Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where the best place to earth this is? Am I right in thinking there is an earthing point somewhere behind the dash? Hopefully I do not have to trail an earthing wire all the way into the boot!

Am i better mounting it in the glove box or is there anywhere suitable up behind my dash?

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
I used to have one of these babies (when I had my Anni Gti)

Wiring is well simple. Everything is plug and play.

The amp is tiny, it will fit into the glovebox top shelf (where you normally keep the car manual). wiring can be fed thru a small hole made into the back of the glovebox.

Earth point can be made by connecting to any metal part behind the glove box, or you can run the earth to the headunit's earth wire.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
We were you able to buy one of these amps from ?

I've been looking out for one for ages and never been able to find one to buy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have seen them on eBay recently for silly money (like a fiver). Someone from here emailed me about fiting them, and sent me the link for them.

Earthwise, I think it is in the loom isn't it? You get a loom with the amp that interpts the Head unit loom, and that includes the earth.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
771 Posts
Quote: posted by Laura on 28/01/2005 21:37:18

Am i better mounting it in the glove box or is there anywhere suitable up behind my dash?

You mean "we" [:p]

Cheers for the heads up GTI Fly [:)]

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yup got mine on ebay for ?30!!

thanks for the help guys

TDI boy - yeah the earth is in the loom

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
So are they any good? the Gamma's power output is pretty poor - would this really make a big difference?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think so. It certainly persuaded me to keep the Gamma over an after market h/u (keeps the fatory look too). I have had mine for about 18 months, I paid more 2nd hand than they are on ebay now and I still don't regret it! Far easier to install than a true 4-channel amp to the doors too.

After all it depends what you are after. I wasn't after a loadsamoney big volume install (done that) I want to be able to hear the music (ie you can only hear it properly when you can feel it!) without distortion at motorway noise sort of levels. It certainly does that, and keeps the factory look (had head units stolen from prev. 2 cars).

Mark

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Do you know what the RMS power output is? and can the stock speakers handle the power ok as I don't to change them.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Guys I was just about to buy myself a pre 1999 Blaupunkt Gamma to replace the Sony POS Gamma in my 2002. However assuming this works with the Sony Gamma, will it improve the abss and clarity to at least the standard of the Blaupunkt Gamma? Its a very cheap solution, plenty on Ebay for ?30

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sem, the adverts claim the output at 55W but I couldn't say i that was RMS or PMPO. The stock speakers can certianly handle it, and actually sound good on it too - I have not upgraded mine! I have read some people on here putting 100W+ amps through the stock components....

I would still add a Sub, but that personal preference! [:D]

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
154 Posts
Quote: posted by Mikedav on 29/01/2005 22:28:57

Guys I was just about to buy myself a pre 1999 Blaupunkt Gamma to replace the Sony POS Gamma in my 2002. However assuming this works with the Sony Gamma, will it improve the abss and clarity to at least the standard of the Blaupunkt Gamma? Its a very cheap solution, plenty on Ebay for ?30

I am running mine on a 1998 Blaupunkt Gamma, and it improves that no end! couldn't say regarding the sony gamma.

Mark

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
I found the sony amp made the sound much LOUDER, and a tiny bit clearer and bassier.

It made a slight difference, but of course you can't compare it to a proper amp and component speakers.

If you are wanting to booost up the standard set up by 30%, then this is your easiest way

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
All I am personally after is the sound quality I had in my old Bora; the Gamma in there produced decent bass and a fair bit of volume, and thats all I really need TBH - Becker levels of quality can come much later. At the moment I get into my sisters Mini One and her stock item kicks the poo out of the Sony Gamma, which is pathetic.

If the sound on top only makes it louder, it sounds like the best combo would be a Blaupunkt Gamma with the amp? Sorry to slightly jack your thread Laura!

·
Registered
135 Posts
BTW if you need an earthing point, there is one just bt the passenger footwell.

Below the glovebox, where the plastic door sill ends, there's a plastic cover which should look like a backwards "L" shape.

Remove this and there's an earthing point behind there.

HTH

1 - 20 of 33 Posts