Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Im just moving into a new place this week and would like to get an LCD tv, that I can run my pc, Sky and PS2 through.

I have seen this one :-

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5291924/Trail/C%24cip%3D49550.Sound%2Band%2Bvision%3EC%24cip%3D49579.Televisions%3EC%24cip%3D49585.LCD%2Band%2Bplasma%2Btelevisions.htm

Which seems a reasonable price for the size, I know it isnt a great make, would this be highlighted in the picture quality?

Ideall thats the kinda figure I would like to spend, but if I had to pay a little more for a possibly better quality item then that may make sense

I dont really know much about these big screen tv's, at the mo I have a 14" portable in my bedroom, lol and we have a Sony 21" downstairs.

Could anyone recommend a good tv or know if this one seems ok?

Thanks in advance

Dave [:)]

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
i can HIGHLY recomend Samsung LCD tv's. Ive just bought a 26" for the bedroom. R7 series, HD ready, LCD, and im blown away with it. ?450 inc delivery. Very hard to find one in stock tho due to rave reviews its been getting.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hi, it's hard to tell without seeing it working but it seems a bit cheap to me. The best thing to do is go somewhere where you can see a lot of TVs working with a good non-HD signal feeding them and compare.

I bought a 32" LCD in November and after a lot of looking my initial budget climbed and I ended up spending more than the orginal ?700 I had as my budget to get something that had a quality picutre and was built to be as future proof as possible. I got a Panasonic TX32LXD600 (they do an older model the D60 which isn't bad). The D600 gave the best VFM in my opinion.

One of the better ones at a lower price was a Sharp LC-32GA6E around ?700 if I remember.

You need to check how the set can handle scrolling text, a good test is the ticker banner on Sky Sports News as cheaper sets have loads of motion blur on the text. This will be a sign of how the set will handle fast scrolling action in films/sports etc.

The contrast ration has to be high. That Bush set has 600:1, the Samsung sets are pushing 6000:1 this will give a better depth of blacks. Check the black out in general if it looks slightly blue/green then darker films/tv programmes are going to be hard to watch.

Like I say though go and look at them with your own eyes.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thats a great price for a 32" lcd!

Just bought the new sony bravia for my front room. If you want quality I can reccomend that but you'll need a bit more dosh.

For the price though I think that looks like a good tv. I bet the ps2 kicks ass in 32" widescreen!

·
Registered
309 Posts
have a check and see what the colour ratio is the higher the better i got my second one a samsung 32 for the bedroom was told these are one of the best types to go for got mine on play.com for around 630 quid everywhere else it seem to be at least 750.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for the info people, I think my buget would only stretch to about 500 sheets max really!

Maybe id be better with a slightly smaller screen, but of a better quality make?

I did see quite a few on ebay, but I feel a bit loathed to buy something I cant see working first!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
If you are after cheap Tescos are doing 32" Goodmans for ?399. Much better looking than that Bush one!!

The beauty being you can see, touch and test them first, plus if they do go wrong, you can just put it in the car and pop down the road for a no quibble replacement/refund (unlike all the hassle you would go through if you bought on th enet...)

Granted not the best unit, but ?400 for a 32"...

Also worth a look at your local Richer Sounds. Intermittently they have unbeatable offers on 32s.

If you can stretch the budget, do. For example, and again Tesco, ?800 buys you an LG 42" plasma or a Toshiba 37" Regla LCD unit.

I went down there at the weekend with a mate who was after a new TV, and we walked out with the 37" Toshiba. Picture is superb, it looks the business, and you have the usual supermarket no quibble warranty.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think its already been mentioned but a good place to compare picture quality would be a big chain like commet or curries. They usually runn all their TV's from a singal p1ss poor signal (appart from the HD demo displays). This lets you compare all the brands with the same signal strength. The pictures usually look quite poor but with a good quality aerial supply the pics much better. Its realy easy to see which brands have the best quality picture this way... and its the main reason I bought the new Bravia [:D] because it kick ass on all the others!

Choice is yours wether to go for a smaller quality TV or a larger budget one but I would use your room size to make this decision... bigger the room = bigger the TV!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I recently bought a 26" Sony Bravia LCD from Makro. Arogs have them for 600 i believe, mine came at 480 inc VAT. Really good telly and a nice looking one. I did have a look at that Bush one but waited till the Sony one came on offer. The Bush surround is a bit too big and bulky.

Do you have a Makro near you fella??

Carl

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I recently bought a 26" Sony Bravia LCD from Makro. Arogs have them for 600 i believe, mine came at 480 inc VAT. Really good telly and a nice looking one. I did have a look at that Bush one but waited till the Sony one came on offer. The Bush surround is a bit too big and bulky.

Do you have a Makro near you fella??

Carl
Where did u get the Sony for ?480 mate?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ahh, just saw the Sony came from Makro, how do u find about wot they have without going to the store? can u buy online? The nearest to me are about an hour away

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Hello fella, basically to go into makro you need a own a company. Like a cash and carry type of place but bigger. My old dear got her card donkeys years ago with the help of a mate she knew there. Now all you need is a couple invoices etc and make up a company name.

All the best deals that makro have on are published in their Makro Mail and theres a new ones every fortnight or something. You cant order on-line. After i bought my telly, which i think is the nuts, a close mate of mine bought the Samsung 32" LCD from PC world of all places. He paid 700+ for it. Two weeks later another mate found exactly the sme telly of the net and bought it for 480!!! It got delivered a week later.

I ll defo get the link for you fella, cause its a really really nice black telly.

Give me a day or something.

Carl [:D]

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Those ones at Richer Sounds do seem quite good, but im not sure if they do 0% finance, I have got the cash to pay for it but if it can stay in my bank for 6 months or a year id rather do it that way!

I know Argos do 6 months and I think Hughes do 12 months

Still really unsure if I need a 32" or if to just go for a 26"

Out of makes, would Hitachi, Samsung of Phillps be ok? I did even see a Sony 26" at Richer Sounds for ?499!

·
Registered
615 Posts
After 2 weeks of looking about, and reading various reviews I ordered a Samsung LE32R74BDX last night from http://www.letsgodigital.co.uk/

?589 inc next day delivery. Found out about lets go digital and the TV from www.pricerunner.co.uk

From everything I've read the picture is amazing quality, and the only draw backs are 1 HDMI not 2, and the sounds a little lacking, but this doesn't bother me as I will be hooking it upto the sorround sound for Movies/LOST etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts