Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brilliant! Driving home late last night and I spooked a pheasant on the road (do they stay up that late? I hope is wasn't an owl [:(]) it flew up and smashed the OS wing mirror glass and the colour coded surround (not the black bit connected to the door). Electrics still work thankfully so am looking for replacing the glass and colour surround.

I did a search on here and found VAGParts are recommended for the replacement glass but because what VAGParts sells is blue tinted I should really replace the OS mirror too as my originals are plain untinted.

VAGParts do not seem to sell the surround case, does anyone know where to get these? I am not particularly keen on the shiney mirror ones, though I might be in a matted silvery one...

And a bad time of year for me to be spraying paint!

Merry Christmas!!! [[B)]]

·
Registered
658 Posts
Smashed mine too mate! Glass and coloured surround, I got hit by an oncoming car though, not a bird!

Ive just replaced the case, but need the blue tinted glass still, im on the lookout 4 a cheap peice (29.00 ish from stealers, ouch!)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tim, VAGParts do the blue tint mirror for ?23.34 ex VAT though I imagine delivery will be on top of that so may as well be cheaper go to stealers... I want to order a boot 12V socket so I may well buy from VAGParts anyway.

Where did you yget your case surround from?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I bought a 2nd hand set of the S3 style chromed ones, Im still not decided whether I like them or not, although it worked out cheaper than buying a replacement OEM case and spraying. Adds some bling to the car at least!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm, I'm not after the bling effect. Looks like I'll be spray painting in the kitchen! (And what an awkward shape to spray... but I got a plan!!)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I damaged my drivers side colour coded surround, blue tint heated glass and a small black bit underneath the mirror, a couple of months back. The bits from the dealer were 50 quid all in and it cost me a tenner to get the dealer's 'cosmetic repair' man spray my new mirror surround diamond black.[B)]

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thats good value for a tenner, Id have thought it could have been ?30 to spray it! Probably would have cost u more just to buy the paint yourself + the hassel of spraying!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had my mirror smashed the other week and got the glass from Halfords,it only cost a fiver.The only thing is it is clear,so i had to take it back and get the blue tint one from the stealers.Damn rip off merchants cost me ?36.00 + vat for the same piece of glass as Halfords sold me for ?5(?31 extra for the blue tint!!!!)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
VW quoting ?21.30 for the mirror cap (unpainted of course) which is OK.

The blue tint mirror is ?27.46, ?3 less than standard clear mirror. Can someone please confirm that the blue tint mirror is smaller than the standard clear mirror (i.e. as it is R32 size)?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, I have bought a new mirror surround and sprayed it and fitted to the car with new mirror. One problem though, the mirror does not remain in a fixed position that is, you can move the mirror with your fingers. I inspected inside the mirror mechanism and found where the white diagonal plastic thing (see picture 3 below) a piece of black plastic from behind has snapped off and is inbedded in the white plastic. So, i t looks as though I need to buy something else, or possibly a new whole mirror [:(]

New mirror part sprayed and lacquered.

Posted Image

Old cracked mirror.

Posted Image

Here's the inside which may also needs replacing [:(]

Posted Image

Here's the wiring to the mirror, I think the colour wires go this way round!

Posted Image

·
Registered
59 Posts
If the mount is broken then I'm afraid you have to buy the whole mirror chassis together with wiring/motor etc. Mine broke in exactly the same way and in the end I used the breakers yard search engine (can't find the URL sadly) and located a complete mirror in reflex silver for ?45 in mint condition. I guess lots of wing mirrors end up in the hands of breakers as it's usually just the front or the back that gets pranged in write offs.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the bad/good news Bungle! Ah well, I have emailed a few breaker yards. Bungle, was reconnecting the wiring straightworward? I can see a flex coming from the door...

Cheers.

·
Registered
658 Posts
How did u find spraying the cover mate, being its such an awkward shape, does it match colour wise, and feel smooth like the original?

I may go down the lupo mirror route but chances are i'll give spraying a go myself !

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The colour match is spot on and yes, an awkward shape to spray! I got an empty plastic container (put a heavy pasta jat in it to keep a low centre of gravilty) and through the lid of the plastic container stuck a metal skewer through. I suspended the mirror on this and was able to move it up to be able to get an all round even spray.

One good thing about living alone is no one complaining about the use of the kitchen diner!

The mirror came pre-primed. I made sure the paint was at room temperature (I warmed it up a bit in warm water) though when I came to do lacquer I did not warm it up, room temperature was fine as I find lacquer runs very easily.

Plenty of light coats with 30 minutes drying time meant the job took a whole day! After the final coat of lacquer and a good drying overnight near a radiator some car polish gives the smooth finish.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
658 Posts
Nice work mate, obviously takes a lot of patience to acheive a decent finish.

Im trying to find out as much as I can about Lupo mirrors and if its hard to take apart the mounting plate and make the lupos fit.

Trying to find some electric/heated ones too, not defo sure they exsist yet?!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does anyone know how to take off black triangle attached to the door, which holds up the whole mechanism and the mirror. I have tried but it don?t seem that obvious.

·
Registered
32 Posts
you have to take off the whole door card. first there is a screw near the top, just on the right side of the door card. then you clip off the door handle and there are two screws located there one on either side. then the 3 screws located at the bottom. these screws are very different from the conventional type as the one which holds the wing mirror housing to the actual door. if have not got the correct screw driver kit you want be able to do it. lukily i know a mechanic and i got him to do for me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts