Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about 4 months of trying my Civic I agreed a deal last night and took deposit. It's the best car I've ever owned but I've got better things to spend my money on now so I'm left with my MK2 GTI 16v as my only car now - not that that's a bad thing as she's a beasty!

Posted Image

So in about a week she'll be gone. I won't be happy but at 28 I've had some daft cars and would like a property now.

Anyone else dumped their pride and joy in search of something other than a car?

David

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Eye took a deposit on the anniversary yesterday, should be picked up in two weeks.

Like you, the lure of owning property is starting to take hold. I've spent some silly amount of money on cars over the past five years and I can happily say its out of my system now. Time to settle down and get some sensible that will last me a good few years and enable me to take the plunge into bricks and mortar (although the way house prices are these days it likely be sticks and mud)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have done it the other way round ... lol

Got some bricks and mortar first and am now longing for a silly car, although there seems to have been a fatal floor in my plan as some how i got the list mixed up, and apparently after house comes baby not silly car [:'(]

at least you have got a mk2 valver... that is still a nice car [Y]

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Ved - don't worry about selling your pride and joy..... keep it bottled up till your mid 40's and have a crisis and blow out on a serious sports car!!! Thats my long term plan.

I tried to have a boring car, my Passat 1.8 'Sport' - sport really is a relative term, it is the only car I've driven that has body roll at 20 mph!!! But my current car is a compromise, but it wasn't cheap when I bought it.

Anyway you have a mk II - nice motor it is too!!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eye took a deposit on the anniversary yesterday, should be picked up in two weeks.

Like you, the lure of owning property is starting to take hold. I've spent some silly amount of money on cars over the past five years and I can happily say its out of my system now. Time to settle down and get some sensible that will last me a good few years and enable me to take the plunge into bricks and mortar (although the way house prices are these days it likely be sticks and mud)
Sucks growing up. huh? I wont be buying until things return to something sensible. No way will I buy for the sake of it and live in a war zone. I'll buy at the right time and in the right area.

So if you don't own a VW now how can you call yourself a site owner?!? Hang your head!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'm doing the same at 21. The car just didn't rank high on my list of priorities anymore, instead I changed jobs (for better prospects), took a pay cut (5 grand that I sorely miss!!), moved out, going to Uni night class aswell as working etc. Ditching the car enabled me to do all this and massively improved my future prospects, it really is just a lump of metal [Y]

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Anyone else dumped their pride and joy
I dumped something this morning; it wasn't a joy, but I did feel a sense of pride [:p]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts

Sucks growing up. huh? I wont be buying until things return to something sensible. No way will I buy for the sake of it and live in a war zone. I'll buy at the right time and in the right area.

So if you don't own a VW now how can you call yourself a site owner?!? Hang your head!
No need to hang my head in shame! Will probably buy a Bora in the new year, however for the moment Jalopy rules the roost while I accumulate my wealth [:D]

I don't see the point in buying a new car, unless of course I move to a job where I have the option of having a company car, but I don't see that on the cards for at least another year or two.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

No need to hang my head in shame! Will probably buy a Bora in the new year, however for the moment Jalopy rules the roost while I accumulate my wealth [:D]

I don't see the point in buying a new car, unless of course I move to a job where I have the option of having a company car, but I don't see that on the cards for at least another year or two.
[:)] wise move. I'm happy with the MK2 and it hasnt let me down as yet. I may treat it to some new audio in January as that's really the only thing it's missing. Your Bora would be a good idea as they're seriously cheap now. 1.8T or V6? [:p]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Think it might be a V6- with a hole cut in the bottom of the fuel tank just to use more fuel = more money saved [:D]

Did toy with the idea of converting a 4mtion to LPG, but the extra 2k outlay on top of 5k+ spent for the car just doesn't make sense at the moment.

Must admit the idea of a MK2 does appeal - how are you getting on with yours?

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Sucks growing up. huh? I wont be buying until things return to something sensible.
Sorry to bang the drum on this one once again, but what is it you are hoping for? If its a price drop you will be waiting a lonnnng time...prices up on average 0.9% this month due to lack of supply despite the recent rate rise. A flat worth ?120k in November 05 is now worth ?127k. If you had bought that 'overpriced' flat last year and did nowt to improve it you would still now have ?7k of equity in it. The rate rise will at best slow price inflation, not create price drops. The scare mongering has been happening for nearly 4 years now and look...nothing. After all, imagine if you owned a property, are you gonna just knock a bit off so buyers have it easier? Not a chance. Just some food for thought!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where I live it's not easy to start on the ladder as you're lucky to see a 1 bed flat for less than 200k. I'd rather save and get the right thing at the right time for me. I'm in no hurry, have a nice flat at the moment and will only start looking in 12 months time when I have a decent deposit of around 20k+

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Think it might be a V6- with a hole cut in the bottom of the fuel tank just to use more fuel = more money saved [:D]

Did toy with the idea of converting a 4mtion to LPG, but the extra 2k outlay on top of 5k+ spent for the car just doesn't make sense at the moment.

Must admit the idea of a MK2 does appeal - how are you getting on with yours?
It's really good fun. It's an old car and to drive it you know it but it sounds great, starts up every time, gets more looks than any other car I've had and most special of all is that it's cheap.

If I come to a meet or show you're at I'll show you around it and you can see what you think. Once I have the bumper clip sorted I'll do some shots of it.

David

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I have to agree with Mike, the bubble is never going to burst. I think it will slow down/level out eventually. Alot of the UK's workforce (up here especially) are contract based and earning a fortune, there will always be people to buy no matter what the price.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I've recently sold the Golf to fund a house. Dont regret it for one second. I roll around in a crap old Renault 19 now, but I dont really care. It gets me about. Granted, not in alot of style, but showing off 'your' house is better than showing off 'your new car'

I'm with MikeDav and TheChief.

Very unlikely that something will give in prices.

The estate where we live, things are still soaring at a scary rate. For example, the house we bought was bought by my partners father in 1998. For ?53k. We rented it for a few years. We have just paid over triple that for it. In 8 years, it has tripled. Given we paid a rather good price for it, we have already 'made*' considerable equity in a few months. Yeh, we have ploughed a couple of grand into getting work done, and have another few grand to spend to get it tip top, but we have 'made*' over 20k in a matter of months. The current value has been confirmed by 3 independent valuations. And we have estate agents queueing out of the door, cold calling and even turning up on the doorstep, wanting to take the property on. Local properties have been selling within weeks. One property sold within 3 days of going on the market, for 2k above what it was on at...we didnt even get a chance to go and have a nosey and see how it compared to ours...

Look at the population, its growing at an infinate rate compared to how many houses are being built to accomodate. The old supply and demand thing. What with the influx of immigrants too, demand is simply outstripping supply, and will continue to do so, especially in the 2/3 bed family house sector, and especially in certain areas. I live a stones throw away from the local hospital. In the same vacinity, we have one of the biggest banks in the world, a huge retail park and shopping centre, the courts, office complexes, and the town centre is less than 5 minutes drive down the road. Lots of people, earning lots of money, who want convenient accomodation....

So whats the worst that happens, things do go wang and you are in negative equity. Just sit on it, accept it and get on with it. What comes around goes around. We could stay where we are for 20 years if we had to, and see kids through to 18!

* And when I say made, it doesnt really mean anything. Yes, we may have made X, say 10%, but our next property at a higher price would have gone up accordingly. All it means is that when we come to remortgage, we will have some decent equity that will enable us to get th ebest mortgage and pay less for it. Only way I would ever benefit is if we split up and sold up. I'd walk out with a wad. I could go and buy a TVR, but I wouldnt. I'd pump it straight into another property.

Look at it another way. You rent. As such, if you were paying ?500 a month, you would be losing ?6000 a year in dead money. All of a sudden, the worst case scenario, negative equity, doesnt sound so bad...

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Bought Our three properties over the last 4 years at the beginning of the its "overheating hype" ... even if there was crash tommorrow of %50 I would still be in positive equity. Even the 90's crash didn't drop 50%.

And ved you cant save at the rate property is increasing in equity...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I sold my Cossie to get something more modern and ecomnical [:'(]

The after having the Golf for a couple of years, I sold that and got the Bora as wanted something more plain looking to leave in the uni car park [:'(][:'(][:'(]

but on a better note, I now have left uni, have a full time job and plan to sell the Bora after xmas and get either a 150 PD Golf, Fabia VRS, or Cupra R TDi [:D]

so every cloud...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts