Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

It seems that my front right headlight has been smashed, am I able to just replace the glass or do I need to replace the whole headlamp? I can see it not being cheap either way but would rather just get the glass replaced if possible.

Looking underneath the bonnet it looks although I can just replace the headlight glass? by unscrewing the cover? is this correct?

I own a Mark4 Golf PD115.

Any help is much appreciated.

Ed :)

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
i think you can buy just the glass - only if u have xenons must u replace whole headlight

get some headlight protectors! £15 odd

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think you can buy just the glass - only if u have xenons must u replace whole headlight

get some headlight protectors! £15 odd
Thanks for the prompt response all, much appreciated....

I do hope your right in that I can just replace the glass, I know they arn't xenons. Will go to vw tomorrow and ask them, if I can get away with just replacing the glass then I'll be over the moon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if not you can always pick up one from the bay!
Just the glass you mean? or the whole headlamp? Just looking on the bay and there cheaper than I expected but if I can get away with just buying replacement glass then all the better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My headlight was also smashed on Saturday morning. Just got a quote from the stealers - £176 including labour! The bloke said its £140 just for the part (as you have to get the whole unit, you can't just replace the glass).

I know you can get them cheaper than that on the internet - could anyone recommend the best place to buy them? I know someone whole will fit it for me for nothing thank God!

Phil

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My headlight was also smashed on Saturday morning. Just got a quote from the stealers - £176 including labour! The bloke said its £140 just for the part (as you have to get the whole unit, you can't just replace the glass).

I know you can get them cheaper than that on the internet - could anyone recommend the best place to buy them? I know someone whole will fit it for me for nothing thank God!

Phil
VW rippoff, burn a whole in the wallet dealers! Its amazing how one garage varies to another, just got a quote for £220inc vat, that includes everything....... Forget that, I think I'll be going elsewhere?!

The whole bumper needs to be dropped to remove the light as stated on here, which is where the labour comes in!

Not to happy to say the least :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Phil
VW rippoff, burn a whole in the wallet dealers! Its amazing how one garage varies to another, just got a quote for £220inc vat, that includes everything....... Forget that, I think I'll be going elsewhere?!

The whole bumper needs to be dropped to remove the light as stated on here, which is where the labour comes in!

Not to happy to say the least :(

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's not a hard job, just takes a little while. Do a search, there's an excellent guide somewhere.

You can get replacement units from euro car parts for about £60 squid I think. Might be an idea to get new bulbs while you're in there, cos changing them is also a pain in the ass without removing the bumper. It'll save you the hassle later.

JP

·
Registered
186 Posts
I too was quoted £200+ 4 years ago to replace headlamp on my 1 week old golf [cry] got an OEM headlamp (Hella I think) from GSF for £80 or they had a cheaper copy for £60ish, a haynes manual for £10 and job done in under an hour - DIY as it really is not difficult

·
Registered
7 Posts
How fast are items usually delievered from GSF/Euro Car Parts? Could do with it pretty quick before the rain gets through the temporary fix!

Phil

1 - 18 of 18 Posts