Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short I sold my E36 M3 18 days ago, I sold the car in good faith with a full service history plus recent service and MOT.

The buyer looked around the car at length, I took him for a test drive (drove the car hard, did everything he asked), he took it for a test drive, we came to a deal, he took the car... everyones happy!

3 days later i get a phone call, he tells me the fuel filters never been changed (sends me photos of a filter) and asked if I knew that the clutch had gone, because it had apparently?! But that he wasn't too mad simply pointing out that I shouldn't continue using the garages I had been for the servicing. (fair point)

Today (18 days later) he rings me again to say the VANOS unit is faulty on the car and that the repair bill is around £2k, he says he's "lost" the sold as seen receipt that he made out and both signed (I should have made a copy too I know) and that he's going to get in touch with his solicitor and I assume pursue legal action!!

Its worth saying at this point that I sold this car in complete good faith, I was completely unaware of any of the faults he's now stating and on the day of the sale the car drove perfectly (and had been driving perfectly), hence he bought it. He's got all the paperwork for the car so knows i'd serviced and maintained the car regularly and had any repairs done when it needed them.

Now I'm pretty sure he's not really got a leg to stand on but do I have anything to worry about here?

I do feel for the bloke if what he's saying is true but I was genuine and sold the car truthfully.

·
Registered
585 Posts
ive never heard of a vanos unit?

i heard about a friends friend who brought a subaru impreza some years ago i think this was and i think it was about 2 months (maybe not that long) later or something the engine blew and he took the guy to court and got money for it. not sure the story how he brought the car etc tho so cant really help out.

i brought my car of ebay i think it was november or december 2009 and it was fine for a month and then started having a problem with it. it was to do with the immobiliser (still not sorted properly) and then i was getting little problems here and there...... even to this day i have many probs i wanna sort out on the car to get it back to former glory and beyond. being the 10th or 11th owner im assuming it hasnt been looked after perfectly but some stuff has been done so it obviously wernt as badly looked after as first thought.

and surely if the clutch went u would of been able to tell befor unless it dont give any signs its going.....

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Forget anything hes got to say, he hasnt got a chance.

This guy is a complete tool whoever he is, i doubt he really plans any legal action.

Sounds like hes after earning some extra cash by asking for 'goodwil' repair costs.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Fella as it was a private sale and you stated sold as seen on the receipt the buyer hasn't got a leg to stand on, so dont worry about it.

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Just reply that you sold the car as seen with no warranty, in good faith, and as he's already pointed out the car drove perfectly when he test drove it. Don't enter into any other dialogue as he may see that as an indicator that you're willing to negotiate.

As you're a private seller and he's a private buyer (I presume) then caveat emptor applies.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Next time as you said, print 2 copies and get both signed keeping one. Write back and inform him he has no rights and you will treat any further letters etc from him as harassment

For that type of car he should have had it inspected by a expert !

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
He's already admitted he hasn't got a receipt. Surely no receipt = no proof of purchase and no claim. Agree with the above, he can jog on.

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Oh, and don't speak on the phone either. Any dialogue should be in written form so that he's under no illusion as to what's being said, and there can be no misunderstanding.

·
Chief Troll
15,990 Posts
Oh, and don't speak on the phone either. Any dialogue should be in written form so that he's under no illusion as to what's being said, and there can be no misunderstanding.
2nded

Correspond everything via email or post

·
I ate a big red candle !!
10,384 Posts
You should go to the garages you used and ask them about these claims hes making, put them on the spot.

·
Registered
150 Posts
as above all correspondence must be in writeing hard for him but tought luck it was fine when he brought it or he would not have brought it off you and how are you to know that he has'nt thrashed seven bales of shit out of the car since he has owned it

tell him on yer bike mate

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
As long as you said exaxtally what the car was, and didnt say the particular unit was 100% workig, then he should not have a leg to stand on.

By handing the money over he accepts the goods. Therefore that is equivalent to accepting them in the condition they are in.

Something can go wrong in a car overnight and it wouldnt be your fault.

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
Don't communicate, and don't go to the garages that did the work. When you sold the car you were honest, provided no warranty, and the car was fit for its intended purpose. Think about it: a VW dealer would be reluctant to replace a clutch under warranty on a new car once it has done a few thousand miles.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts