Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i got a quote today for a 1.8T golf from my current insurers (admiral/elephant). Before i say the cost take this into consideration.........

I am only 18years old

I have had a full UK license with passplus for 18months

I have 1 years no claims discount

The quote was based on a 1.8T 150bhp model, worth 10k. i added my mum and dad to the policy as named drivers, with both boxes checked asking if they have use of another car. I did the same for myself as i have full use of my girlfriends mini cooper S. Annual mileage of 9000miles, in a AB postcode.

the cost....

£1024 [:D][:D][:D]

doesn't seem very much to me considering i paid £1350 the first year i insured my 1.4 (although only paying £600 on it this year was nice [^] )

I am so tempted to get a 1.8T and start all over again but at the same time i'd be sorry to see my 1.4 go after the amount of money i've put into it [B)] I think i'll end up keeping the 1.4 till my policy runs out at least to see what it'll come down to with 2 years NCB [^]

what would you do if you were me? keep modding the 1.4 or start saving for a 1.8T?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Christ almighty....... the forces of insurance really are against me! 23yrs old, 3yrs NCB ........ £1280 [:(]. These blasted insurance companies are a joke....... they have a right to print money by the looks of things.

Anyway........ having been a 1.8T driver for 2 days....... do it!! Honestly, it's such a huge improvement, not just in power, but handling, comfort, and fuel economy. Ive found myself taking it easier when doing urban driving... i can chuck it in 5th and tootle around (and watch that mpg rise [:p]).

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris, not sure if it'd be an improvement in comfort or handling from my 1.4 hehe! It is so absolutely tempting to just go out and find one to buy!! better fuel economy sounds good though as my 1.4 is pretty poor MPG! This had to happen just as i started bidding on more mods for the 1.4 lol, why buy a gti steering wheel when i could buy the gti itself :S

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
It will be a world of difference between the two and considering your excellent insurance quote there should be nothing stopping you making the sensible decision!! 1.8T all the way [:)]

·
Registered
703 Posts
WOW that is a cheap quote!!

I cant even get a quote online! as i have no NCB but am 22 and have had my license since i was 17, not to mention pass plus and i am insured as named driver on 2 cars (1 of which is a 7series)...

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've just had a quote with admiral, and they want £1700 for my 1.8T i'm 20(very nearly 21) with 3years driving experience but without any no claims! tried it with 1 years no claims just to see and that took it to £1500. You must live in a good area mate!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hmm..

Shame you can't take the stuff off the 1.4 but we all know it would be more cost effective to just to buy the same kit for your 1.8T than it would to remove the kit from your 1.4 and repair the subsequent damage!

- Toff.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Toff,

Would'nt want to save anything of the 1.4 except the seats if it didnt have recaro's, the wolfsburg mats and anni pedals maybe the RCR's too! No point in taking the suspension cause i want KW's next, no point in taking the wheels as i dislike them even tho they suit the car lol. Next car will be lowered and some really nice wheels and a few body mods, no kit this time more power!

When my 2 years NCB is in(august 2004) i'll be 19 with over 2 years of driving experience so im expecting to get it for under a grand at least :D Looks like 2004 will be the year to get a new car!!

On that note i was in my local VW dealer's and I happened to mention i was looking to buy a new car within a year and it was a 1.8T i'd like. To which he told me they had one sitting outside and as i was going back on tuesday i asked if i would be able to test drive it then? The answer was i couldnt drive it as VW insurance (theres) wouldnt cover an 18 your old but the salesman could give me a run in the car LOL!!!

Chris, yep its a pretty good area i live in, i think AB is one of the lowest crime postcodes there is.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Maybe this will push you towards the GTI...I've finally gotten a quote in my own name on my car. I'm 21, full licence for nearly 3 years, driving for nearly 4. Have only been a named driver but no claims (insurance is so mad here they seem to take named no claims into account too) and my quote is €4,100 fully comp.

That's GB£2,900!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Irish - that's a shocker mate! My first car only cost me £50 to buy, my second was only £1800 (and it was an 18 month old 200hp V8)....

Now I can see two advantages of being in my thirties:

1. Birds in their twenties want to go out with you,

2. £300 insures almost anything!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Quote: posted by Pottsy on 31/12/2003 09:50:56

Now I can see two advantages of being in my thirties:

1. Birds in their twenties want to go out with you,

2. £300 insures almost anything!

Its a hard life eh! [;)]

I'm 24 2Yrs NCB and pay £1080 with Adrian Flux on my 1.8T where do you live Chief ?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Giddy, north east of scotland

Ran the quote again, got it down to £975 haha. And thats with 1 years NCB, when i get one i'll have my 2 yrs NCB and i'll be 19 so i'll expect to get it for under £900!!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know Chris, Insurance altogether is a bit f'kd up in this country good for me though in this case. Can't complain though as i'll be driving my 1.8T at 19yrs old :D

Feel sorry for the rest of you paying high premiums, i know how you feel cause i paid £1350 for my 1.4 the first year i insured it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.