Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody recommend something to help stop minor rattles between dashboard pieces?

Something like very thin sticky back foam on a roll maybe?

What have you used?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've heard that something like Blu-Tac can help... or even just getting some velcro (the soft part) might do the trick

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
You suffering as well Gary? Me too, im constantly sat at traffic lights re-adjusting this and tw***ing that lol, getting to the point now where im considering giving the car to a friend who owns an ICE/Security place for a couple of days and telling him to cure the rattles!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Gary, you can get sticky felt pads from B&Q, thats what i used, green ones are quite thin and the brown ones a bit thicker. The soft side of velcro is a bti too thick, but i suppose that depends where your putting it [;)]

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Go to B&Q Gary. In the plumbing section they sell very thin foam for insulating pipes.

It is self sticky and very thin. Exactly what you are looking for.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote: posted by Stewart on 22/01/2005 14:53:53

You suffering as well Gary? Me too, im constantly sat at traffic lights re-adjusting this and tw***ing that lol, getting to the point now where im considering giving the car to a friend who owns an ICE/Security place for a couple of days and telling him to cure the rattles!

Oh yes, I suppose thats the price you pay for Koni coilovers set quite low with and hard damper settings coupled with a poly dogbone bush!!

Im mainly getting it from around the centre console and glovebox.

Its irritating as sometimes you want to drive without the radio to hear that turbo spool [:D]

·
Registered
348 Posts
[legend]GaryM

Its irritating as sometimes you want to drive without the radio to hear that turbo spool [:D]

Same here very annoying! it seems i cure one rattle and a new one starts.[:(!]

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yea gary i have the same prob but my creaking was coming from the parcel shelf so i sorted that with a bit of double sided foam pads cut up in thin pieces. i thought i cured the creaking now its started to come from the dash i cant be arsed anymore. just put music up loud lol

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Quote: posted by GaryM on 22/01/2005 16:49:20

Yep, exactly the same. The glove box door (don't know what else to call it) is one offender. Some bits of sticky backed felt between the door and the dash will help. Managed to get some in black over here and they are hardly noticeable when you open the glove box.

My other major one sounds as if it's coming from behind the vents in the centre of the dash. Most annoying. In places where you need something a little more substantial, I have used sound deadening pads from Frosts on my Lancia with good results. You don't get much for your money though.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I've got a couple of REALLY annoying rattles in the Bora, one i think is the armrest lid, the other sems to be coming from the cupholder/radio area somewhere

That'll teach me for pulling the dash apart to fit the ali trim....! [;)][:D]

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
haha, the powerflex bushes dont help!

you can get a sort of black sticky mastic, like bluetac on a roll secifically for automotive use, fitting between panels etc. Its the sort of stuff you sometimes get with speaker kits that you use to stick the speaker grils in place once they are fitted.

Try a car bodyshop consumables supplier

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've ordered some of the stuff that Dave recommended from Vagparts so I'll see how I get on with that!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Quote: posted by simch on 22/01/2005 22:24:21

haha, the powerflex bushes dont help!

you can get a sort of black sticky mastic, like bluetac on a roll secifically for automotive use, fitting between panels etc. Its the sort of stuff you sometimes get with speaker kits that you use to stick the speaker grils in place once they are fitted.

Try a car bodyshop consumables supplier

That stuff is good. Didn't know it was readily available as an aftermarket product.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
They joy of rattles!! the Mk5 is the rattaliest car I have ever owned, and I've had a couple of Peugeots!

I would have thought a 20k car would have had a better put together interior :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts