Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Someone owes me money but won't pay

6K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  andymac 
#1 ·
I lent someone some money last year but tey still havn't paid me back. I've asked for it loads of times but every suggestion I make they have another excuse, it wasn't even that much money but now their just taking the p*ss. There's no point in threatening them because they won't have any money on them so anyone got any ideas as to how I could get it back?

#2 ·
Unless you have signed T&C's there is no way you can lawfully get the money back, your word against there. It is a learning curve though. I lent ?900 to my mate a couple of years ago and he paid me back every month plus interest. There was a lot of trust there though. However, no signed statement or anything so if he had decided to walk off, nothing I could do. Don't sound like a very good friend!

#3 ·
Sounds nasty to me

and i have been there and it was not a small amount

i lent it to a so called friend so he could set up his new buisness 2000 quid in total[:mad:]

so i went round and removed a LOAD of power tools and such from his workshop and that was the last i seen of him!!!!

good riddens if you ask me LOL

IF he owns a car then go round and take the wheels off and then he is stuffed[Y]Andy

#10 ·
I don't know how little the amount was but you have three options:

1/ Small claims court.

2/ Seek revenge and probably get arrested for something or other.

3/ Understand that you've "paid" ?X to find out your supposed mate's an arsehole who you'll have nothing more to do with and just accept the loss. It's probably worth the money to find out he/she's someone you can't rely on rather than finding out in a time of emergency.

#12 ·
Whats the effing point of the police then? Use your brains guys. If someone is registered as a drug user, they are part of a list that is screened everytime a drug related crime occurs. If the guy's habbit increases to the point that he has to steal to get the drugs.... he's a criminal. Drugs cause a massive amount crime to feed habits.

And to be honest, morally your doing your "friend" a favor by shopping him to the police as it may scare him off the drugs... then again may not. But any long time drug user isn't worth being associated to via friendship anyway. IMHO

#13 ·
Whats the effing point of the police then? Use your brains guys. If someone is registered as a drug user, they are part of a list that is screened everytime a drug related crime occurs. If the guy's habbit increases to the point that he has to steal to get the drugs.... he's a criminal. Drugs cause a massive amount crime to feed habits.

And to be honest, morally your doing your "friend" a favor by shopping him to the police as it may scare him off the drugs... then again may not. But any long time drug user isn't worth being associated to via friendship anyway. IMHO
You really have no experience of drugs/users or the police have you!!! if any thing he would be better taking his mate to the GP, your attitude and perception is about 20 years outdated...

#14 ·
Looks like you're just going to have to cut your losses & put it down to experience. Now you know never have anything to do with him again

Just ring up crime stoppers & report him for dealing or being a kiddy fiddler, should get your moneys worth there [Y]
Although the idea sounds funny, nobody deserves to have false paedophile allegations hanging over their head, those kind of things can completely destroy lives

#18 ·
"Don't threaten him, go round and punch f**k out of him, or pay someone to knee cap him. That's what money launderers would do."

To be honest, I know a few "Loan Sharks" unfortunately, and breaking someones legs is the last thing they would do, 95% of people wouldn't dare default in the first place anyhow.

#19 ·
How about telling your mate that you have a huge bag of super strength skunk going cheap,

but you need the money up front, tell him you are goint to pick it up then either keep the money he owes you or get a bag of leaves out of your garden and tell him its is new stuff which has just come in from amsterdam!!!

#21 ·
How many of you would actually go round and 'break a kneecap' or 'do him one'. Maybe 1 or 2 (and not aiming it at anyone!) but in reality, not many people would.

Small claims court would ask to see documentry evidence. Whats to stop me taking andymac for instance to a small claims court saying I gave him 25 crates of budweiser to sell on and I never got my money. Nothing, Im making it up and its my word against his. Small claims is not an option here.

There really is nothing you can do. As for shopping him, unless he's dealing the police would not be interested in the slightest.

As for shopping him as a peado....way out of line.

#24 ·

You really have no experience of drugs/users or the police have you!!! if any thing he would be better taking his mate to the GP, your attitude and perception is about 20 years outdated...
You obviously don't know a thing about me do you? Have you watched a friend go off the rails because he got hooked on drugs ? I have. He started on smoking a bit of dope and by the end he was hooked on crack. Don't effing leature me on my view point on drugs.

Drugs are the root of most petty crime when you dig deap enough. Get of your high horse and see it from another point of view.

Yes GPs would be a good route etc etc.

#25 ·
As someone stated above, could you not sell the debt to debt recovery firm? do they not have the power of making a note against your credit rating. This would pretty much stop the person from getting an shape or form of credit in the future.

Sorry if this is a load of rubbish.

I know how you feel, im sure most of us have been in a similar boat to yourself, i just chalked it up to experence, swallowed the big lump in my throat and got on with things.

I do hope you get this situation resolved in your favour!

Good luck

Noel

#26 ·
As someone stated above, could you not sell the debt to debt recovery firm? do they not have the power of making a note against your credit rating. This would pretty much stop the person from getting an shape or form of credit in the future.
This is a debt between friend so I doubt there would be evidence that there is actually a debt to be sold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.