Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment, my car has mixed speakers, and i dont like it! in this drivers door is an original VW speaker, which had the plug buthcerd and iv sort of mended it, but it sounds like theres only bass and mid-range coming from it, nothin from th tweeter...

in the passenger door theres a kenwood speaker, which sounds reasonable but thats about it.

obviosuly unmatched speakers are somewhat not ideal, and as payday is coming up id like someone to tell me what i should be ideally spending.

At the mo i have the standard beta headunit and no way to play cd's so il be looking at a new headunit too, but perobably NOT this payday.

So someone give me a ball park figure what i should be looking to sepnd on some d3ecent speakers for the front, wihout going too mad, but i do want good sound.

links please, erm.. i really dont have a figure in mind so sum1 start me off and il say higher or lower in terms of what i feel i cud happily spend.

The system wont be amped yet, but will hopefully in a few paydays

Ste!!! Cheers

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
Any known brand component speakers from about ?75 upwards if you're only going to run then from a decent high powered head unit,or about ?120 (ish) upwards if you plan on amping them up at some time.

Chris.

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
I know im asking alot, but any chance of an example of each please Chris?
Kicker ES6.2 about ?80(ish),Audiobahn ABC600T about ?120,DLS PS6A about ?160,Audiobahn ABC6002V about ?180.

Chris.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
|Cheers MattP & Chris...

one more question.. in terms of new headunits, am i better going for double DIN to nicely fill up the dash and do away with the cubby hole? if so, what sor of thing is recomended, as i understand there is far less choice in double DIN

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
There are no really decent IMHO sound quality double DIN head units if you're going to be spending decent money on the rest of the system for speakers and amps.I'd say stick with a good single DIN unit,it'll have more usefull features.

Chris.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
i listed this for dale R32 when he was asking for a ?700 budget:

Posted Image

thats everything from head unit, amp, speakers and sub and box and all the necessary wiring to get it all going.

i'd definitely go for the Genesis Profile components and i'd only buy from www.caraudiodirect.com

if you want the OEM look i'd recommend Becker head units but they're a bit more expensive.

gimme a budget and what you're looking for and i'll make a "shopping list" for you.

cheers,

jammy

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers guyd, i wouldnt need rca cables, as i work in home audio and am sure i can get top quality ones from work for next to nothin...

Do we knowif anywhereuk stocks these audiobahn speakers?

as for a budget of what to spend, it all depends how much i get paid this month, tho i expect a reasonable month, in which case somewhere around the 700 mark id imagine. UNLESS spending an extra 100 quid or so wud improve the setup massively, in which case, id happily spread it over 2 months, and get say the hgeadunit and components this month, n sub and amp next etc

Let me know what you think guys

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
Cheers guyd, i wouldnt need rca cables, as i work in home audio and am sure i can get top quality ones from work for next to nothin...

Do we knowif anywhereuk stocks these audiobahn speakers?
Unless you can get the exact length you need in RCA cables (about 5 metres),you might as well get the ones intended for in car use,?25 will get you one that will be as good as you need in a moving car,triple or single screened makes no difference in terms of noise immunity.
I work at an Audiobahn dealer,if you can't get the gear locally,PM me and I'll see what we can do.

Chris.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can get pretty much any length in the standard intervals from half a metre up to 15, or 20 metres quite easily.... 5 metres is a common one.

Although i like the OEM look, il be honest in saying i dont think much of the becker HU's.

Youve succesfully talked me out of double DIN tho, roll on payday!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right, well, not paid till the 15th but got the payslip, and its less than i had hoped for...

so, gonna spread this over a couple of months, which means this month iv about 450 to spend on components and a new Headunit, so what you all recomending? i quite like the sound of the ?180ish Audiobahns Chris mentions above.

Amp and sub should then come next month with around the same budget

Ste

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
It's a very capable head unit,but has a taller than normal face,meaning it won't be a nice neat install in a Golf,I've not actually seen one fitted as such,but I don't imagine it would fit flush?

Chris.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really dont know if there are anywhere that stocks audiobahn speakers round here, how would i know?

The name of them makes them sound good, i take it they are? im interested in the ones you quote at about 180 i think

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
I really dont know if there are anywhere that stocks audiobahn speakers round here, how would i know?

The name of them makes them sound good, i take it they are? im interested in the ones you quote at about 180 i think
PM me if you can't find them anywhere.

Chris.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
PM'd you...

Although, I have eventually had a call back. Iv been quoted ?200 with a bit of discount down to ?175... if you feel this is a good price let me know as he isnt too far from me.

Ste

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
THink im gonna get that jvc one and modify anything that needs modifying so that it looks right.....

Other thanswitched and perm live, will i have to swap any wires in the ISO connectors of the car?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts