Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or is this forum filling up with morons?
The above quote is from another thread, and whilst maybe a bit sharp djhorace [:)], I agree with the sentiments completely.

I was going to stick this in another thread but I think it deserves one of it's own.

I haven't been here as long as the old timers [;)] but even in two years I've noticed the quality of the posts dropping, and the attitude of some new members changing. Also the attitude of some older members has been different due to the current climate getting their backs up. There used to be a feeling of respect and of earning the right to be on the forum, I know the forum is public but it is a community, a club without membership where there was a certain amount of respect for fellow members.

Some of the posts in recent threads have been appalling, with mock swearing and total disrespect. We all have opinions and whether we agree with them or not they should be able to be aired. But recently I've read mocking posts with the rubbish type of other forum language such as you've been 'flamed' and 'owned' which I'm sorry, are we in the playground? Surely the majority of us owner members are all over 17 as hopefully we are legally driving.

Yes it is a forum and we can all hide behind keyboards, but try and think of how you would have a conversation about something in the 'real' world. Would you instantly start swearing at someone because of their views, no I didn't think so.

Txt language seems to be a bain of most board members but the moderators still let it persist, as they do the seemingly new trend of mock swear words. Please mods have a think about the way the board is monitored!

This isn't a moan about mkiv owners (as I am one, and proud of it) and to call the mkv owners snobs etc is again disrespect as it was a lot of them who built this forum into what it is and have been members with a impartial, polite and fun voice over the years.

Are the divisions and problems we are starting to see the beginning of an indication that some of us are getting older, and don't like the attitude of the young? Is it a general reflection on society and the general lack of respect for others? Is it that we are trying to preserve standards in a public forum and it is time for the forum to go private with a membership fee? Are some of these new members even young, or are we tarring them with the same brush?

What are the answers, and what are other members opinions both new and old? Please bear in mind the sentiment of this post when answering and let's not reduce this thread to a battle between new and old, mkiv and mkv.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've just joined here, so obviously I cannot comment on what it used to be like on here. But I find that this is a lot better than other forums that I am a member of. I've had a good browse and for the most part I've seen brilliant feedback and very useful posts/replies.

Everyone has they're own opinions, and its a fact of life that some people do not get along, but from what I have seen the admins here do a pretty good job, and the personal issues and stupidity stay off the posts.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't get me wrong it is a lot better than other places I've had the joy to drop into or be a part of and yes the mods do do a good job. It's just there feels like an undercurrent of unrest is starting to seep through some of the long term members. It would be a shame to loose them or to see the board splitting into two camps Mkiv/Mkv as I've seen suggested.

I would just like an open discussion on the views of all members to try and come to some sort of general agreement on the standard of posts etc to help nip in the bud any future unrest.

I think the peace to all Christmas message has gone to my head. [:D]

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would just like an open discussion on the views of all members to try and come to some sort of general agreement on the standard of posts etc to help nip in the bud any future unrest.
Good idea [Y] If members aren't happy it should be discussed.

I for one wouldn't like it split into MK IV and MK V forums.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Re: The mock swearing.

Im sure the forum uses some kind of filter, too many people using words such as "shoot" all of a sudden to be a coincidence, god dayumn, whats wrong wity'all?

As for the rest of it, thats what happens when lots of people from different cultures and background get together, I agree the quality of posts has been diluted recently, as with most forums over the winter months, people are staying in more and talking more "shoot" that usual over the internet.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
This has been discussed many times before, it's a good discussion to have though. 99% of the posts on here are good natured and genuinely helpful, of course like anything in life there is gonna be a small minority that is different from what we'd like, but as long as the majoritu of posts are alright, then i'#m quite happy. If you think this is bad, I joined up to the kentcruisers site earlier this year and most of that is alright but in some respects it's far worse than this (albeit a different ethos altogether !), we are very lucky with this site really, it's not that bad [:D]

·
Registered
6 Posts
ive noticed a few people substituting numbers for letters so they can get around the swear filter,one of these people was a "discussion leader" aswell,thats bad imo, they should be setting an example.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I must say that, generally, I don't have a problem with the forum. There are the occassional "controversial" threads but I prefer to ignore them rather than be drawn into a "virtual fight".

I think its impossible to regulate the exact content of a discussion board that has around 16000 members - there are always going to be people who get upset with a comment and equally, there will be those that don't rise to the bait.

I'm not aware of any mk5 snobbery either - is there any ? As far as I'm aware, we're all members because we love the cars we drive ( or aspire to drive ). I've met some great people through this place too - and I don't give 2 hoots whether someone has a mk4 1.4 or a mk5 R32 ( or any model in between ).

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
If you think this is bad, I joined up to the kentcruisers site earlier this year and most of that is alright but in some respects it's far worse than this (albeit a different ethos altogether !), we are very lucky with this site really, it's not that bad [:D]
I agree, Dan. I'm also on southerndubbers, Phatdubs and PVW and I must admit that I prefer it here

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
If you think this is bad, I joined up to the kentcruisers site earlier this year and most of that is alright but in some respects it's far worse than this (albeit a different ethos altogether !), we are very lucky with this site really, it's not that bad [:D]
I agree, Dan. I'm also on southerndubbers, Phatdubs and PVW and I must admit that I prefer it here
Bog off dad, were not interested in your opinion [:O] [:p] [;)] hehe.. ooops wrong forum, heh. But seriously though, I quite agree with ya [Y]

Southerndubbers ? I'll have to check that one out ! [:D]

PM your email too matey [H]

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I don't see the current climate must worse than before  -it goes through peaks and troughs or good content/bad content.  I think over the last year the forum has been in a bit of a lull content wise.  There are very few new mods being done to the MKIV as almost everything unique has been covered before and there is very little to discover left.  Also there are very few mods done to the MKV, partly because it it too new for most owners to do anything drastic and partly as VW actually did a pretty good job in the first place in fixing the gripes people had with the MKIV.  In terms of the lounge, my comment about splitting into MKIV and MKV forums was just a joke.  I like to get my dig in about MKIV drivers and diesels drivers equally, having been both in the past. 

·
Registered
333 Posts
I must say that, generally, I don't have a problem with the forum. There are the occassional "controversial" threads but I prefer to ignore them rather than be drawn into a "virtual fight".

I think its impossible to regulate the exact content of a discussion board that has around 16000 members - there are always going to be people who get upset with a comment and equally, there will be those that don't rise to the bait.

I'm not aware of any mk5 snobbery either - is there any ? As far as I'm aware, we're all members because we love the cars we drive ( or aspire to drive ). I've met some great people through this place too - and I don't give 2 hoots whether someone has a mk4 1.4 or a mk5 R32 ( or any model in between ).
We have always had Moron's - now there is just more of them. Can we split the Off Topic Forum into MKIV and MKV, so at least there is somewhere good to hide. [:p]
Its just that comments like this one posted by milkfloat are worded in a way not to offend...... but you know the real meaning of what they are saying.

ie... now the mk4 is affordable to the masses, the mk4 area is becoming full of morons.

Or maybe its me taking it the comment the wrong way[:D]

·
Registered
918 Posts
Sites as great as ever.

People not reading the entire threads before making comments can be tiresome.

There is a lot of banter on the site, which I personally find a positive thing.

Now Walrus, stop reading this and make me some lunch - preferably not the warmed over remnants of whatever it was that you reduced to its carbon state last night.

To save any confusion the last sentence is light hearted banter.

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Some of the posts in recent threads have been appalling, with mock swearing and total disrespect.

I agree that this has definately on the increase, but what i think is: Are you able to say a whole sentance or paragraph without swearing? Is there and need to swear when we are a community? Do you normally swear when talking to other people?

Yes it is a forum and we can all hide behind keyboards, but try and think of how you would have a conversation about something in the 'real' world. Would you instantly start swearing at someone because of their views, no I didn't think so.

I agree, and just putting in a plain arguement for the sake of it, even though it isnt needed.

Are the divisions and problems we are starting to see the beginning of an indication that some of us are getting older, and don't like the attitude of the young?

I wouldnt say that really, there are quite a few young members on here (me being one of them, being 21) some of which are quite respectful, but others do let us young people down [:(]

Is it that we are trying to preserve standards in a public forum and it is time for the forum to go private with a membership fee?

I did think that as well, if it gets too bad charge people for being a member. But then how would it work with the current members? Would they have to pay as well? I think it would be a good idea for things like running costs of the site though.

·
Registered
333 Posts
To save any confusion the last sentence is light hearted banter.
All the threads are keyboard banter afterall, nothing in any of the threads in here to be taken to heart....

Also the majority of us on here are lucky enough to have these fiery debates whilst getting paid from our employers. [:D]

happy christmas everyone...& leave the keys behind if your going for a drink this afternoon

·
Registered
2,735 Posts

We have always had Moron's - now there is just more of them. Can we split the Off Topic Forum into MKIV and MKV, so at least there is somewhere good to hide. [:p]
Its just that comments like this one posted by milkfloat are worded in a way not to offend...... but you know the real meaning of what they are saying.

ie... now the mk4 is affordable to the masses, the mk4 area is becoming full of morons.

Or maybe its me taking it the comment the wrong way[:D]
Yes completely the wrong way - although the simley should have given you a clue. Remember I was a MKIV driver far longer than I have been a MKV driver.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Appologies ... its my fault for taking it the wrong way.

The Missus is due to give birth next week (and i havent had any for months)[:D][W][:D]
..... so im a bit stressed/tired and feel argumentative.[:$]

·
Registered
918 Posts
& leave the keys behind if your going for a drink this afternoon

How do I get back in the house then?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is great. A bit of chat and discussion in a friendly kind of way.

I was probably a bit rash in my long rant this morning, but I do think we need to remember that we are all members of one big community.

I'm off in a bit for a last work Christmas lunch, so have a great afternoon all.

Peace and love guys!! [:)]

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 54 Posts