Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

Just bought a GT TDi 140 in Diamond Black Metallic, and it's stunning.

I've had to book the car into the dealers, as I've got very annoying things going on atm:

a) Rattling (in the dash and/ or in the central airvent, and also in the rear (passenger side) door);

b) Wind noise (driver side door, very annoying);

c) Turbo/ car noise, which may be normal behaviour, but on de-acceleration through lower-end gears, the car has a medium-pitch humming noise (not a standard turbo hissing noise) - is this normal? Will this dissappear once the car runs in properly? I have a GT TDi 140 in work, and this noise is not as evident on the work car as it is on mine.

Are there any other things I should be looking out for, and any advice anyone can give me regarding the above, if I can sort some of these things out myself (like the rattles).

Many Thanks.

Kind Regards, Rob Jones

·
Registered
109 Posts
a) Rattling (in the dash and/ or in the central airvent, and also in the rear (passenger side) door);

For central air vent rattle, see:

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43126

Passenger rear door rattle on mine was the ash tray in the door pocket.

b) Wind noise (driver side door, very annoying);

Door probably needs adjusting - I've not had this.

c) Turbo/ car noise, which may be normal behaviour, but on de-acceleration through lower-end gears, the car has a medium-pitch humming noise (not a standard turbo hissing noise) - is this normal? Will this dissappear once the car runs in properly? I have a GT TDi 140 in work, and this noise is not as evident on the work car as it is on mine.

Not had this either.

Things to look out for:

1) Drinks oil during first 10,000 miles or so.

2) Wipers can fail

Nothing major though - my car has been solid for first 10K.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Many thanks for your reply.

Can anyone tell how to get access to ie. be able to extract, the central airvent?

Any help/ advice would be great.

Kind Regards, Rob

·
Registered
109 Posts
Lever the cover surrounding the thumbwheel off first with a screw driver. This will give you access to get the vent off - it just unclips.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Unless your dealer is a long way away or are useless you might be best getting faults seen to under warranty. If you break something you will be have no comeback.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks again for the info - what do I need to do in order to cure the problem -> do I need to insert double sided felt or what, and where!?

Maybe it would be best for me to let the dealers have a look at it themselves!

Regards,

Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the centre vent rattle as well - leave it to the dealer who has the

As regards the noise you hear in lower gears I can confirm that my car has been in at dealers (Advantage Stirling) to have this fixed/investigated and this is the findings emailed to me by Sales Manager:-

"Whining Noise: we are aware of this noise and infact can be found in some form on all vehicles, it is not a defect or causes any performance issues. Even the vehicle you drove last week has it and it just takes a little longer to induce. Volkswagen are aware of the noise on the mark 5 and have no rectification for it at present, this may come in the future and will no doubt be a recall scenario.

ols etc. to fix it."

Not satisfactory in so far as I am concerned. Does anyone know what causes the noise or has been given a better explanation by their dealer?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very interesting - my work car (also a GT TDi 140) has this noise, but it is indeed very faint (you can hardly hear it at all, only sometimes) - it's very evident on my car and it is very annoying.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any other views?

Regards, Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Advantage Stirling latest response:-

"Thanks for you reply. Regarding the noise that comes from the car yes both Advantage and Volkswagen are aware of it, infact we have little sound cards sent through from Volkswagen to enable us to identify the noise. We have had only one car that was unbearable, it had an over bearing owl noise on every acceleration move - we are still not sure what we are going to do with it other than use it as a guinea pig to help resolve others. We are not sure why the noise is made or where it is coming from, we personally here have tried work on the turbo, exhaust and on a new design of engine mountings that were to reduce a whistle! But until VW come up with any solution our research is continuing slowly but surely, we do however need them to do the major research. We are aware of the noise on all our demonstrators to different degrees some stronger than others, I myself, was in my colleagues car today and it's almost identical to your own. We will keep you posted when we hear any developments."

Lets hear from others with this issue. Volkswagen should act now!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
right had to dig this thread up, as an owl is stuck in my fly wheel for sure. Never noticed the noise that much before, but its is def there now, and pretty loud. I dont have a 2.0 its a 1.9 now done 7500miles. But I'm sure its the same noise mentioned higher in this thread, I'll go down to the dealer as the service light needs sorting.

rich

·
Registered
11 Posts
My GTTDI is in the dealers today for dashboard rattle, rear wiper starts wiping with the s elector stalk in the off position & stalling when cold (only when doing tight maneuvering)- being as how its a DSG auto its kinda strange.

Will let you know what happens....

By the way hope your dealer has a better attitude than mine, regardless of the outcome will be taking the car elsewhere next.

Does anyone know of a contact number for VW Customer Service?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yup, I have the same problem on my GTTDI, took it into the dealers at the end of December. They said that they didn't have a clue what it was. Apparently they had 3 technicians in the car whilst driving along to try to work out where the noise was coming from! Anyway the upshot of it was that they have sent a report to VW and they said that they would get back to me by the end of January.

Does anyone have the ID that VW use to track the problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, had my GT TDI for about 6 or 7 weeks now and it has covered 1200 miles - about 200 miles ago the car died at a set of traffic lights with all the symptoms of a flat battery but it did start after 5 minutes. VW thought it might be an alternator problem but that showed up as working in subsequent tests. They re-flashed the ECU and so far so good, although it is early days yet.

Also, in the last 50 miles an owl has landed under the bonnet too! However, it only seems to be there until the car is warmed up fully. Anyone got any further news on this yet?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe it sounds like a tawny owl! Not that I am an Owl Expert or anything. I would say that it sounds like a loud soft whistle which varies in pitch, that occurs when you go over or back through a particular rev range - depending on which gear you are in.

In my experience, it sounds more like an owl if you are attempting to keep the same speed and around the rev threshold and you are basically depressing and releasing the accelerator to stay at the constant speed, say 30mph in 5th or 4th (can't remember which) going up and down hills or whatever.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Foook !!!

I was going to post that I heard an OWL noise as well but I decided not to as I thought people would think I was TIT (not in the bird sense).

This is "off the wall" I might have suggested a turbo wastegate problem (try a Smart Roadster and you will see what I mean) but TDi dont use them.

[:O]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just an update,

My GTTDI is in the dealers today for dashboard rattle

Two have been fixed one is left above the airbag on the passenger side. This rattle can be stopped by pressing down on the dash above the airbag area, it is going in next week & I am fairly confident that they will fix this too.

Rear wiper starts wiping with the s elector stalk in the off position

Wiper electronics reset, only time will tell if this is fixed.

Stalling when cold (only when doing tight maneuvering)- being as how its a DSG auto its kinda strange.

The engine software was updated, apparently this was a known problem to VW with the TDi and DSG box.

The throttle response from cold is noticeably different & better. Its has taken away the slight hesitation you get with diesel auto's e.g. when you wait to get out of a road junction, now its just instant acceleration which makes it feel quicker [:D]

I am pleased to say that the dealer has been doing their level best to put the car right [:)]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts