Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am ready to buy another 2 or 4 tyres for the pd130 running 18s,and was wondering what make/makes you all have had experience with.

i have had yokahama's,falkens and khomo's (spelling) the last being what the 18's came with,and am pleased to have worn down enough to warrent a new set.

any one tried more then 1 brand on there mk4 , as this will give the best test.

many thanks paul...

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
got michellins on my 18's but when i get my new wheels nxt month im gona get some f1's. the michellins are good but when they are cold they just spin. i loved my yoki's i had b4 but they were poo in the wet.

·
Registered
752 Posts
heh, here we go. [:)]I've got 3 F1's and one Pirelli, slowly moving over to F1's, so its only a matter of time before the last one gets changed out for an F1... (then it'll be time to swap the first one again heh...[:|])

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I had Avon zz3's all round on my mk4 when i brought it and have recently changed to Toyo Proxes T1-R and found the grip levels alot better specially in the wet and they are wearing well so far. done a few thousand miles so far and there hardly worn.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I need to get new wheels, but at the moment on my summer set of
steelies i have a set of 2 Firestones, and a set of 2 firestones that
are reinforced. As for my winter set, i have a full set of studded
tyres, on their last legs now tho!!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I've got budget tyres on mine, always have had and i can't say a bad thing about them tbh.[Y]

I don't have any problems with them at all even in varying conditions and surfaces.. They're fine in both wet and dry conditions!

So i really don't see the point in shelling out a fortune on each corner just to have top name brands (which probably all come from the same factory anyway!) when these do fine! [:D]

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
how did you find the khumhos matey? and what wheels u got and where from?
I used to run Bridgestone S02/S03's on the V5, then moved to F1's and never looked back.

During a track day, I managed to finish off a pair of F1's so needed and new set of tyres to finishes the day off, so brought myself a set of 18"s with Khumhos, and they were great in the dry on the track. The next day, in the damp on a roundabout, was a completely different story, complete understeer.

Needless to say, the next day I went off and sourced myself 4 new F1's that ended up costing me more that the 18"s and khumhos.

One thing I will say why I did this, as you can never risk what you use to help keep you on the road.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the replies,

i think i am gonna go for the f1's or now may be the toyo's.

i to have found the budget tyres good , the khumhos are not a bad tyre,but if branding wasent an issue,we would be discusing this on ukskodas.co.uk.[;)]

the falkons were the best tyre i have driven , in a mk 1 (520's i think)

and the yoko's were great in the mk 2 .

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've got Nankang NS 2's on 18's,really hard wearing,done 6.5k so far and barely look worn. Grip is pretty good in wet and dry,I have no problem with them anyway! Cheap too from here

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well....I've currently got on mine a rather shockingly dodgy set of Champiro GTs which came with my 18s. They make the car handle soooo unpredictably at times - especially in the wet. Gave my car a check over at the weekend and noticed that suddenly I had a bald outside edge on my two front tyres (slap my wrist for not having the tracking checked after lowering!! LOL!)....anyway its given me a good excuse to change them (even if it is just before Christmas) to Falken FK451s at a scorching price of ?130 delivered for 2...oh & I'll get the tracking done too!! LOL! [:p]

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
has anybody tried the michelin pilot sport sp2's.?

i have heard they are the dog's danglie bits.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have michelin pilot sports on my diesel anni, and i must admit they are really good!! I noticed while cleaning my car on friday that i have a screw in my back tyre- think it's too close to the edge to be repaired as well. Found a price for the michelin pilot sports at ?144 delivered!! Anyone know anywhere selling these cheaper as i'd rather keep all tyres the same!!

Cheers

Craig

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had 4 vredistien ultrac fitted when i bought my wheels, i would reccommend these tyres to anyone, they have frequently won awards in auto express. They are good in the dry and excellent in the wet and are a great price. On my 4motion the fronts lasted around 12k miles the backs are due replacment after 14k (ish) miles.

I changed to michelin pilot sports on the front, and will be replacing the rear very shortly with the michelins as these are supposed to last longer than vredestiens.

I buy my tyres from blackcircles.com this is a great site and they have good prices, if the tyre you are after is not listed, they will probably get it for you. You can choose a fitting center near to you aswell. highly recommended.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have michelin pilot sports on my diesel anni, and i must admit they are really good!! I noticed while cleaning my car on friday that i have a screw in my back tyre- think it's too close to the edge to be repaired as well. Found a price for the michelin pilot sports at ?144 delivered!! Anyone know anywhere selling these cheaper as i'd rather keep all tyres the same!!

Cheers

Craig
try black circles (as above) and s elect the fitted option. i have found them for ?125 fitted.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts