Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon,

It looks like we will be getting some snow shortly round my neck of the woods, so I was just wondering if traction control (ASR) is of any use when driving in snow? Wasn't sure if it would actually help you to get grip or just keep cutting power to the engine until I end up going nowhere???[:O] Even thougt it may be worth switching the ASR off when/if it snows and just using my "driving skills" to negotiate the roads????

Having recently gone from a relatively powerless car (1.4 Rover) to quite a powerful one (1.8T GTI) I am not too sure what to expect when driving in snow! [:I]

Any input appreciated!!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
We have snow right now, and as happened last time, what with the slippy roads and slush, my car just kept killing the power to the wheels, i find it easier to use the gears and start off slowly to get a grip of the road, so I turn ASR off.

... Always funny when you see people planting there foot to the floor and going nowhere [:D]

·
Registered
808 Posts
Under normal driving in snow it should be fine but, yes it can get 'tricked' by snow in some cases but if you read your handbook it does mention about turning it off in some circumstances

·
Registered
646 Posts
Quote: posted by aberdeengti on 19/02/2005 16:00:19

i find it easier to use the gears and start off slowly to get a grip of the road, so I turn ASR off.

... Always funny when you see people planting there foot to the floor and going nowhere [:D]

Makes me laugh that - just think what a load of plonkers as they do their cars look like cartoon characters.

That said IANHG's car stood still last winter with the wheels spinning was funny[^]

Would recommend leaving it on and driving carefully, until you have tried to see what its like with the asr off.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Quote: posted by Ricardo on 19/02/2005 19:11:41

Would recommend leaving it on and driving carefully, until you have tried to see what its like with the asr off.

I'd agree with that. It can keep you moving just when you need it to.

·
Registered
798 Posts
my car just kept killing the power to the wheels

EDL on my earlyish car just cuts the power too in the snow. Slightly OT, but does anyone know what F1s are like in the snow, I suspect they might be quite bad ? I'm thinking of putting my other wheels on with Pilot Exaltos, since they have a more orthodox tread pattern.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
F1's tended to be very poor in the snow, it took absolutely nothing to get them to spin like crazy... almost undriveable in fact.

The EDL on my GTI made a right mess of driving in the snow, cutting power when you really really didnt want it too!

·
Registered
798 Posts
F1's tended to be very poor in the snow, it took absolutely nothing to get them to spin like crazy... almost undriveable in fact.

I guessed that might be the case, not exactly a winter tyre are they [:)]

·
Registered
539 Posts
Quote: posted by Chris on 19/02/2005 20:08:32

The EDL on my GTI made a right mess of driving in the snow, cutting power when you really really didnt want it too!

EDL doesn't reduce engine power, only brakes the wheel if it looses traction.

I've found it works superbly well in the snow... As does ABS...

I've been in plenty circumstances in my old Polo where I've only narrowly missed an accident due to not having ABS... Car in front of me had ABS and could slow down easily, I just couldn't slow down as quickly as they could!!

Good tip is let your tyres down in the snow to help them grip better.

Remeber cars are useless in the ice... 4X4 or not...

DOn't learn the hard way!!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Good tip is let your tyres down in the snow to help them grip better.

This is a myth from days of old..... When 'Crossply' tyres were the norm on cars this did work due to the tyre construction.

(kind of like a balloon being pressed on the floor the more you press the more area is covered).

But the way radial tyres are designed you are actualy making the car more unstable by underinflating them (try to imagine pressing a square balloon on the floor, it doesnt cover more area the more you press it, it just puts more strain on certain areas of it).

This untruth has been passed down a couple of generations from when it was true but these days it is definetly not true and can be more dangerous so the less people that pass it on the better [;)]

Unless you have a car with 'Crossply' tyres on it that is

Always inflate to the correct pressure unless in extreme situations.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Quote: posted by Malky on 20/02/2005 20:04:27

Remeber cars are useless in the ice/snow... 4X4 or not...

Don't agree - its tyres and drivers that are the problem!!!!!

I have used winter tyres with and without metal studs over the years and they are fantastic and grip properly. Unlike the Pirelli P7 I have on my company car [:(]

·
Registered
628 Posts
8 inches of eagle f1 is no good in the snow.on wet and dry roads they are very good.driving on a snow road today i had to let a micra past me.4 wheel drive might give you better acceleration in the snow but you cant turn or slow down quicker. the micra's thin tyres were obviously cuting through the snow and mine were just floating on it.i'm not gonna get a micra though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i agree with you. the better tyres for snow are not the wide ones but the ones that "cut" tha snow.For the ASR i have asked the dealer and told me that you must always turn it off when you are driving in snow.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by Ricardo on 20/02/2005 20:33:11

Quote: posted by Malky on 20/02/2005 20:04:27

Remeber cars are useless in the ice/snow... 4X4 or not...

Don't agree - its tyres and drivers that are the problem!!!!!

I have used winter tyres with and without metal studs over the years and they are fantastic and grip properly. Unlike the Pirelli P7 I have on my company car [:(]

Me too, M&S tyres make such a difference! and studded tyres in -15 ice conditions (Sweden) was normal day to day stuff[8D]

Quite simply the majority of British drivers simply haven't got a clue when it comes to extreme weather, that includes rain.....[B)]

Turn ESP off and drive carefully, plenty of room to the car in front etc etc.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I should clear this up!

I only recommend letting the tyres down if you are STUCK! Don't drive the car with the tyres flat as that would be dam crazy! I let 'em down to get moving and out of the Sh1t, then pump them up from the compressor...

I found letting the tyres down in a foot of snow just gave me enough grip to get moving!! It does make a difference...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
You can replicate the TCS part bu using light revs. But its the EDL part which is important for low traction surfaces - you can't do that with the throttle.

·
Registered
143 Posts
find a nice empty car park covered in snow/ice an see how your car handles or doesnt handle lol.

atleast that way you'll have some idea of what will happen on a road.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts