Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Adrian
4,149 Posts
You all know the deal, got new job, R32 had to go.

But a car nut can't be driving to work in a Prius. I wanted a balance of economy and performance, and i kept coming back to the same answer.

So without further ado, here she is:

16537191642_f8c83fefa9_o.jpgA4 Avant 5 by Adrian Solly, on Flickr

She's a B8 2008 A4 Avant, 3.0TDI quattro.

242PS, 369 lb·ft 0-60 in 6.2 seconds. But can happily get 42MPG on the motorway, which is significantly better than the R32, but the same performance figures.

Specs include:

• Xenon headlights with LED running lights
  • S-line trim
  • Bang and Olufsen audio system
  • Panoramic sunroof
  • Front and rear parking sensors
  • Half-leather S-line seats

She's just shy of 97K miles, and drives flawlessly.

There are already some plans for this car, once i get my redundancy money in a couple of months, the fun can begin!

But for now, all i will be doing is FITTING CRUISE CONTROL. BECAUSE WHY THE HELL IS IT NOT STANDARDDDD!!!??? >Rant :aggressive:

Same story as my last car, big spec, but they didn't spec cruise. I just don't get it. Luckily that should be pretty straightforward to retro fit, if it's anything like the MK5 was.

Now i need a new signature, and i need to take some proper pictures with the DSLR some time, the camera phone pictures really don't do this metallic grey paint justice. Got some scratches and a bit of over-spray and whatever, but nothing a good rotary polsih shouldn't iron out, I think mr jay might be getting a visit for that, as i know he's the man when it comes to polishing things, oh and paint correction.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Great car, one of the lads on UKPassats has one that he's added bits to currently 312bhp. He's gone down to 17's and fitted springs and shocks and has even done a couple of track days I believe.

·
Adrian
4,149 Posts
Cruise control retrofit kit ordered!

Bye bye £220! :blink: More than worth it for the ease of use, and the type of driving im going to be doing, it should make my drive to/from work stress free :Y:

Ooh very nice looking forward to see how this goes!
Cheers :)

Looking forward to this. What are the plans for when the fun begins?
The real fun begins when the DPF goes bye bye, i put an exhaust on, and pay a visit to darkside developments. but that's a good few pay packets off yet.

Looks great, got a real soft spot for these.
Me too :wub: Had to be an Avant. I was just lucky when this one came up in this colour and spec.

Great car, one of the lads on UKPassats has one that he's added bits to currently 312bhp. He's gone down to 17's and fitted springs and shocks and has even done a couple of track days I believe.
I'd be MORE than happy with 300HP. should be achievable with a few bolt ons and a map. Let me just say it pulls like a train as is, it just needs a better power band and a slightly higher red line. Really runs out of puff at 4,800.

This should be good, power coming out your ears.
:D

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Very nice car.

As for your new name / signature.

How about "Greedy Sootpig" as although a derv it likes its fuel. :p

·
Diesel Geek
4,089 Posts
Save the drive to darkside take it to Bobby Singh ;) did you see what he screwed out of ed's 2.7?

·
Adrian
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice car.

As for your new name / signature.

How about "Greedy Sootpig" as although a derv it likes its fuel. :p
Thanks man, I've just gone with a generic signature i pulled off Google for now. In the mean time I've got myself booked in to the mandatory 'how to drive like a cock' classes.

I'm not bothered by the fuel consumption too much. It's better than the R32 was, and that's the main thing.

Save the drive to darkside take it to Bobby Singh ;) did you see what he screwed out of ed's 2.7?
That may be a consideration, though i do know darkside have their own 3.0 with some impressive figures.

Not bad at all for a chip fat burner :p !
No chip fat for me! only BP/Shell's finest ^_^

Absolutely love these dude! :wub: the only estate I would have I think! But they look incredible
It HAD to be an avant man. :)

The saloons are okay, but my god the avant.... The trouble is, 3.0L avants are few and far between and it really narrows down your options. Other cars i looked at were either too low spec, or way out of my price bracket.

Cheers for that, i'll create an account later and have a nosey.

I've spent the evening looking into retrofitting the high level MMI and satnav, but it looks horrendously complicated and expensive, so i might just have to make do without the navi. Which makes me sad (i was sure this car had satnav, until i got in it to drive home :doh: )

Touch up pen kit has also been purchased, as there's a small bit of damage to the left side front wing, so I'll have a go and touching that up when the kit arrives.

I also think one of the rear brake callipers has been replaced at some point, as one of them is not painted black, and doesn't have the S-line decal on it. Functions perfectly fine, but I'll look into getting that painted and looking like the other one.

I can see this car costing me quite a bit of money. Which is the exact opposite of why i was looking for a new car :lol-lol:

·
You ain't seen me, right?
3,778 Posts
looking good.

now the spending starts, as with all new cars.....

Reactions: sootpig

·
Registered
964 Posts
Amazing isn't it, you get a new car and still end up spending and tweeking more!
My cars a week old, it's already had vcds used for auto rain closure, coming home lights on door opening and most importantly

·
Registered
964 Posts
Well it was meant to be a YouTube vid of sweeping needles on my Tiguan but tapatalk won't let it load

1 - 20 of 162 Posts