is up for grabs at the mo but I'll keep you posted. Note one set needs a good refurb.

Got a pair of superpro rear axle bushes going up for sale later. They're from the track bora but only covered 4k and are solid.

Just listed some braided front brake lines in the classifieds.

Suspension can't help with that one but if you're doing limited mileage a cheaper set will suffice. You'll want height adjustable though so you can rake the stance for drag launches..

Reminds me I've got some 17" drag radials in the garage too....

·
Adrian
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like you just need to fill a crate up and post it to me ;) drag radials you say...

The braided lines i'd be interested in, and i've got my eye on some FK Konigsport's like i had on my V5 (liked them alot) but the condition is unknown. The beam bushes might also be handy...

·
Adrian
4,149 Posts
Minor update this evening. The bottle heater jacket from my nitrous kit I brought was damaged, the wires often get damaged and fall off/fray probably due to the heat and stress they are under, as they're soldered directly to the heating element, when really they should be crimp/screw terminals or something not susceptible to heat.#

But anyway, I haven't re-engineered it, I just replaced the wires with some high quality 4mm silicon. Much more flexible than the factory wire, because of the massively high strand count, and it's also heat proof. Once I soldered the wires on (spaced them further apart on purpose) I bonded everything back down with sealant,

20150324_181908_zpslcoqkvsh.jpg

1 - 20 of 293 Posts