Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Alrite Goldstar,

I started doing my bumpers last year and got so far on them and gave up. If you wana have a go yourself why not try this. I cut the bump strips down to fit inside the recess and then melted the strip to the bumper using a soldering iron. Once it was stuck I just used a skim of flexible filler to finish it off. It worked a treat and is flexible and sturdy. I didn't get it finished for some reason, may finish it off again next year but this was how far I got. I think its a better way of doing it and is still strong now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
One word lads - FUSOR.

Plastic welding is good but Fusor is the way you want to go. No heat needed (no melting or warping), flexible (plastic welding makes the plastic a little brittle), much easier to sand than melted plastic, much easier to put on, can glue mixed plastics, comes in various different versions and also has a fine grade/stoppers style version which fills any pin holes and sands perfectly smooth, can be put on with the fusor gun and a spreader, Is sandable within an hour, and best of all no need for filler on top (which discolours over time).

You can take the rubstrips off, buy some plastic sheets from ukplastics.co.uk and cut and glue the pieces into the recess where the rubstrip sits (using Fusor 142), and then just sand them as smooth as possible. Then put a skim of Fusor 114 over the top and sand it smooth and it's ready for primer.

Baz

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
on another note.......

in the pics above the guy uses P38 isopon over the foam but says to use P40, these are 2 different products, P40 is a glass fibre filler, would this not be hard to work with and sand?
yup that was me i said use p40 for that exact reason p40 is much harder filler and more flexible.. if i was to it again i would use p40. [y]

·
Registered
562 Posts
ok thanks for that

did it ever sink at all? or cud you see where the bump strips were originally?

oh and before i forget, on the front bumper when the bump strip is removed, there are 2 pieces showing that are slightyly raised, i noticed after u rubbed down ur filler that these were still very slighty visible, would it be better to cut them down a bit before i use the expanding foam?

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
ok thanks for that

did it ever sink at all? or cud you see where the bump strips were originally?

oh and before i forget, on the front bumper when the bump strip is removed, there are 2 pieces showing that are slightyly raised, i noticed after u rubbed down ur filler that these were still very slighty visible, would it be better to cut them down a bit before i use the expanding foam?
nope bud there was no sinkages in the bumper.. and nope you couldn't see where the bumper strips were originally.. it was a very smooth as you can see from the pics..

and yeah there is two slight raises in the bumper behind the strip as you can see in pic one if i was to do it again i would cut these down firstly..

Sat [y]

·
Registered
86 Posts
One word lads - FUSOR.

Plastic welding is good but Fusor is the way you want to go. No heat needed (no melting or warping), flexible (plastic welding makes the plastic a little brittle), much easier to sand than melted plastic, much easier to put on, can glue mixed plastics, comes in various different versions and also has a fine grade/stoppers style version which fills any pin holes and sands perfectly smooth, can be put on with the fusor gun and a spreader, Is sandable within an hour, and best of all no need for filler on top (which discolours over time).

You can take the rubstrips off, buy some plastic sheets from ukplastics.co.uk and cut and glue the pieces into the recess where the rubstrip sits (using Fusor 142), and then just sand them as smooth as possible. Then put a skim of Fusor 114 over the top and sand it smooth and it's ready for primer.

Baz
sounds like this is a good way to do it.

would this work to smooth out the lines in the r32 front bumper and the join between the top and bottom parts of the rear bumper?

i've just managed to get myself a genuine r32 front bumper for £130, cant wait to get it on! :D

also where can i buy this fusor?

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
It would be perfect for that job. Check out the lord fusor website for tips and videos on how to use it.

I ordered all my stuff from http://www.e-bodyshopsupplies.com in the USA but there are UK suppliers around. Buying it in the UK would have cost me twice as much. If you do a search on here there's a thread of mine somewhere that tells you what you need and how much it costs. I think the title is some thing like 'How to get fusor in the UK'.

Baz

·
Registered
562 Posts
so far i have put the foam on a rear bumper, did that last nite and this evening i have taken the excess off, still to be sanded down yet

after i had done it i realised that it was coming through the holes on the sides where the bumper locates itself to the car, will it still go on ok?

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
so far i have put the foam on a rear bumper, did that last nite and this evening i have taken the excess off, still to be sanded down yet

after i had done it i realised that it was coming through the holes on the sides where the bumper locates itself to the car, will it still go on ok?
Yup bud it will still go on ok as you can see in our pics we done exactly the same

hth

Sat [y]

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.