Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, fuel light came on today at 352 miles[:O]

I do most of my mile on the M5 or dual carrigways so am mostly at 70-80mph.

I know 18's dont help, but surely not that much difference! normally ive been getting 450ish to a tank and thought thats ok etc even though people reckon 500-60 iles per tank!

I have the merc MAF (had it over a year now i think) and the car still pull very strongly through the gears, so that sounds fine to me, but may try a vw bosh one.

Anyone got any ideas as im thinking if it stays like that then a 1.8T is in order!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Have you run the car through the vagcom mate to see if any fault codes have come up. Could be anything but nowing what maf probs are like its a good place to start.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
only faults on vag com were heated mirros and intermitent ignition switch, cleared them and nothing came back up.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm, funny you say that, hadnt thought about it then just been on my interenet banking as i couldnt remember where i refulled last and it refreshed my memory. ?40.06p at Red Apple service station. Never fueled there before, and i reckon never again! got a full tank from Shell now, so lets see how that goes!

BTW, deadlock, dom etc, thats the petrol sation just past TGI Fridays and just before the Shell garage just before where you turn up to the train station in cheltenham!

Reckon i should put some kind of fuel aditive in?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Quote: posted by LiQuOrIcE on 08/12/2004 22:18:29

hmmm, funny you say that, hadnt thought about it then just been on my interenet banking as i couldnt remember where i refulled last and it refreshed my memory. ?40.06p at Red Apple service station. Never fueled there before, and i reckon never again! got a full tank from Shell now, so lets see how that goes!

BTW, deadlock, dom etc, thats the petrol sation just past TGI Fridays and just before the Shell garage just before where you turn up to the train station in cheltenham!

Reckon i should put some kind of fuel aditive in?

Yeah I know that one, I never use it- (oh BTW 4mo should be her this Sat!)[^]

·
Registered
646 Posts
Thought it could be the effect of winterised diesel (which I beleive we get) I used to get slightly worse mpg in the 130 during the winter months.

That said it is a hefty drop. Bunged up air filter maybe?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hmm hope you get to the bottom of it, let us all know as well.

I replaced my maf about a 4 - 6 weeks ago, first tank 520 miles that was with a heavy right foot because I just couldn't get over how quick it was in comparision to before. Down to 450 at the moment and dropping - my mate with vagcom has just got back off holiday so time to plug it in at some point soon.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
right, couldnt find my keys then remembered they were in the ignition!

Air box clean as a whistle, infact everything looked fine. Hope it was just the fuel. will keep you updated.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote: posted by Foxy on 08/12/2004 23:12:20

Take zehandbrakestoppingdevize off!

can't be that Foxy, dash tells you you left it on - bings constantly

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sounds a bit thirsty to me. My tuning boxed 110 can just about squeeze 640 miles on a tank of derv (with venting). I drive moderately, not fast, but not slow.

·
Registered
293 Posts
LiQuOrIcE, my 110 has shown a definate drop in MPG in the last two weeks and this morning on the way to work i was sure it wasn't pulling as good. I think its the winter diesel. Maybe the ECU needs a fill up or two to adjust. Either way, its a bit of a co-incidence.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How much do you get normally to a tank?

My MPG was pretty good on the way to work today, so im hoping the massive drop was due to rubbish diesel last time i filled up.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Chaps sorry to change topic slightly but what is the MAF[?]

I was interested in this topic because I own a PD130 and never ever get 450 miles to a tank! Well if I dive like my gran then yes but still my friend has the 180bhp T and we do the same jourenys to work well almost (she does about 10miles extra) and she gets about 400 to a tank too?

I just assumed figures like 500-600mpg were only possible if doing motorway miles but now I'm begining to wonder if I have a MAF problem[?]

any advise would be gratefully appreictaed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
With venting I get about 50 quid in. Put Ultimate diesel in the other day and just got to 53 quid! It definitely goes further than the standard stuff though, even if performance isn't much different.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts