Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
These types of auctions been around before and always seem to be for pre-apporoved bidders only. I suspect it's some kind of money laundering.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
There was an auction like that for an R32 that got pulled last night. Same buy it now price and pre approved bidders

·
Registered
447 Posts
an astute eBayer will spot the glaringly obvious issue with this auction straight away

its the good old "Contact me on this address [email protected] as my ebay address is full"

Translates to I have hijacked this account and if you use the ask seller a question link the accout owner will get the email not me

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
You send yoru deposit, or sometimes the full amount before seeing the car, because its 'such a good price'. You never see the car or your money ever again.

How it works!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I went along with one of these auctions once for a laugh. Seller had a 3 year old BMW 320d for ?3000 in Italy, was willing to deliver it to me. Went through it all and eventually I got an e-mail "from ebay" asking me to send the money by paypal. Being an IT bod, I checked out the IP address the "ebay" e-mail was sent from, it was from an AOL BB account! I challenged him on it his e-mail address had been pulled along with the auction!

Good fun, had nothing to loose as I was not going to send any money until car was delivered, he didn't like my suggestion that I'd buy him a Ferry ticket directly!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I did the same too as Brassic_lint. The car was a fully specced UK R32 in Italy with a buy it now price of ?3800! I told the seller that the market value was much more than this as all R32 owners would know. However, I was asked by the seller to send the money through Western Union and she would arrange the delivery via 'safe and secure' shipment to a port of my choice. Not only that, I also got a mystery email from eBay, supposedly, to recommend that doing business with this particular seller was ok as she was one of eBay's more trustworthy vendors! That's when it all became the more suspicious. So anyway, I played around with her and told her that I will come to Italy in person as I would love to drive this car back across Europe. She was adamant that I didn't! I told her at least she would get the cash first hand and I wouldn't have to pay any transfer fees. She only came back and said that she herslf would pay the transfer fees! Desperation or what? She actually got mad at me and accused me of playing around with her and wasting her time (well she was right about that one!) and said if I didn't come up with the money then she would just go to another buyer who was more genuine than I was!!

~ Maxie

·
Kjohal
916 Posts
Funny you guys and gals picked up on this - I saw earlier in the week and 2003 gttdi 130pd, fully loaded for a buy it now price of ?3200 and the guy was based in Italy, i was pretty keen and thought could make a bit of cash here - so we emailed the guy and he emailed back stating it was genuine and he could ship the car to a port of our choice. although I did not follow this up (thank God) its just shows there some dodgy stuff out there - It even crossed my mind that maybe the mkiv value has dropped, but its obvious from this post there are some scammers out there.(and the value of the mkiv cant drop that low in such a short space of time) I seen a load of these on ebay since then..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts