Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi wonder if anyone can help me, im the owner of an 02 plate Golf GT TDi 130 with 51k on the clock.

Recently the car is pooring with black smoke from the exhaust just before the turbo seems to kick in at about 2k revs(this seems to be worse in 2nd and 4th then the other gears).

The oil in the car is fine but also the engine seems to have started ticking a little bit or generally getting loud,

Has anyone come across this before? any help or advise would be much appreciated!! Its was last service 8k miles ago

Thanks

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Smoke = Unburnt fuel

Ticking = Noisy lifter

I'd say check the MAF sensor.

Baz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ppl guessin nobodys got any ideas on this then??

I have taken the car into VW today and they say that the intercooler main pipe has split? would this be causing the problems do you think?

Any comments welcome

cheerz

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
That would make sense. Like I said the smoke is due to unburnt fuel. I.e Burning too much fuel and not enough cold air. The split intercooler pipe would probably cause a slight lag in the turbo and smoke due to not enough air getting forced into the cylinders.

Baz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, have just signed up to this site (although have used for a few days as guest). [Y]

Hopefully one of you can help me with a similar problem as nick21.

I have just purchased a 2002 1.9TDI 130 with 53000. I have so far covered about 200 miles and have noticed that at idle (just under 1000rpm) it sounds as if the engine is pulsating? I wouldn't class it as a 'rough idle' , but is certainly noticable!! The rev needle only moves a tiny bit. It also seems to chuck out a fair amount of smoke when left running for a few mins on the driveway[:(]. I know diesels pump out a little smoke but this seems very excessive? Once driving the car also pumps out extra smoke just prior to the turbo cutting in (around 1900rpm) or when pulling off in first at any revs. I am not quite 'fogging out' the cars behind but is still a concern!

So, any ideas would be much appreciated!!

Nick21, if you are still on this forum, did you get yours fixed??

Thanks in advance for your help, keep up the good work. This is a cracking site and I am sure I will be on here a lot, even when there is nothing wrong with the car!!!

Monty[:)]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Its sounds a very similat problem to what I had with mine, (apart from the pulsating ad idle) mine was a split intercooler pipe which was causing the mixture of fuel and air to be out therfor producing the smoke/fog. if left ticking over this did create a ring of black sut on the driveway as yours is doing so it may be worth getting it checked, yours may just have a hole in it rather than it being split like mine was, VW advised that to get mine sorted would be approx £250 so good luck ;0)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi all, yet another newbie here. I have recently bought a GT TDi 150 Anniversary, whilst I love the car I'm more than a little concerned about the smoke my car chucks out. Sometimes black sometimes blue, and sometimes not at all. Seems a little odd given the inconsistencies. When it chucks out smoke it can really be a fog! I'm going to get it looked at tomorrow but a few pointers may help me not get ripped off!

The car does have an RAC warranty from the retailer I bought from but as a rule these usually cover anything apart from an item likely to need repair!

Here's hoping for some advice.

Cheers JB

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hi all, yet another newbie here. I have recently bought a GT TDi 150 Anniversary, whilst I love the car I'm more than a little concerned about the smoke my car chucks out. Sometimes black sometimes blue, and sometimes not at all. Seems a little odd given the inconsistencies. When it chucks out smoke it can really be a fog! I'm going to get it looked at tomorrow but a few pointers may help me not get ripped off!

The car does have an RAC warranty from the retailer I bought from but as a rule these usually cover anything apart from an item likely to need repair!

Here's hoping for some advice.

Cheers JB
Blue smoke usually means turbo failure.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well it's all gone belly up now!

Started rattling and knocking badly on the way home last night.

Will see what they say in the local garage when they have finished looking at it, at least it shouldn't smoke when I get it back....................

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi guys , can i jump on this thread please..

I have a 1967 spltscreen camper with a 2001 PD 130 BHP ASZ engine installed..

Runs fine , however it does seem to kick out black smoke when you first gun it, but seems to clear after a few goes.

The engine has been sat around for about 4 years and was less than a 1000 miles on it when i bought it.

I have only done 20 miles so far, but keen to fix this problem...

http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23027

my coverstion thread.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Does it smoke on idle?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everyone, I am also new to this forum and could do with some advice please! I have a MK4 1.4s, and it is smoking a lot, (blue smoke which smells like burning oil). It also drinks a lot of oil, i seem to be topping it up all the time. I have heard that this could be the head gasket or piston rings.. if anyone could advise me on what they think it is that would be great, and even recommend somewhere that could fix it for me in Warwickshire (Leamington area) thank you... Michelle

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Well it's all gone belly up now!

Started rattling and knocking badly on the way home last night.

Will see what they say in the local garage when they have finished looking at it, at least it shouldn't smoke when I get it back....................
MM! PD 150 that rattles and knocks - hope that RAC warranty is up to date because the main worry is the cam and followers. Who serviced the car last and when?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
If you have alot of black smoke then check airfilter, intercooler pipes etc.

Mich your problem with the smokey 1.4 us more serious. It's smoking through the rings. Only perminent fix is a recon of the engine. Ould be valves too. For now I'd progressivly put heavier and heavier grades of oil in.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Hi everyone, I am also new to this forum and could do with some advice please! I have a MK4 1.4s, and it is smoking a lot, (blue smoke which smells like burning oil). It also drinks a lot of oil, i seem to be topping it up all the time. I have heard that this could be the head gasket or piston rings.. if anyone could advise me on what they think it is that would be great, and even recommend somewhere that could fix it for me in Warwickshire (Leamington area) thank you... Michelle
Is there oil in the water? If so your head gasket is gone. If not, your piston rings have gone.

·
Registered
795 Posts
hi michelle the 1.416v is notorious for this and im afraid if your having to top it up all the time then yes your piston rings are either sticking or worn most probably worn and will need to be replaced which isnt an easy or cheap job to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys, thank you for the replies they are really helpful. Sounds like this is something I need to get sorted then, does anyone know where I could get this fixed (garage or private) for reasonably cheap in the Leamington area (Im willing to throw in a homemade chocolate cake, lol) How much do you think fixing this is going to cost me? Thank you!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts