Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Good to know this kind of forum exist. My Bora 1.4 engine emits white smoke on acceleration. Head Gasket you guess? But I think I need a change of engine, and I am thinking about installing a Golf 3 engine, probably a 1.8 engine. Do you guys think this is possible? If it is, what are the likely problem you think i will face? I am in love with Mk3.

Cheers! Happy 2011.

Jydo

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
if it was to be the head gasket then you would expect to see a bluey smoke. White smoke could be from water in the exhaust.

In regards to changing the engine. If it does come to this then your best bet it to stick with the mk4 engines. The 1.8T engine is a popular choice for engine swaps but it all depends what your after.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks all for the response, but the issue is that in this part of the world as much as most people love the MKIVs, the cost of the engine and the sophistication is still above the capacity of an average buyer/user. the mechanics are even very sceptical about the 1.4 engines. For instance an imported (not new) engine cost about 1000 dollars. That is on the high side around here, although I can afford it, but i need some level of reliability and assurance on such an investment.

That is why the cheaper and more familar MKIII is recommended by the mechanic around me, they are quite comfortable with them unlike the MKIV. I still need advice, what do you thinks about this proposed swap is it achievable or advisable? what are the likely challenges and effect?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts