Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its in alot of threads that come up these days.

My question is.......

Who actually plans to leave?

I am going to try and get a transfer to Austrailia once my HNC is done in 2008.........

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Transfer or Immigrate? I've looked into this recently, the current regulations stipulates that you need either a trade or a certain amount of finance's. You cannot just move over there like people can move into the UK.

If you did mean to say transfer, what trade do you have/or in???

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I tried this year to transfer to the US. I managed to find a sponsor and get H1B visa approval around July, only to find out the job on longer existed :-(

The chances of it happening again are very very low.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
A job in our company came up in Canada recently. If I had 12 months more experience doing this job I am in now, I would have applied and most probably would have got it. Jobs abroad pop up quite often and it was only recently I started considering them seriously.

I would like to move away even if it was only for a year or two, but it will be to go to a better job whether in this company or another one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
After almost 6 years in Germany I came back (just over a year ago). I've also lived in Spain and France (a year in each). I would be in South Africa now but visa complications scuppered that one. As far as I can tell there's good and bad things about any place. All things considered, I wouldn't honestly say the UK is a worse place to live than anywhere else. Depends what you're after I suppose.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Transfer or Immigrate? I've looked into this recently, the current regulations stipulates that you need either a trade or a certain amount of finance's. You cannot just move over there like people can move into the UK.

If you did mean to say transfer, what trade do you have/or in???
Yup, steelwork detailing is my trade and when I'm ready to move I'll have another trade in oil and gas steelwork detailing/structural design. The company I work for have offices all over the world, I can put in a request for a transfer and its 99% sure I'll get it.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I am off to Canada eventually, hopefully 3 years tops. Lived there for a year and definetly going back.

A new M3 : £28,000

2000 sq ft Penthouse in Toronto : £260k

Income tax brackets : 15-28%

People who are actually friendly and a government thats not trying to rape you EVERY DAY: Priceless

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm in the middle of the process now of applying for Oz, I'm in IT sales and they're looking for those over there, If you're in a medical profession though, you can get in straight away and walk into a job. Next six months will be when I go. My G/F is a nurse so we're both getting in no worries.

Had enough of Gatso's, Tax, Road conditions, Traffic Jams, price of Petrol and the price of Property.

Not to mention the Road trip to get there in my V5 will be fantastic, trip already planned [:p], may need to use a boat at some point though!!!

Prawny

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Good one Mr Visa!!

Mind you you say all of that and in fairness you will find that the average salary over there is lower than it is here. Then again this country have got a real thirst for money and it seems to be mine!

Yeah i'm sure that you will be able to get in there with your situation! Australlia would be my forst choice although Canada has also appealed to me for years!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We have an office in Canada too, I'll go anywhere for nice a change [:D]

Edit: Prawn you will get on well over there, my sister moved out about 5 years ago as a nurse and she's seen soo much promotions in that time. Maybe the scottish/english work harder? [:p]

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I love going to Menorca - have found a nice 3 double bed villa with pool and excellent views of the sea for abt £260K. It would leave me with a £60K mortgage so I'd need to work but as I don't visit customers very often, I could work from home. Love the weather and the people - and the lack of traffic !!

Don't speak much Spanish though - and my wife is very close to her family so I doubt she's leave the UK. Apart from that, its in the bag[:S]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Already done it - left UK last December. Don't regret it at all, but my move was relatively local compared to some of those being discussed here. Think that makes a lot of things easier. Here's my tips...

• DO learn the language. If you want to feel at home then act like a local. Don't hang out with ex-pats and then wonder why you never fit in.
  • DON'T spend your time comparing everything back to the UK. Some stuff will be better, some will be worse - that's just how it is.
  • DO think about what you will do for work. Not much point moving away and being bored and / or skint!
  • DO think about what happens if you ever want to move back to the UK, e.g., I kept a flat in London. At some point I probably will move back, and the London property market is / was moving faster than here. If I transferred that money here, and then back in five years, chances are it would be worth less than when I went away.
  • DO work out why you are moving. If something is wrong in your personal life, then moving probably wont fix it!
Other than all that, do it! I'm already looking for my next move. Too many countries, not enough time...

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Things in this country could be better, alot better in fact. But what is to say that the grass will be greener elsewhere.

I'm a white anglo saxon that can trace his heritage back centuries. No trendy lefty government policies or bleeding heart do gooders are going to shift me from my country.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I probably see more crap than most on here bar the bobbies.... I would say we have problems, and yes this government are autocratic.... and our society has become selfish to a point.

Bliarism=Communism in my eyes..

Things will get worse as we will have a recession probably a very bad one with lots of bankruptcies and personal debt

BUT the way I see it is if I can be the clever hard working person in a load of dross.. well I am going to do ten times better, whereas if i go somewhere where I am not native, and everyone is trying very very hard and there aint much dross its going to be harder to get to the top....

·
Registered
990 Posts
Britain today really is a scummy place. We have a binge drinking, yob society fuelled by drink and drugs, many have no respect for others or their property. The legal system is a joke, with the law often favouring the perpetrators of crime over the victims. You can't even protect your house through violence without being criminalised (remember Tony Martin). We have a government which is hell bent on fleecing us at every turn, and has also turned us into a massive terrorist target.

Britain produces 2% of the world's co2, yet they are talking about even more charges and taxes for motorists, when really the extra revenue will probably fund the defence budget or NHS. It's all pointless when the US, China, India etc do nothing to curb their emissions.

So I say the UK is already downn the pan.

I would be off to Canada in instant. I scored over 80 points in their visa application eligibilty assessment for both the federal and Quebec skilled programmes, but my other half isn't keen. She may change her mind after a trip there though. As Mikedav said the cost of living and working is much better there, but on the downside medical insurance can be a killer.

I also fancy living in Spain as I love the culture and can speak some of the language, but the job front isn't as promising as over the pond for me. Oz would be great and I see many jobs in my field advertised every week, mainly for contract work, but the travelling time there is a nightmare.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I probably see more crap than most on here bar the bobbies.... I would say we have problems, and yes this government are autocratic.... and our society has become selfish to a point.

Bliarism=Communism in my eyes..

Things will get worse as we will have a recession probably a very bad one with lots of bankruptcies and personal debt

BUT the way I see it is if I can be the clever hard working person in a load of dross.. well I am going to do ten times better, whereas if i go somewhere where I am not native, and everyone is trying very very hard and there aint much dross its going to be harder to get to the top....
Hi Andymac,

I understand where you're coming from with that statement, however it's all a case of perspective, Stay here work hard and rise to the top of the pile in a place where crime,taxes and the cost of living is a lot higher, or alternatively work hard rise to the middle of the pile in a more desirable place, where coming home can be a joy?

I'm British, White(although that shouldn't make a difference), and I like to enjoy going for a drive at the weekends, and having a drink with friends. Both of which should be easy enough to achieve.

We have a government trying to tax both of these activities to the hilt to pay for damage done, by more lax individuals who see others cars as an opportunity to joyride and drink themselves into such a state that they need medical attention through violence or through stupidity.

I know there'll be issues in Oz and anywhere else people decide to move to, but it's a risk i want to take. Coincidentally there was a news article this morning saying british teens are basically the most drugged and boozed up in the european union at the moment, imagine these teens in ten years time and I don't want to be around then, I didn't drink until I was Eighteen, and I turned out ok, the streets of my Village, (yes, village) are prowled by packs of teens, anywhere up to twenty in number, and the older people feel intimidated by them. Not a society I want to be a part of.

*rant over*

Largephil lives near me and vcan confirm it ain't nice on adark night.......

Prawny

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Dont get me wrong i would be of to OZ in a second if it wasnt for the wifes family, (my folks are well off enough that whey would most likely follow)

What people dont say, is Canadians are some of the most Boring people I have eve met, allbeit nice ebough, they only play american sports and my god is it cold for six months.....

Australians are out and out racist, even to most european whites, it can be a little insular like the USA also if you think our driving and speeding laws are ridiculous the Aussies are worse, Double points day anyone?? speed on this day and you get 6 not 3 points[:#].... a used car market that is totally extortianate as imports are taxed heavily[:-*], a governement that aligns itself with the USA more than even the British, remember the poor Aussies got dragged into Vietnam when even we didnt!!!

Oh and australia is No1 in the econoomists world book of figures for drunken rates of assualt, NZ is 2 and GB is a lowly 5 th

I would reccomend anyone thinking of emmigrating to get this book clicky

You may be surprised by what you learn..... although your risk of being a victim of crime her is high your risk of being assaulted is very low .. whereas in the USA and canada the risk of crime is low... BUT your risk of being actually killed if a victim of crime is VERY VERY high.

You have to put these things in proportion..... Believe me I am a big advocate of emmigration, my cousin is in Oz and has been for 20 years, however he is only now getting a good life for 15 years it was struggle, and he sees it as more of a benefit for his kids.. than it has been in a selfish way for him and his wife..

And those of you who havent had kids but would like a family, dont ever ever ever under estimate how valuable your own family/in laws/parents/uncles etc are when having a family or kids, I dont think my wife and I could have coped and done what we have done without the help of our familes... this is the main reason why would not emmigrate yet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts