Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my local scrappy there is a golf4 there with a smoothed tailgate (badge, handle removed) there which has been primed and in perfect condition how much work (money) would it cost to get it fitted and wired up so my central locking works with it? Quick depots please as not to sure how long it will be there! Cheers guys and gals

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
It should be plug and play,at least a two man job but better with three.Just two bolts holding it on acessible by dropping the back part of the headling down which are I think 13 or 14mm.

Anyway,if it doesn't have a handle why do you still need the central locking to work[:cool:]?

Chris.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I was just thinking that, surely if there is no key barrel you just need a boot release kit..?

And as for the rest just get some mates round to help you fit it, wiring looms should be plug and play too I'm guessing..

Chris if the boot lid is off a different year car could the wiring be slightly different for wiper/brake light?

P.s I've got one lying around you can have.. bought it when I was planning on smoothing my rear but decided against it. Tenner?

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Chris if the boot lid is off a different year car could the wiring be slightly different for wiper/brake light?
Never seen anything different over the whole range of mk.4 years,there's nothing that technical in the tailgate ayway.Yes you're right it would of course need some sort of remote release mechanism but as it's already been smoothed there's a good chance it's already been done.

Chris.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys, yeah I was thinking the central locking would be how you lock and unlock the boot, my bad. How would the boot release mech work if it has already been done,would I need a fob of somekind and programme it in? Thanks. Where do you live dude selling the smoothed tailgate?cheers.

·
London Refurbs'
5,615 Posts
You will probably just need to add a switch. Most people use a fuel flap release button.

Peter

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
as above you can use fuel cap release solenoid.

just wire it to the wires for the rear wiper if dewipered or you can use central locking wires will plug straight in..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts