Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TO fill my GTI up with normal unleaded ??

And she was on the red when i did it. Doh!!!!!

Called the gaarge and they didnt seem to be too fussed about it, told me if i was worried then to fill it up from half full with Super.

Could have been worse, i could have put diesel in it

·
Registered
170 Posts
No, I've been filling up with normal Shell unleaded with no problems (says in the handbook that 95 is OK). I'm going to try optimax tho.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I got the dealer to fill it up with Ultimate when I picked it up as part of the deal, I went with him to make sure that he did[:)]. I think I will be using Optimax after as it is not to bad price wise in my area last time I looked it was 84.9p. I have only done 60 miles so far but it is showing as 32.3mpg which is suprisingly good.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Quote: posted by Wish on 26/01/2005 11:04:06

Did you know that Optimax goes off in your tank after about 3-4 days ?

yup. like all fuel optimax can go stale very quick. it also depends how long the stuff has been sat at the garage for too. using busy filling stations with quick turnarounds is best to use, fresher fuel.

·
Registered
836 Posts
It explodes! [;)]

A couple of days seems very quick... I do have to fill up every 3 though so wouldn't really notice..

Scott

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Optimax is only 82p here [:D] and the garage is very busy so shouldnt get much old fuel.. it "does" seem more responsive with optimasx compared to bp ultimate mind...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Surely petrol doesn't go off in a couple of days?!

From producing the stuff at the refinery to going to the petrol stations must take a while and surely it's not produced and then put straight in a tanker anyway, it probably sits in storage?

I've got enough to worry about without adding 'must use petrol before it goes off' to list!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Quote: posted by MikeTDI on 26/01/2005 11:14:23

Quote: posted by Wish on 26/01/2005 11:04:06

Did you know that Optimax goes off in your tank after about 3-4 days ?

yup. like all fuel optimax can go stale very quick. it also depends how long the stuff has been sat at the garage for too. using busy filling stations with quick turnarounds is best to use, fresher fuel.

I think this guy was referring to fuel in general.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think its the loss of RON which is gradual, but seriously doubt it is a matter of days, as Thomas says it'll be stored for a period of time anyway.

Irish - I think diesel doesn't loose anything (cant evaporate) but absorbs water from the atmosphere fairly quickly (Tanks at old work place had some water at the bottom)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Just a thort wish... i know u wont be driving the car too hard as its still brand new...

but let us know if u do notice a difference when u go back to the optimax or wether u find it the same... could be intresting to find peeps opinions

·
Registered
907 Posts
I've been running my GTI on Optimax. Solely because I collect points at shell and also because I've been using Optimax from day one.

Overall spending a few more pounds isn't that bad.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i know u wont be driving the car too hard as its still brand new...

Little do you know of my driving style. but I cant really notice any diference at all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts