Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well finally got my bumpers back from the paint shop

After approx 20 hours of filling and rubbing and filling and rubbing and filling....well ya get the idea

They went down to a customer of mine to be sprayed,finally got them back yesterday.

So this morning spent 2 hours washing and polishing,i managed to get a cuople of pics just before the heavens opened...grrr

Comments welcome...

Stu

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
82 Posts
They look mint, hoping to get mine back from the bodyshop midweek all smoothed, where did you have them smoothed? i'm in manchester so i may know the place.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
looking mint mate.what did you use to fill? also where are you gona place the number plate?same as where it was.

im just about to get my bumpers done and wanted to know what you have used looks great.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Mate

Did the filling myself...but they were sprayed by a lad i know in speke-liverpool.
you've done a top job there i've had to pay someone to do mine coz i would probably of knackered them.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They were filled with Fibrol glass fibre filler,to fill the strips.Then filled with standard filler over to full top of the bumper.

Its taken approx one an a half tins to do and approx 20 hours.

Results i think are worth it tho [Y]

The number plate is either gonna have a square one offset to the passenger side or look into gettin a small bike one for the centre.(not legal tho)

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
dont get the square numper plate mate it will make you look like a XR2I lol

does the filler have any flex to it or is it like a basic fibre glass resin filler?

sorry about all the questions mate but thats how ya lern lol

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No worries for the questions..lol

The general concensus ive had about the plate has been to get the small one even tho i will be told to take it off as an when i get stopped by the coppers

The filler is the rigid one to fill,then smoothed over with the flexy stuff then topped off with the normal body filler.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
looks great mate

what exhaust is that?

thnx
Its a VW .:Racing back box. i picked it up from ALL TYPES last year in wales.

IIRC J111ase knows the guy who sells em

Thanks for comments guys[Y]

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
they look good mate [y] I remember we were nattering at Awesome and you were on about doing this, I *still* haven't got mine back tho [:(] Good work

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Looking good!

Just keep your eye on them, especially the side bits on the bumpers as they are prone to sinking, unless you plastic weld.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers guys looks like most of you approve[Y]

yeah pat finally went ahead an did it

Sat think it was when you an ya bro did it i first saw it done[:$]

Mike they were not welded but will keep an eye on them for a while.Stress can sometimes cause them to crack too i heard

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
wat i was thinking about doin is using a plastic based flexi filler not sure what its called then a very slight skim of normal filler to final smooth. do you think this would all be ok and not crack?...

iv got a small plate mate and i dont get pulled for it.i have once and he told me to change it but i never did.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Graygti..like mike said before if you plastic weld it its less likely to crack

if thats not an option use more fibre product to fill then a slight skim should be ok

Havin only just done mine im gonna keep a close eye on it for any stress caused cracks

keep ya posted tho

stu

1 - 20 of 23 Posts