Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to have to get my own insurance (as apposed to fleet) soon so I have been looking at quotes from Direct Line, and had some pleasant suprises! The last time I looked, I was 17 and they wanted £3,340 fully comp for my new 1.4 Saxo...£3k for a 5 year old 106 1.4, etc...ludicrous basically. But now, bearing in mind I am 20 (21 tomorrow!), 3 years licence and NCB, garaged, £150 excess, no claims or points:

Bora 1.6SE, 1999: £331 Fully comp

BMW 330CI, 2002: £998 Fully Comp

Audi A4 2.8 Quattro, 1998: £847 Fully Comp

Maybe I should change soon! I was amazed, isnt this phenomenally cheap?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Really not bad at all mate. I'm 28 with 6years NCB. Licence for 11years, no convictions etc. My insurance with current insurer (Eagle Star) has just gone to over £1000!!! Elephant wanted almost £1300. Who did you get those quotes from?

I've managed to get it down to £827 with Greenlight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just renewed mine they wanted £650 got then down to £520 by increasing my excess to £350 Iam 34 fully comp full ncb with the missis on it to (shes 29) The company are frizzel (or london victoria)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Those are pretty good prices Mike.

I'm gutted you would pay less than me for an anni, vs my 130

Mine has just gone up 100 squid because Ive moved and no longer garage the car.

Newcastle and high miles doesnt help.

will have to shop around come renewal time.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Very goog prices - I was getting similar quotes on a 330ci and I have Full no claims, no accidents or convictions, one total loss claim (non fault)

Maybe it's the HA3 London postcode I have.

They bloody shaft us left right and centre ! - got this congestion charge to pay now as well

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just had my renewal through for £441 with Tesco, i have 3 points, 6 years ncb and i put my girlfriend on aswell, i'm 26 and she's 25. £300 X's

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I pay £530, 27 years old, 9 years without a claim, no points, kept in a garage in Coventry (this makes it rise). This includes the other half who has a no fault claim last year. Sounds like I have a good deal.

·
Registered
782 Posts
im with Norwich union........... but have just had some blinding quotes with Sainsburys !!!! They were cheaper than Tescos too !!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just insured my R32 through Privilege cost £950 fully comp with protected No claims. Good considering I have 9 points ( in last 5 years), am 27 years old and work in the motor trade.

Strange though they offered no further discount even though the car has a Tracker Monitor fitted.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Thats amazing Mike!

When I got my car last year I was 21 with 3 years NCB and 3 points. Live in fairly low risk area and car is garaged.

Directline were second cheapest and they wanted £950 odd. Thats what you were quoted for a 330Ci!!

Eventually got it for £740 from Axa direct with a £600 excess!

·
Registered
12 Posts
heres another expensive one

21 2yrs ncb no points

1.8 GTI

£1996.50

with tesco, i think its pretty resonable as i live near manchester town centre [:(]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Insured with Direct Line 700 squid

28 years old, 6 years NCB

not bad for an SL1 postcode which for those for you who don't know where SL1 is it's the center of Hell, sorry i mean Slough

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Stevoraith

Thats amazing Mike!
I know! When I passed my test in 1999 I had a V reg (new) Saxo West Coast (VTR but for engine, 1400cc) and my cheapest quote was £3340....now is relatively cheap, dont get it at all....but if I can get a 330Ci for £1000 Im there!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yeah mate, insurance is the main reason why I don't have a fast car so go for it. I must admit I was a bit sceptical when I read your post so I tried getting a quote for a 330 too and my quote was similar. Guess what my next car is!?

I'm a bit miffed though 'cos my girlfriends insurance is up for renewal so I've been gettting quotes for her. 22 year old accountant, 2 years NCB, 2002 Corsa 1.2SXI. Best quote so far......... £307!!

And she got a years free insurance when she bought the thing, so an average of £150 a year!! It's not fair!

·
Registered
150 Posts
you lot should try Barkley's bank insurance. im not with them this year but I was with them for 3 years & they are good. I was 19 with an astra GSI 16v (150BHP) with 2 years NCB & they done mine for £1350. not bad ay..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts