Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to order a GTi, and have been interested to read all the comments about the smokers pack. I don't smoke, but will probably now order it anyway (if a no-cost option). Can I just confirm that if I DON'T order it then I will get this....

http://www.thewindinglane.co.uk/images/2006__2005/2006_7.jpg

...and if I DO order it I will get this....

If so, it's a no-brainer for me to order it.

Thanks[:)]

·
Registered
503 Posts
AFAIK the non-smokers pack is what you get as standard, and it will look like the first picture (this is what I have (being a non-smoker) so I couldn't tell you what the smokers pack looks like).

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yes to the first picture.

No to the second picture, as UK cars have come with a black plastic lid for some while now & not with the original brushed aluminium finish.

You can buy the ali finish parts, if its important to you, on e-bay

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to you both. Wasn't so bothered about the ali lid, just the fact that it had a lid, as I like to keep loose change and my Polo's in there!! (and so want to keep them in there by having a lid on it). Anyone got a pic of the latest spec lid? Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Am I missing something here? We have a 06 MY GT TDI 140 with the non-smoker pack (i.e. little tray and power socket as in picture 1) but it has a lid on it as well as in picture 2 but black plastic, not ali-look.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi,

Just been sat in a new Golf Match at the dealers - which had the non-smokers tray / 12v socket, but with the black plastic lid (as you'd expect on a normal ash tray). This car can't have been built long ago - so maybe 07s do have a lid on the non-smokers bits after all?

dieseldunc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies again. I think I'll order the smokers pack (to be sure of getting the lid - cheers for the pics Farina, can you confirm it was no cost?), unless anyone with a 07 MY GTi can confirm that they have the NON-smokers pack, and got a lid as well? Ta. [Y]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes it's a no cost option. Can't comment on the non-smokers pack having a lid but I had the smokers pack (I don't smoke) for the same reason - to get the lid. However someone may be able to confirm that the current build cars have a lid with the non-smokers pack. I suppose when I sell the car it gives the next owner the option of lighting their **** and having somewhere to stub them out!

·
Registered
503 Posts
The non-smokers pack DOES have a black lid the same as the smokers one (it's just the insides that are different).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks folks. So I think the consensus is that if I go with the standard spec (ie. the non-smokers pack) then I will get a lid, albeit plastic (which is fine). So I think I'll not bother with the smokers pack, unless anyone that has a MY07 car can say that they didn't get a lid? Cheers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread but, it got me thinking.

Just ordered a Golf without smokers pack. The GTI we have has a lid that covers the 12v socket. Does this come on the new GTI's?

Just that we had an 07 loan car recently. 3 door GTI with no centre armrest so it lost the slidey cover near handbrake and noticed that the 12v socket in front had no lid! I know VW have been cost cutting but, the dealer seemed to think the non smoking package will still get the lid it just wont have the lighter and the tray which can be removed.

Can anyone confirm who has taken delivery recently?

·
Registered
60 Posts
my recent edition 30 didnt have smokers pack but has an ashtray lid and a socket without a cover on it (says 12v on it), and there isnt a removable tray (where ash would go)
Hi

So where the socket is it had a lid over it that you press and it opens?

Just a bit confused by the comment re socket without a cover on it[:$]

I wonder if the lid is something to do with 3 doors and the centre arm rest?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts