Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
The recess needs to be plastic welded. Ideally, the original bumper strips should be trimmed and then welded into place leaving a small recess of about 3-4mm.

This should then be filled with a TPO filler and then lots of sanding is required!

That's how mine were done anyway.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by Sem on 19/12/2004 13:38:45

The recess needs to be plastic welded. Ideally, the original bumper strips should be trimmed and then welded into place leaving a small recess of about 3-4mm.

This should then be filled with a TPO filler and then lots of sanding is required!

That's how mine were done anyway.

Spot on... hate it when people just get it done using filler. Looks wrecked after half a mile!!!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
mine were done using a strip of plastic the same type a bumper about 3mm thick then trimed exactly to fit recess then bonded and plastic welded in place.as rub strip does not fit very well after triming.and less filler is needed this way.

cost me ?160 each bumper.

some place use fibreglass resin and filler same method as blending in a bonet vent.

jase...

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Mark - there was a guy came on here from the US with a white Golf - he posted a link to his how-to on bumper smoothing.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
J11ase lets see some piccies of yours with the bumpers smoothed

Tabs I take that your busy modding the other halfs Golf now the R's gone - - or are these secret plans you have for the ANNI

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the info. Sounds like the route of welding in similar bumper plastic is the way to go then!

@Andy - These are plans for the Anni my friend. Saw a car on Vortex a few weeks back and got some inspirational visions from it. Of course the Girfriends car will be modded along the way as well.... It would be rude not to! [:D]

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Not sure on that Tabs....think the Anni is best left alone [:O]

I certainly wont be modding mine in terms of styling but may add a few performance tweaks [;)]

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If anyone can recommend a competent bodyshop in the Liverpool area that has smoothed bumpers I'd be interested to know. Thanks lads.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
who does your spraying? Mark, oh and please dont say your gonna get a silver anni!

Ive been thinking of smoothing mine (bumpers are damn cheap on ebay) and putting a black grill on as per martyns car (all depends if I get an R32 in the new year)

Ps if I were you id do the smoothing yourself and just get some one experienced to paint em for you all you need is this http://www.justoffbase-tools.co.uk/index.php?tools=9.249

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Quote: posted by andymac on 19/12/2004 21:26:47

J11ase lets see some piccies of yours with the bumpers smoothed

will post pic when i get chance.only got front bumper on at moment wih tabs old debadged grill as ive been holding out for a american spec rear but got fed up of trying to get hold of the person selling it.also had to put full size plate on as i got stoped first day i had smaller one on.

jase...

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote: posted by andymac on 21/12/2004 20:31:33

who does your spraying? Mark, oh and please dont say your gonna get a silver anni!

Ive been thinking of smoothing mine (bumpers are damn cheap on ebay) and putting a black grill on as per martyns car (all depends if I get an R32 in the new year)

Ps if I were you id do the smoothing yourself and just get some one experienced to paint em for you all you need is this http://www.justoffbase-tools.co.uk/index.php?tools=9.249

Mate of mine up in Anfield, place called Radiator Spray. Did some work on a few previous cars of mine and he's spot on. Plus if you let him take his time on the work it works out cheaper becuase he can fit the work in-between jobs [^]

Ohh and I'm not getting silver, I want red!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Quote: posted by steveh on 22/12/2004 10:03:30

What about dietrich smoothed bumpers? arent these available from R & A Design.

Would be a lot less hassle.

i can gaurentee they wont fit, and they are made from fibreglass, YUCK! It will even cost you MORE than smoothing the stock VW bumpers. cost of bumpers appx ?230 plus spraying and fitting.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Quote: posted by MikeTDI on 22/12/2004 09:40:19

heres my smooth front

Posted Image

Mike, where did you get your bumpers done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts