Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Ok as i've said above i need a hand with choosing a half decent Air Cone filter

I got a full ABD Racing Cold Air Intake but i need a good cone to sit on the end! iv tried a couple of cone but they seem to right S*#T to be honest and i tried the modified air box thing last night and i was quite suprised with how smooth the car seemed to run and the exhaust seemed to get a little deeper in noise which i really like but i really can't be doing without the dumping/recirc noise i get from my forge diverter valve!

Anyone got any suggestions for a big, good suction cone please?? (please no vulger comments) LOL.

P.S. RS_GOLF would a cossie cone similar to yours go on a CAI???

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had a Pipercross cone filter on my old 1.6 16v and although the performance didn't really increase, it did make a great noise. I've heard a few people slate them and I'm certainly not sure how they would perform on a 1.8T but I was pretty pleased with it.

Power-Tec (?) seem to be building a pretty good reputation for themselves as well but again I've no real experience of them

Good luck with it anyway.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice one Boraman will certainly take the power tec into account!

Might be a stupid question, But would a HKS mushroom filter work on the end of a CAI? i know its foam and just wondered if it could work? does anyone know?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now i know theres more than one of you out there with a cone air filter!

Come on guys give us your comments on the different air filters about or ones you've tried and tested yourself?

Much appreciated

Joe

·
Registered
873 Posts
Dont buy an induction kit type cone filter that just sits near the maf as it will slow you down. You wont relise it untill you put the airbox back on and feel how much quicker it gets! The only way to run a cone filter is to buy or make a heatsheild and get a feed up near the cone to stop the heat.

2nd option is to buy a CAI wich will suck cold air from near the bumper not the engine then transport it in a sort of heat resistant tube to the engine, there for reducing heat.

Remmeber, the colder the better.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Dont buy an induction kit type cone filter that just sits near the maf as it will slow you down. You wont relise it untill you put the airbox back on and feel how much quicker it gets! The only way to run a cone filter is to buy or make a heatsheild and get a feed up near the cone to stop the heat.

2nd option is to buy a CAI wich will suck cold air from near the bumper not the engine then transport it in a sort of heat resistant tube to the engine, there for reducing heat.

He already knows that? as he already has a CAI, as mentioned in the first post.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

@ Joe - The problem you will have with the size of the cone filter is the space behind the bumper. Due to you having a R32 front bumper you should have more room than a standard GTI bumper. Don?t think a Cosworth one will fit.<o:p></o:p>

The HKS/Blitz Mushroom style is normally made of sponge and will hold water if it gets wet (which in the winter, behind a R32 front bumper it will) defo not a good idea.<o:p></o:p>

Best bet is a Green Filter. Check the size of your current filter and see how much space you have to possibly increase it by and then go onto the GREEN Air Filter web site and look at the sizes of the universal cone filters. GREEN are very unrestricting filters. Good luck

·
Registered
288 Posts
Nice one Boraman will certainly take the power tec into account!

Might be a stupid question, But would a HKS mushroom filter work on the end of a CAI? i know its foam and just wondered if it could work? does anyone know?
Not sure but I know a man you could ask. I've had dealings with a guy called Paul at Dastek (based in Fife, north of Edinburgh). He deals with mods for most jap cars but he's also done work on a few mk4's so I think he would be able to tell you. He's also an HKS dealer if I remember correctly so he'll know their parts inside out, plus I think he'll do mail order. Tel: 08453 454045 or look at their website www.dastek.co.uk.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

·
Registered
873 Posts

He already knows that? as he already has a CAI, as mentioned in the first post.
I know i didnt really have any new info for him but he has posted about 100 posts and created about 10 different topics all on teh same thing so i thought sum1 better say somthing to try and shut him up lol [;)]

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very helpfull there RS_GOLF thanks mate, i have a fair bit of room and i know that the size of the CAI pipe is 3inch about 76mm i think that is! Your defo right about the HKS one i didnt realise till after i posted it! Lol.

Wish id had the chance to see your Golf face to face when you had it! Lol.

Il let you know how i get on!

Cheers for the info aswell Boraman il give them a call!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

He already knows that? as he already has a CAI, as mentioned in the first post.
I know i didnt really have any new info for him but he has posted about 100 posts and created about 10 different topics all on teh same thing so i thought sum1 better say somthing to try and shut him up lol [;)]
Sorry my comment seems a bit harsh now I have read it back. It was not really meant as a dig, but it seems a lot of people seem to be responding to threads without reading the progress of the posts?.. sorry

·
Registered
873 Posts
haha. no worries mate i shoulda read it in more detail tbh. Plus im not gunna argue with someone that i think owned the best golf iv ever seen so.... Hats off to you sir!! [Y]

Can i ask what a 40 year old women would do with your beutiful car? apart from crash it?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Can i ask what a 40 year old women would do with your beutiful car?
LOL...LOL.... re crash it

She's nearly 50, but she is into young things..... she's not even into the whole car scene or is that bothered about cars... she said she wanted my car, so that was it.... deal done.

When I started to explain to her the different bits n bobs she did not have a clue what I was talking about. "Boost controller, whats that then"....lol...lol... her son drives it more than she does.

I saw her the other day and she let me have a look around the car.... under the engine bay is a right mess now...grease and dirt everywhere [:(]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Can i ask what a 40 year old women would do with your beutiful car?
LOL...LOL.... re crash it

She's nearly 50, but she is into young things..... she's not even into the whole car scene or is that bothered about cars... she said she wanted my car, so that was it.... deal done.

When I started to explain to her the different bits n bobs she did not have a clue what I was talking about. "Boost controller, whats that then"....lol...lol... her son drives it more than she does.

I saw her the other day and she let me have a look around the car.... under the engine bay is a right mess now...grease and dirt everywhere [:(]
Noooooo.. [:O] that was quite possibly the tidiest engine bay on a mk4, (includin Mr Cundliffe and Jace) in terms of oem mods.. all that s3 cover malarkey you had.. ! Looked ace. I thought you sold it to your bros mate phil ? Did you give her the pinnacle too ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
i had a k&n cone filter on the end of my abd intake. it fitted behind the bumper no problem on my a3. the filter was just a very tight fit on the end of the pipe, it took alot of putting together. The combintion worked very well tho.

·
Registered
873 Posts
re crash? I'm not gunna ask. Such a shame. lol at letting u look around her car. But you were used to other people asking you lol.

One quick question, you've got same engine as me and i love engine noises, wastgate chatter popping and banging ect (apart from loud exhausts) and am interested in the gfb valve. I had a normal atmospheric one but obviously it cocked me car up. Did you have any problems with this at all? Also where did u buy it? Or do u still have yours that you could sell me?

Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts