Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My air con smells damp and mouldy. I have taken the pollen filter out, hoovered all the bits of leaves and pollen out of it, and then sprayed loads of dettol antibacterial spray onto it. I also cleaned the case of the filter and as far down the vent under the filter with antibacterial sprays. I even attached a drinking straw to the front of the dettol can and sprayed down the vents. [:$]

I thought this would have fixed the smell. Today I had the aircon on for a few hours and the damp smell has come back! [:mad:]

What else can I do?

I've seen the comma and carplan aircon cleaning sprays mentioned before, but some people say that they work, others say the smell comes back.

The smell is really bad....when I take people in the car anywhere they have to open their windows as they can't stand the smell.

My car interior wasn't that clean when I bought the car, so I will use AG Interior Shampoo soon to freshen the seats and carpets. I'm still surprised that the car stinks so much. I thought VWs wouldn't get problems like this [:|]

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I used one of those spray bomb things and it made it alot better. When on its fine, but it makes a slight pong just when I turn the a/c on, for about 5 seconds, but it really isnt that bad at all.

I think the key is to use the aircon often, helps prevent pongs and bacteria building up.

But I know what you mean, odour de smelly socks really isnt the nicest pong!

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have a mark 4 glof gti and i get a smell coming from my vents when my air con is off and i have to shut the vents to prevent the smell

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
i had this too, really badly!

Used a bomb thing, but messed it up a bit so it only worked for a few days, ended up getting a regas, ?90 though! car still smells a bit, but i think thats cos the seats etc need a good airing!

Get one of those bombs from Halfords, ?10, then read the instructions, unlike me, and it should be fine! bascially put the air-con on max on re-circ then set the thing off, if posssible, spray loads of it down the air intake before u put it on re-circ!

hth

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am still unsure about those comma sprays....surely letting it off will cause the whole interior to soak up the harmful fumes - and cause more damage than good?! Has anyone else used the sprays and got good results?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
There are a couple of different sorts that i have seen,one which is like a spray which you leave in the footwell,they are crap.The other sort which we use which you have to spray down the vents and it foams up,they are better.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
the comma spray does work.

take out the pollen filter, and spray atleast half of the comma stuff down the inlet, with the ac on FULL, and not on recycle (this allows the ac to draw the Comma stuff into the system)

Spray the rest of it inside the car as per instructions, and set to recirculate..

make sure u replace the pollen filter with a brand new one.

Everythign shoudl be fine after this

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the pollen filter is on the right hand side of the engine bay. there are about 4 screws to undo and then a cover can be removed and then you can see the pollen filter. Unclip the 2 clips from the front and then it can be removed.

I've never seen a foaming aircon cleaner before. Does anyone know the brand/make of it and where you can buy it from?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
In response to the footwell ones being crap, the one I used seemed to do the job rather effectively. Dont ask me which one it was because I honestly cant remember, but it smelt of oranges!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
You can also kill the bacteria by having the A/C an MAXIMUM heat for a good 30 mins, not ideal in this weather mind.....

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
still recommend the toyota aircon spray. did it in the other halfs corsa which was really bad. nearly two years later its only just starting to smell.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My air con smells damp and mouldy. I have taken the pollen filter out, hoovered all the bits of leaves and pollen out of it, and then sprayed loads of dettol antibacterial spray onto it. I also cleaned the case of the filter and as far down the vent under the filter with antibacterial sprays. I even attached a drinking straw to the front of the dettol can and sprayed down the vents. [:$]

I thought this would have fixed the smell. Today I had the aircon on for a few hours and the damp smell has come back! [:mad:]

What else can I do?

I've seen the comma and carplan aircon cleaning sprays mentioned before, but some people say that they work, others say the smell comes back.

The smell is really bad....when I take people in the car anywhere they have to open their windows as they can't stand the smell.

My car interior wasn't that clean when I bought the car, so I will use AG Interior Shampoo soon to freshen the seats and carpets. I'm still surprised that the car stinks so much. I thought VWs wouldn't get problems like this [:|]
Stop farting in the car lol

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
my air con smells dam aswel! a musty sort of smell! but only when i turn it off and switch back to econ mode on my climatic! when air con is running smells fine!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Mine is ok on air con mode aswell, just economy that stinks. I thought is was the dodgy air fresheners that I got off detailing world until I saw this thread.

Must be another one of VW's 'Common faults'

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
mine dont stink on econ mode!

i put air con on fine! push econ button then it smells for a min or so then its fine! it only smells during the change over from air con to econ! but other times its fine

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
my climate smells a bit more of a damp smell and im suprised in thsi heat ,

think il try the pollen filter and clean it and go from there

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My aircon had a mouldy/sweet smell. Since cleaning the pollen filter and spraying down the pipes with Dettol anti-bacterial spray, it only smells damp.

Seems like a very common fault. [:(] Neutrodol gel thing made the car smell like bathroom cleaner [+o(]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts