Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- dark green 03 Golf Southbound on the A1 the other day.... She booted it off a roundabout - (I was slow to react as I wasn't expecting it) dropped to 2nd and stopped her pulling away from me! We stayed the same distance from each other (15metres?) all the way to "FASTmph" where I backed off.... I know for a fact that the V6 is quick - but is it a lot heavier than a V5 due to the 4wd?

Granted I'm a mere 12.5 stone and the fuel tank was nearly empty of Optimax - but I honestly expected her to pull away from me - with 30 pounds more torque & 34 more Bhp.....

Smug...

..ish

s

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
- dark green 03 Golf Southbound on the A1 the other day.... She booted it off a roundabout - (I was slow to react as I wasn't expecting it) dropped to 2nd and stopped her pulling away from me! We stayed the same distance from each other (15metres?) all the way to "FASTmph" where I backed off.... I know for a fact that the V6 is quick - but is it a lot heavier than a V5 due to the 4wd? Granted I'm a mere 12.5 stone and the fuel tank was nearly empty of Optimax - but I honestly expected her to pull away from me - with 30 pounds more torque & 34 more Bhp..... Smug... ..ish s
was it a woman driving the car? as this could explain the reason...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Guys, you can't always knock the women as being bad drivers! [:$]

There are many women out there who could whip your backside given the chance so on these occasions, you have to give them credit and accept defeat like a man! I know it's hard for the male ego to accept this sometimes and take such a knock, but you'll be a better man for admitting it! [Y]

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey - I wasn't dissin' women!

You missed my point - I was talking about cars, the fact a woman was driving is irrelvant imo.

Also - my better half (a girl) kept a Seat Leon Cupra R honest around Milton Keynes a couple of weeks ago... you should have smelt the exhaust and brakes when she got back....

s

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I doubt the 150 or even 170bhp V5 would stay with a V6 4motion and definatly not a Leon Cupra R.

My stock 1.8T 180 GTI was quicker than a 170bhp V5 and I know for a fact a V6 4Mo would have been quicker.

Unless your car is your username - ST V5 (Focus), then you wouldnt have a problem!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Golf V5 170... just thought I'd clear that one up. (Even though I thought the Focus ST offered better value for money - but no where near as fast - we test drove the ST170 & V5 back 2 back)

Hey I'm not boasting that I beat the V6 - I'm not that stupid - I'm saying I was surprised that she didn't pull away more or even drop me like a stone.... Just telling how it is....and judging by the speed we reached I'd say we were both pushing the cars hard.

I still want a V6 next btw...

s

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Golf V5 170... just thought I'd clear that one up.
(Even though I thought the Focus ST offered better value for money -
but no where near as fast - we test drove the ST170 & V5 back 2
back)
I meant the new Focus ST V5 turbo, I think its going to be quite fast (understatement??)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Golf V5 170... just thought I'd clear that one up. (Even though I thought the Focus ST offered better value for money - but no where near as fast - we test drove the ST170 & V5 back 2 back)
I meant the new Focus ST V5 turbo, I think its going to be quite fast (understatement??)
I think the engine is the same as in my S40 - 2.5 5 cyl turbo - if so, yes it will go very very well [;)]

V5 vs V6 - I would say that a V5 driven well would stay with a V6 not being driven quite so well

My missus in her 330ci was whooped by my Fabia vRS (Revo'd) just because she didnt like to go too near the redline!!!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Guys, you can't always knock the women as being bad drivers! [:$]

There are many women out there who could whip your backside given
the chance so on these occasions, you have to give them credit and
accept defeat like a man! I know it's hard for the male ego to accept
this sometimes and take such a knock, but you'll be a better man for
admitting it! [Y]
hey i wont only kidding ;) had to be the first to say it, some one would have lol.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I doubt the 150 or even 170bhp V5 would stay with a V6 4motion and definatly not a Leon Cupra R.

My stock 1.8T 180 GTI was quicker than a 170bhp V5 and I know for a fact a V6 4Mo would have been quicker.

Unless your car is your username - ST V5 (Focus), then you wouldnt have a problem!!
I am not so sure, my bother in law has a Bora V5 170 and I have
had a few tustles and he is not scared of using his motor if you know
what I mean, now I always have the edge on him, but after 60 the
4motion seems to strugle to gain anymore ground on him, plus 4motions
are notorious for not running propely (IE maf problems, hall sender
problems, lambda problems, breather leaks, knock sensors, overheating
due to fans, thus causing detonation) everyone I have seen has had
problems, I am not even a 100% happy with mine ATM .

Other factors also come into play did they have the climatronic on? I
know they say it doesnt sap power but go and do a butt dyno with it on
on a hot day, then do ir without, mine looks like it robs 10% of engine
power (a possible 20 bhp) Plus some drivers never venture near the red
line5500 rpm max, it can make a heeluva difference.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that Andymac - I was beginning to think that nobody believed me!

Now did I tell you the story of my race with an R32.......

S

·
Registered
121 Posts

Unless your car is your username -? ST V5 (Focus), then you wouldnt have a problem!!
?I am not so sure, my bother in law has a Bora V5 170 and I have
had a few tustles and he is not scared of using his motor if you know
what I mean, now I always have the edge on him, but after 60 the
4motion seems to strugle to gain anymore ground on him, plus 4motions
are notorious for not running propely (IE maf problems, hall sender
problems, lambda problems, breather leaks, knock sensors, overheating
due to fans, thus causing detonation) everyone I have seen has had
problems, I am not even a 100% happy with mine ATM .

Other factors also come into play did they have the climatronic on? I
know they say it doesnt sap power but go and do a butt dyno with it on
on a hot day, then do ir without, mine looks like it robs 10% of engine
power (a possible 20 bhp) Plus some drivers never venture near the red
line5500 rpm max, it can make a heeluva difference.
Mmm, I'm not alone then.

I have had the MAF changed
Lambda probe swap booked,
Coolant temp Probe faulty,
and my fans low speed ain't working

AAAARRRRRRGGGG!!!!!!

But I still like the car (well most of the time!)

Had it since new and maintained it regularly, but after 40000 miles it started to develop some probs. Oh well...

·
Registered
406 Posts
There are many women out there who could whip your backside given the chance so
on these occasions, you have to give them credit and accept defeat like
a man! I know it's hard for the male ego to accept this sometimes and
take such a knock, but you'll be a better man for admitting it! [Y]
yes please ! [:D]

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
LOL, if you lot think a woman can't put up a good race I won't bother telling you about the "bit of fun" I had with an Aston Martin DB7 Vantage last night[;)]

·
Registered
566 Posts
Now did I tell you the story of my race with a red R32.......

Well, that's what I had on Sunday night just passed. A14 westbound at about 9pm. Its a dual carriageway with no lighting on the stretch that I gave chase. He came out from no where and passed me so I tailed him when he decided to slow down (I think he thought I was an unmarked Police car). I eventually overtook him because he was only doing 70mph but then when he saw it was only me, he booted past me at well over a hundred. Needless to say I couldn't keep with him. And I missed my turning for the A1 Southbound to take me home as I was so engrossed in the chase! He had xenons too which meant he could see farther into the night than my standard headlights. And he had a Road Angel too.....and he had........

~ Maxie

·
Registered
566 Posts
LOL, if you lot think a woman can't put up a good race I won't bother telling you about the "bit of fun" I had with an Aston Martin DB7 Vantage last night[;)]
Come on Claire - tell everyone about it!

~ Maxie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts