Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to chip - remap our Gti Turbo, but 'her in doors' will just go mad! Has anyone managed to sneak one passed, and if so how on earth did you explain the difference in performance... Would your average girlfriend notice the change in the drive?

I was kinda thinking something along the lines of "Yeah, I found this hose hanging off when I was cleaning under the bonnet over the weekend. Doesn't it make a difference!".... Hmmmm, sounds grap right.. Oh boy : 0

Come on lads - some of you must have found yourself in this situation.....

·
Registered
366 Posts
Get it Revo'd and also buy an SP1 controller to change between maps via the diagnostic port, e.g. standard and not so standard.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get it Revo'd and also buy an SP1 controller to change between maps via the diagnostic port, e.g. standard and not so standard.
That sounds ideal.. Where is the controler, under the bonnet? How much will an SP1 and fitting cost me?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Diagnostic port is hidden in the car...mins just under my climate.

The SPS1 box plugs in changes the map then you unplug it and take it out the car with you.

You let your women drive your car? I don't so its makes life easy about hiding mods....not that I actually keep one for that long lol

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Just tell her you are doing it. After all, who wears the trousers? Is it your car and your money?
lol !! Ditto.

I think the hose under the bonnet sounds like a great idea, but TBH my missis wouldn't even notice as I dont think she goes over 3K on the revs !!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, on average I never keep a car more than 6-months myself, that way if you buy smart you never loose any money.

Right, this SPS1 box of yours sounds a go'a! Does the box contain 'all' the goodies? I.e if I was to sell the car could I take the mod with me and use it on the next one - or even flog it after?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Just do it anyway! when she comes back and says! " Gosh its quick" just say, well its a GTI isn't it??? vorsprung duct technique VW style![:D]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Are you a man or a mouse...... do you have to ask her if you can use the car aswell....... just get it done done and when she sulks or shouts go for a nice long fast drive !!!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just do it and buy a handbag and shoes too. Leave them on the front seat and she'll be so distracted she won't notice the difference in performance. If she then says anything a few days later tell her it's always been like that.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah, on average I never keep a car more than 6-months myself, that way if you buy smart you never loose any money. Right, this SPS1 box of yours sounds a go'a! Does the box contain 'all' the goodies? I.e if I was to sell the car could I take the mod with me and use it on the next one - or even flog it after?
No...its still a re-map but the SPS box deactivates (I think) the re-map and re-activaties the normal code.

And I was talking about women...not cars...although both seem to come and go pretty quickly to be fair

P.S. the SPS2 box allows you to disable the engine aswell which means if your going on holiday and parking somewhere you can kill the engine. The Immobiliser stops it from starting which means the only to steal your car would be to put it on the back of a lorry which hopefully someone would notice

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tell her you've sorted the handbrake out!? Been sticking for a while!

?
Man you crack me up! : )
Perhaps I'll just say I've started putting optimax in it... Which will be just fine till she try the stuff in hers...

"Oh yeah luv, it only makes a difference on some engines!"

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, on average I never keep a car more than 6-months myself, that way if you buy smart you never loose any money. Right, this SPS1 box of yours sounds a go'a! Does the box contain 'all' the goodies? I.e if I was to sell the car could I take the mod with me and use it on the next one - or even flog it after?
?

No...its still a re-map but the SPS box deactivates (I think) the re-map and re-activaties the normal code.

And I was talking about women...not cars...although both seem to come and go pretty quickly to be fair

P.S. the SPS2 box allows you to disable the engine aswell which means if your going on holiday and parking somewhere you can kill the engine. The Immobiliser stops it from starting which means the only to steal your car would be to put it on the back of a lorry which hopefully someone would notice
Hey thats great info, thanks! So whos better, revo or jabba?
Or what about those 'half way house' tuning boxes to get me started? Are any of them any good and which ones? I know I wont get an extra 50BHP, but maybe a little something to keep me going a few months?

·
Registered
196 Posts

Hey thats great info, thanks! So whos better, revo or jabba? Or what about those 'half way house' tuning boxes to get me started? Are any of them any good and which ones? I know I wont get an extra 50BHP, but maybe a little something to keep me going a few months?
I have a tuning box on my GTTDI...can't fault it...easy to install and isn't detectable...as for re-mappers I dunno

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Have you said to her that you want to get it re-mapped and she has said 'no'?

Do you go to work? Do you earn your money? If so, go and get it done, if she goe's mental cus shes lost her control over you, dump her and go have fun with your car and spend your money how you want to spend it, not how someone else tells you you can and can't!

I wouldn't ask, I'd tell them, but certainly wouldn't ask if it's ok to spend my money which I earnt on doing something I want to do. Unless it effects them personally or mentally of course. Which let's face it a rempa doesn't! not like your saying your going on holidya on your own, or buying a house on your own, or doing something which effects your relationship.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts