Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am about to bite the bullet and do my first engine mod, but I have just read Zekegti thread on the CAI and it says avoid puddles or you will end up sucking in water !!

So what, have you, that have done the smoothed airbox and ducting mod, done to prevent water getting in there ?? If anything.

Do you need to do anything ??

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I have driven my car in heavy rain and then checked the airbox/filter immediately afterwards.

No moisture whatsoever!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I think you'd have to go through a pretty deep puddle at some serious speed to force up enough water to cause a problem and in any case the bottom of your airbox has some drain holes. The solution may be to drill some more drain holes in the ducting near the intake. Only small ones, enough to let most water through but not much air. I'm currently investigating using an OEM part to make a cold feed from the original intake in the grille, so it's higher up than where most people put big ducts (lower bumper under the battery) and less susceptible to huge splashes of water.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It's a 1 chance in a million to have any sort of water suction related problem with this kind of setup... Don't worry!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I'm currently investigating using an OEM part to make a cold feed from the original intake in the grille, so it's higher up than where most people put big ducts (lower bumper under the battery) and less susceptible to huge splashes of water.
That sounds interesting (sorry to hijack[:$]) a lower intake would cause more problems than benefits for me, I'd like to be able to use the intake round the headlight and just have a larger pipe to the airbox. It would be a similar change to putting the Ibiza trunking on a Fabia VRs.

What methods are you looking at?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help chaps. My mind is a little more at ease.

Just ordered the Green panel filter and green ducting from Badger5, should get it Thursday, so Saturday is play time !!!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I'm currently investigating using an OEM part to make a cold feed from the original intake in the grille, so it's higher up than where most people put big ducts (lower bumper under the battery) and less susceptible to huge splashes of water.
That sounds interesting (sorry to hijack[:$]) a lower intake would cause more problems than benefits for me, I'd like to be able to use the intake round the headlight and just have a larger pipe to the airbox. It would be a similar change to putting the Ibiza trunking on a Fabia VRs.

What methods are you looking at?
Ball socks, I can't find the picture now. Basically, at the Bluewater meet (and on rfsteel's V5 at the Richmond Park meet), I noticed the 1.8Ts, V5s and V6s had a plastic cover screwed on behding the front grille intake to the right of the VW badge (if you're looking at the front). Next to it, there's another plastic cover behind the nearside headlamp. I can't remember who said what now but I seem to recall that some or all of this was part of the factory air feed to airbox. Can anyone with one of the aforementioned engines confirm? I also seem to recall looking at one of these very closely and it did indeed seem to be some kind of air duct. I can't think of any reason to have that plastic cover behind the intake. I could well ask my dealer, they're always so helpful.

If it's what I think it is, I'll buy the bits and make an OEM cold air feed, keeping it neat. My previous effort on my factory airbox was not so nice, but hey, it was cheap.

Posted Image

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
A wee while ago, the good chap (MrW) who introduced me to this fine place that takes up so much of my time, made one of the first cai's.. (well sure he was one of the first on here anyway. For ages his process and install pics were on here, but were lost in the forum changeovers last year. It explained all this perfectly ! Come back alastair ! We need your knowledge ! [;)] Anyway, there are plenty of others on here who can advise.

There was an article on cai's on a US forum a while back and they'd tested the water ingress theory and said that to get water into the engine you'd have to place your cai intake (whether diy or not, i.e. Evo/Carbonio) into a bucket of water and give the engine maximum throttle.. I think even in the damp winter atmosphere of the uk you'd be okay. I don't recall anyone on here who has a cai or diy or not, stating that they have had problems with water ingress/hydrolocking.

However, NikB stated recently that on taking his green panel filter out of his modified stock airbox (smoothed, I guess ?) that there was some moisture in there and that the metal gauzing on the filter was actually a bit rusty. Sure he also said that the guys at JBS said that the fins in the airbox are not just for strengthening, that they are there to retain any moisture too. I may be wrong on that, so maybe Nik can confirm that ?

Here is Sem's smoothed airbox topic from july.. http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/272319/ShowPost.aspx

Topic on the vortex.. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=666711

and the test one (I think).. Dammit.. can't find it now !

Roger Moore's CAI http://bambergvr6.50megs.com/stock_airbox_cai.htm

Another.. http://www.geocities.com/bora_we/cai.htm

A diy/non diy cai, half made from a cai pipe into a stock airbox.. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1744989

HTH a bit anyway ! [:D]

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Yes my 1.8T had a feed from that point, behind the headlamp and into the airbox.

You would need to do a fair amount of work as the duct from behind the opening ducts it to the right.

I have the bits from mine in the lofy so could probably take a pic over the weekend of how the ducting bits.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Yes my 1.8T had a feed from that point, behind the headlamp and into the airbox.

You would need to do a fair amount of work as the duct from behind the opening ducts it to the right.
That's fine, because what I have now is...

Posted Image

I have the bits from mine in the lofy so could probably take a pic over the weekend of how the ducting bits.
Would appreciate that very much, thank you. [Y]

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Attempted this today and it is nigh on impossible without removing the bumper. Unless someone can tell me how to remove the old air ducting behind the headlamp, without taking out the headlamp ???

Help, I don't want to spend another wasted afternoon !! in the rain !! However I did fit the Green filter ;-) and cleaned the MAF, so not all wasted.

Also how easy is bumper removal.

Please say "very easy Dubswich, it's just two screws and a washer !!!"

·
Registered
258 Posts
Until i can find some 80mm ducting i did a tempory mod. see if you can spot it:
I was thinking of doing this but with 80mm on both sides of the air box? do you think there could be to much airflow if this is done

·
Registered
861 Posts
I did the air duct mod without removing the bumper !! The stuff behind the headlight can be removed altogether (its just push pinned in)

JWhite there is no such thing as too much air in the turbo diesel application although there is debate about putting 2 intake air pipes on the airbox (at different ends) causing turbulance.

NOTE: i used 75mm ducting. I also had to bend the cars horn upwards to get the duct to sit nicely at the lower vent.

PICS to follow.

Yes it makes quite the difference to a remapped PD. (more power up the gears)

took me 25 minutes and i managed not to cut myself once :)

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Its not that hard, you'll need a torx 20 I think & a 25.

Pop out the 2 outer lower grills & theres a torx there, plus the wheel arch ones & a few under the main grill

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Its not that hard, you'll need a torx 20 I think & a 25.

Pop out the 2 outer lower grills & theres a torx there, plus the wheel arch ones & a few under the main grill
Cheers for that mate, but I managed without bumper removal. I removed the battery instead, to get at the old ducting, to make room for the 80mm duct !! It was a bitch to get the old one off !!! But I have done it now, can't say it is a noticable difference, except may a little more free revving at the lower end, but it is the only mod I have carried out so far, so can't expect too much out of a filter and duct !!

Now I only have one small problem. While I was doing the job, I removed my watch and put it down somewhere in the engine bay !!! Forgot about it till later and now I can't find the F'ing thing !!! I am betting it is in the airbox. LOL. I hope it is, as I have had it for ten years and it's my favourite watch !!! I almost said it's my lucky watch, but it's obviously not !!!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First off, apologies for raising a dead thread !!

But I just thought I would let you know. I found my watch. (see above!)

It was down the sofa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Typical.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts