Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Mitsu thanks for the advice but just a little late. Have you been posting on funkysmart?? I saw someone on there was after a PD150 after poor reliability from a roadster.

It is a second car we fancied a "sports" car and it appeared on my wifes company car list. Enjoyed the test drive and had read about the roof leaks but as it is a lease car for peanuts figured we could live with it.

Not good about reliability though, mind you after the nightmare I had with my last Mk-IV (1.8T) I thought it couldn't be any worse.

Having said that the PD150 reliability has been very good overall after an incredibly shaky period up to 20k.

Good luck in finding a PD150. Apart from slightly dubious handling it is a very very good car.

Very respectible performance and tremendous economy. Last year a group of us drove in a convoy Biker style up to Skye. Big s election of cars including Leon PD150 and 2 * Cooper S.

The guys in the coopers couldn't touch the Leon at all through Skye. Made up distance in the bends but lost car lengths on the straights due to the Torque.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote: posted by mitsu on 03/04/2005 20:06:05

DO NOT get a smart.

Reliability is awful.

All manufacturers have problem cars, it`s just life I`m afraid.

See www.mini2.com for a very long list of MINI dramas or

www.tt-forum.co.uk for many Audi dashpod/coilpack problems.

Even Golfs have problems, many an owner has watched their windows fall into the doors.

My Smart has been faultless for the 2 years and 10,000 miles I`ve had it. I know some Smart dealers are poor but again, poor dealership service isn`t reserved for Smart or indeed M-Benz.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Green - sorry about the late reply. Don't get me wrong, the car is fun, when it works. I'm sure you will have fun, I just hope your's lasts longer than mine. Already found a pd150, just working out the finer points on the deal.

Simon-S3 - I am well aware that you can buy any car and have problems, but the smart roadster is particulary bad, I know many owners who have had any number of problems, and while speaking to an engineer working on my electrical system he told me he has never known such a bad car. Not very hopefull is it.

As for dealerships, bad service is one thing, being told bare faced lies is beyond the pale.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote: posted by mitsu on 04/04/2005 20:26:04

As for dealerships, bad service is one thing, being told bare faced lies is beyond the pale.

Oh, I had that with Benham BMW in Wolverhampton when I was trying to get a MINI sorted out.

Like I said, it`s horses for courses I`m afraid.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Had the car for a couple of weeks now. Very good fun took it up towards Oban last week. Got asked about the car at every stop which is amazing considering how long it has been out. Also got waived at by a Morgan driver which shows I must be a fully paid up member of the eccentric drivers club.

On good roads a pretty impressive car. The auto mode does truly suck but in "manual" it isn't that bad. Corners very well and I still find it amazing that it is only 800cc. Roof off and the tubro chirp is such good fun. Because of the low power you can have so much fun without any fear of loosing it. Rattles like mad though, the golf sounds like a library in comparison. Strange thing is that as it is not our car the ratlles don't matter at all.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts