Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has the chance to get a Smart Roadster Coupe for a pretty low monthly rate on personal contract hire for 24 months. Everything covered. Will end up costing us about 2 grand to own over two years, 20k miles.

Test drove one a while back and I was impressed. Like driving a go-kart on the street although definately not a car to go far in.

Problem is I could "divert" the money towards a loan for a new Mk-V GTI and trade in my TDI. Would probably cost the same but we would then only have one car and I would have cash tied up in the GTI. Doubt it would be a big depreciation risk though.

My Golf is going really strong at the moment and has probably done the bulk of it's depreciation. Jan 2003, 50k Miles.

So the choice is TDI 150 and smart roadster coupe

or MkV GTI.

Anyone any experience of the smart roadster?

Anyone had any major (costly) problems with the TDI 150 past 50k miles.

·
Registered
64 Posts
To be honest I`d go for the Smart and Golf option.

To find out more go to www.funkysmart.co.uk there have been a few problems with roof leaks with them but apart from that they`re OK.

I run a PD 150 and my wife has a Smart ForTwo and to be honest we hardly use the Golf at weekends. If you live in a city the Smart is really all you need. Big enough for the weekly shop and so small and cheap you can leave it anywhere. It costs peanuts to run and is a hoot to drive.

Try a Roadster-Coupe, you might just like it!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Does it have to be a Smart? Doubt it would stand up to much punishment if it came to the crunch and can't help thinking it would be more likely to get in to an accident.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote: posted by djhorace on 22/03/2005 21:37:36

and can't help thinking it would be more likely to get in to an accident.....

More likely than what to get in an accident?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had a second test drive in one on Friday.

The last one I drove was a Brabus, definately faster but the ride was not as good.

Great fun feels like a proper sports car even if it is 1.4 Mk3 quick.

Pretty much decided on it, going to try and order it tommorow (hope the leasing company have some decent colours left!).

I have resisted going to test the MkV GTI. I know if I go I will end up ordering one. Tried to keep up with one on the bypass round Ayr about a month ago, not a chance, that is one seriously good car but for us it is probably more sensible to have two cars.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Quote: posted by Simon-S3 on 23/03/2005 06:44:16

Quote: posted by djhorace on 22/03/2005 21:37:36

and can't help thinking it would be more likely to get in to an accident.....

More likely than what to get in an accident?

Something with a lower centre of gravity, which weighs more, measures more in length and width and which has more road presence (which in turn will command more respect with some drivers of bigger vehicles). In other words, most other cars/vans/lorries/buses.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote: posted by djhorace on 29/03/2005 14:04:20

Something with a lower centre of gravity, which weighs more, measures more in length and width and which has more road presence (which in turn will command more respect with some drivers of bigger vehicles). In other words, most other cars/vans/lorries/buses.

Hmmmm. Haven`t read something this bizarre in ages!

I must go and get a huge SUV so I have road presence, respect and I`ll be safe.

Simple[V]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Quote: posted by Simon-S3 on 29/03/2005 15:49:10

Quote: posted by djhorace on 29/03/2005 14:04:20

Hmmmm. Haven`t read something this bizarre in ages!

I must go and get a huge SUV so I have road presence, respect and I`ll be safe.

Simple[V]

You might call it bizarre - and that is fair enough. Regardless, I would not feel safe in one, and I ride a bike!

Have you ever been in an early Mini?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote: posted by djhorace on 29/03/2005 16:23:30

Have you ever been in an early Mini?

Yep, and statistically it`s as likely to be in an accident as any other car I guess!

...But you know what they say, there are lies, damn lies and statistics!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
My point was/is that I felt vulnerable in a Mini and found other road users discounted it just as I have found a lot of road users discount other small cars and bikes. That plus the fact if it came to the crunch it would be less able to offer protection.

The Smart does not have the handling ability of the Mini though and is not as stable as it could/should be. This has been documented in various car mags.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Smart does handle far better than a standard Mk-IV though. If you have ever driven a metallic grey vw then you will find out about lack of visibility. I am sure VW could sell that paint as stealth material to the traffic police.

I know what you mean about sitting low though. But on a bike you are far more likely to crash. All my friends with bikes have had at least one smash and one walks with a limp from a crush injury.

Of the people I went to school with (within 1-2 years of my age, average size school) 4 have died in bike accidents only one in a car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote: posted by djhorace on 29/03/2005 19:51:18

The Smart does not have the handling ability of the Mini though and is not as stable as it could/should be. This has been documented in various car mags.

Are you talking about the Smart Roadster-Coupe or the Smart ForTwo?

The Roadster really hasn`t got stability issues.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Quote: posted by Simon-S3 on 30/03/2005 05:56:32

Quote: posted by djhorace on 29/03/2005 19:51:18

Are you talking about the Smart Roadster-Coupe or the Smart ForTwo?

The Roadster really hasn`t got stability issues.

Oops. I never read the Roadster part at the start. I was thinking of the dinkytoy Smart Cars. Sorry [:I][:eek:)][:D]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well ordered the Smart, get it in two weeks. Just saw the news that they are going to stop making the roadster at the end of the year.

Must be bad when MkIV owner can kill a whole car range off just by ordering one.

Makes me wish I had ordered an X5 now....I hate those things with a passion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Been away for a while so sorry this is delayed, but,

DO NOT get a smart.

Reliability is awful.

The only thing worse than the car breaking all the time is the terrible service from the dealer.

I could recount all the horrible story but it would make this 20 pages long (seriously).

Mine is on the way out, to be replaced by, hopefully, a mk-iv pd150.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts