Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a previous post discussing engine oil, damianmkv stated:

'My car used 7 litres in the first 6K...then 3/4 of a litre in the next 10K - I check mine all the time coz I'm paranoid'

Now my new 2.0 TDI has about 7500 miles on the clock and I have just topped up with the whole 1 litre bottle of longlife II that was supplied with the car. (just bought a replacement from VW which is now long life III)

How much oil has your new MKV used? (especially interested in the 2.0 TDI engines)

Should I too be expecting 7 Litres to be needed? Where the hell does this amount of oil go?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm glad you shared your 7 Litre experience with us damian,

I bet im not the only mug who would think 'Ive just topped up with a full litre so I probably wont have to check for ages now'

I will certainly be checking the dipstick every fortnight or so.

Damian, do you think your car has used so much oil because you have chipped it and inevitably stressed the engine more or made it run hotter or something?

I imagine that VW stick a disclaimer like 'up to a litre for every 1000 miles' in the handbook just to cover their backs.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
its actually used less since the re-map & replacement turbo. It used loads upto 6.5K, then I had the car re-mapped at 7.5K & a new turbo at 8K. Since then, pretty much nothing

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
its actually used less since the re-map & replacement turbo. It used loads upto 6.5K, then I had the car re-mapped at 7.5K & a new turbo at 8K. Since then, pretty much nothing
Sorry to take this thread off-topic but did they replace your turbo under warranty even though it was chipped? I take it they didn't check if it was chipped?

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
yes they did - no mention of the re-map ( & when I had it done, it was a "ECU out" job )

EDIT - oh, and they also replaced the ECU too so the car went back to standard [:'(]...but not for long[:D]

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is it with oil consumption threads going off topic?

I'm starting to think that there is an underhand cover-up going on here. VW agents posing as car owners- making sure no-one finds out about the owl noise leading to dramatic oil usage. VW know that they make a load of money from people buying replacement oil.

The truth is out there...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi there,

My GT TDI has used loads of oil. From memory, after the first 5 or 6 k, the dealer topped it up for me and they said they put 1/2 litre in. I then purchased a 1 litre jar and used that all before the 1st service at 18 k miles (approx) (put a 1/2 litre in at about 11 k miles and again around 16 k).

Since the first service I've done 8 k and had the dealer topped it up - not sure how much but the check oil light came on so I'm sure it would have needed at least 1/2 litre!!!

I had heard that they do burn a bit of oil until the first service so I'm hoping that it stops burning it now.

Regards,

Colm

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It certainly looks like the 1.6 FSI engines are less thirsty for oil.

(Probably because they like to drink gallons of petrol instead!)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just over 2000 miles, hasn't needed topping up and I've checked it three or fours times.

Our previous A4 TDI 130 used about half a litre in the first 1000 miles or so.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
It certainly looks like the 1.6 FSI engines are less thirsty for oil.

(Probably because they like to drink gallons of petrol instead!)
I think diesels in general have more of a reputation for using oil than petrols.

No big deal, except for people who don't check their oil and don't mind paying ?11 or so for 1 litre.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I'm glad you shared your 7 Litre experience with us damian,

I bet im not the only mug who would think 'Ive just topped up with a full litre so I probably wont have to check for ages now'

I will certainly be checking the dipstick every fortnight or so.

Damian, do you think your car has used so much oil because you have chipped it and inevitably stressed the engine more or made it run hotter or something?

I imagine that VW stick a disclaimer like 'up to a litre for every 1000 miles' in the handbook just to cover their backs.
I think that this, demonstrably, is an example of "As you sow, so must you reap."

[:^)]

·
Registered
591 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Matt,

Golf V GT TDI 2.0 140PS - Average Oil Consumption: 0.50 ? 0.75 L per 4,000 ? 5,000 miles.

So your 1 litre to 7500 is about bang on by my reckoning.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts