·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ditched my carbonio for a few reasons:

Risk of hydrolock

Filter was minging

Was starting to hate the sound

Switched to a stock airbox that was smoothed and added a green panel filter and green ducting (Courtesy of Badger Bill [Y] )

First impressions are:

Car feels smoother on acceleration

Far less noisy

Idle seems better (could be because the filter was caked in crap)

It is definately worth considering over a cai, the only reason i can see for going to one is for the BOV noise.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Risk of hydrolock

Filter was minging

Switched to a stock airbox that was smoothed and added a green panel filter and green ducting (Courtesy of Badger Bill [Y] )

First impressions are:

Far less noisy

It is definately worth considering over a cai, the only reason i can see for going to one is for the BOV noise.
glad i didnt go carbonio now! i have done the same mate and there is no heat soak now! just keeps pulling and reving the same no matter how hard i push it. befor i had it the car used to loose around 5-10bhp i recon just from sucking in the hot air of the engine!

cheers

myk3

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
glad i didnt go carbonio now! i have done the
same mate and there is no heat soak now! just keeps pulling and reving
the same no matter how hard i push it. befor i had it the car used to
loose around 5-10bhp i recon just from sucking in the hot air of the
engine!
Those are interesting claims, I think you would need a FMIC or a decent SMIC to reduce heatsoak.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
glad i didnt go carbonio now! i have done the same mate and there is no heat soak now! just keeps pulling and reving the same no matter how hard i push it. befor i had it the car used to loose around 5-10bhp i recon just from sucking in the hot air of the engine!
Those are interesting claims, I think you would need a FMIC or a decent SMIC to reduce heatsoak.
the claim is what it feel like to me befor i give it some and after. what im basicly saying is that it is much more responsive now all the time where as with the old intake it was sucking in allot of hot air from the engine, thus felt a bit more sluggish after a hard run.

cheers

myk3

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

Risk of hydrolock

Filter was minging

First impressions are:

Far less noisy

thechief,

Good to hear that you are happy with the new filter set up.

I have been thinking of changing my filter set up again.

I have had a K&N panel filter in a standard VW box (a bout 4 years ago) which was great, but I then heard wispers that they caused problems to the MAF, so it was taken off and replaced with a Jabbasport induction kit and heat sheild which was very good.

After having this for around three years I changed the filter set up to an ECS Tunning CAI (same as Carboni) which I like the sound of, but I'm convinced it has reduced the amount of air going into the engine and reducing performance.

I am now considering getting the same arrangement as you or going back to the Jabba induction kit.

I just wondered if you know what sort of air readings you get with the new set up you have and whether it is better than the amount of air a Carboni takes in.

I would assume that the Carboni would put more stress on the turbo due to having to pull air up through the filter and up the pipe, where as the Jabba Induction kit and the set up you have will make life easier for the turbo, as it would have the air forced in and also the filter being a lot closer to the turbo (less stress/ work for the turbo).

Would you recommend changing or is there no real difference in the amount of air taken in.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Kevin, You won't be dissapointed with a Green panel filter and 80mm intake pipe.

I have 280lb of torque at the wheels (Dynojet, Awesome GTI), this is the last airflow graph I logged:

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be honest the stock airbox setup is pretty hard to improve on [Y]

GaryM has done some logs before comparing his stock box to a dynatwist so figures would be similar.

Once i get my vag-com activation code and the conditions clear up a bit i will do a few logs.

I wouldn't worry about turbo life with the carbonio etc, it won't harm it. The only reason to have an induction kit is if you like the noise or if you need space in the engine bay

[:D]

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I wouldn't worry about turbo life with the carbonio etc, it won't harm it. The only reason to have an induction kit is if you like the noise or if you need space in the engine bay

[:D]
So there is no real difference... just noise....

Thanks for the info... the Green filters are very good value, so I think I'll give it a go...

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
GaryM has done some logs before comparing his stock box to a dynatwist so figures would be similar.
The best I saw with my Dynatwist was 163g/s.
The Dynatwist - is that the one in the carbon fibre circular box/tube?

Would you say the Green Filter combination is worth while to change from a CAI set up? I just want to get the largest amount of air into the engine, in the best possible way.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
No, Dynatwist is a filter housed in a big metal can within the engine bay.

It has an 80mm cold air feed going directly to it from the passenger side grille of the front bumper.

In my case, yes is was very much worth going back to a smoothed stock airbox with green filter and 80mm intake pipe.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
It has an 80mm cold air feed going directly to it from the passenger side grille of the front bumper.

In my case, yes is was very much worth going back to a smoothed stock airbox with green filter and 80mm intake pipe.
I think I know what one you mean, I was thinking of the BMC Carbon Filter.

I just realised that if I put the standard air box back I need to get the top sprayed to match the S3 covers......[:(]

·
Registered
219 Posts
kev id think twice before going back to stock airbox. i haev teh same jabba map as you along with teh jabba induction kit. i switched back to standard air box as i was gettin slightly tired of the sound. what i noticed was that with teh standard air box. when you are up high in the revs and you go to change gear. with teh jabba ind kit on, it holds the revs higher and the turbo seems to spool up again much quicker. with standard air box the loss between gear change was soo noticable. and the revs dropepd lower too. mind you that was with std VW air filter. aint tried it with the GREEN one yet.  

·
Registered
4,190 Posts

do we smooth the lid of the air box too?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
do we smooth the lid of the air box too?
I did and always log very high airflow values which must be a combination of a good intake, filter and an obsticle free airbox.........maybe good mapping too[;)]

·
Registered
285 Posts
It can't hurt really, though I cannot say as I made up a smoothed airbox with the green filter & 80mm neoprene ducting but never got around to replacing my Carbonio

1 - 20 of 22 Posts