Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aaarghh, my desktop machine its giving me some serious grief. I reckon the motherboard/chip or something is burning out. Sometimes it will not boot - won't even beep, and it keeps crashing when windows is loading or when i leave it on for more than 4 hours, taking numerous reboots. I've decided a new one is needed. This one is an old athlon 1100 with 256mb RAM, with a 17" CRT Iiyama flat-tube monitor. Don't wanna spend too much as i don't play games or owt on the pc anymore - well except solitaire!

Can anyone recommend me a decent machine. I've been to PCworld (i know) and at the moment i think this dell machine may be one i settle for. Anyone got any comments - good or bad. Thanks for the help people

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&oc=D03116&rbc=D03116&s=dhs&sbc=ukdhsrsdimen_1100_2

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
That machine above is ok, but personally I would go for this one: clicky

Better processor, double the ram. Take the warranty down to 1 year also, 3 years aint worth it, makes it ?346. Only bad point about it is it has a 15" flat panel monitor, not a 17" like the one you found. Though can be added for ?45.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Forget everything I said!

Go for this one instead. clicky

Stonking machine for the money, everyone should buy one. Much better than the one you have above and roughly the same price when you take the warranty down to 1 year.

I'm sure all the tech heads will back me up on how good a buy this one is.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that looks fantastic.  Cheers Graham.  Works out a little more expensive.....but double the HDD, RAM, and a dvd writer and P4 rather than celeron.....Winner...I think i owe you a couple of pints matey

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a quickie on delivery - it says delivery takes 7-10 days, and you have to be in to take delivery - so do i have to take some time off work just to accept this, as they won't deliver to 3rd party.  Also does that mean i will have to book 3 days off? 

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Just a quickie on delivery - it says delivery takes 7-10 days, and you have to be in to take delivery - so do i have to take some time off work just to accept this, as they won't deliver to 3rd party. Also does that mean i will have to book 3 days off?
If you buy the 'basic' system from Dell, i.e. don't add anything onto it it normally leaves the warehouse the next day. They just build the order, though on these they often have a few built anyway.

I bought one 3 weeks ago, bought on the friday, was at my house on the Tuesday. They tend to deliver in the evenings, at least where I am anyway, so I get all my dell orders around 7.30pm.

Normally you will get a call from the couriers or Dell to arrange a convinient delivery time.

·
Registered
495 Posts
You need to be quick with the Dell offers. I was 'umming and ahhing' over a Dimension 1100 celeron system (yeah I know) that I saw in the paper... it came with a free screen upgrade to 19"TFT and was ?299 inclusive of delivery. When I was ready to place the order it had reverted back to a 17" TFT and gone up by ?30.. [8o|]

C

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
You need to be quick with the Dell offers. I was 'umming and ahhing' over a Dimension 1100 celeron system (yeah I know) that I saw in the paper... it came with a free screen upgrade to 19"TFT and was ?299 inclusive of delivery. When I was ready to place the order it had reverted back to a 17" TFT and gone up by ?30.. [8o|]

C
Yep, dell offers are changing constantly!

I did the same with the laptop I posted. Believe it or not, that laptop was down to ?229! I was thinking shall I, shan't I, then it went up to ?289 the next day! Now the ?289 seems to be ?349!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just spotted this tasty little number... includes 19" TFT, wireless keyboard/mouse, TV Tuner, MCE remote and win MCE 2005 for only ?379!!!

305-D03316 (Home) - ?379 delivered
Intel? Pentium? 4 Processor 521 with HT technology (2.80GHz, 800MHz fsb, 1MB cache)
Genuine Windows? XP Media Center Edition 2005
Save ?110 inc VAT
512MB Dual Channel DDR 400MHz (2X256MB DIMM) Memory
80GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
16 X DVD +/- RW + DVD 5.1 Power Software + Sonic Software for DVD/RW+R
Dell E196FP 19" Midnight Grey (TCO99) Flat Panel Monitor
Integrated Intel? Graphics Media Accelerator 900
Integrated Analogue TV tuner PCI card and Dell MCE remote control
Integrated Audio with Dolby Digital 7.1 capability
Dell v92 Data/Fax modem
Mouse Included in Wireless Keyboard and Mouse option

Reduce warranty to 1yr

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Pound for pound, you can't beat the likes of Dell, it's a common misconception that you can build it cheaper yourself. Not to the same quality. Dell has massive buying power on components and stuff, and while home users often save costs by using dodgy copies of Windows, the overall package just isn't as good. I've installed a lot of Dell and recently Sony Vaio desktop machines, they are so well tuned in terms of their noise output as well, it's stunning. Home built PCs just don't have that same level of engineering - although I got close, building a PC for a mate, I was cutting wires in fans and fitting resistors (yes I know you can get software fan control but I'm a bit old skool here [:p]).

Having said all that, I do enjoy building PCs occasionally.

·
Registered
582 Posts
have you looked at mesh? www.meshcomputers.com They seem to always rank pretty high in magazine tests and prices are on a par with Dell (at least they used to be)

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Tis true. You cannot get close to Dell now in terms of price to match the quality.

Dell buy direct from the manufacturer cutting out the middle man. They have links with people such as Logitech and their monitors are made by a certain manufacturer but can't remember which. They can go to the manufacturer and say 'Right, we want 10 million mice built for us, how much'.

If you built one of the above specs for home for the same price you would have a cheap, tacky, noisy computer. Go on to overclockers and get yourself a silent PSU. Theres ?40 of your budget gone! Add a decent case like Dell's, theres ?60....?100 gon on just the case and PSU.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts