Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am wondering if there is any small (ish), slim style, sat nav. I like the tomtom but am after something more slim.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
54 Posts
have had a 3.5" tomtom for a while now, does the job brilliantly, and best of all its just the right size to fit in the cupholder!

Singh41

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
If u have an Andriod phone, then I can really recommend Co-Pilot! £22 for UK maps, and u get updates and camera warnings.

Really highly recommend it.

Easy to use, accurate, fast, clear, has cool features like Lane assist arrows too.

I've completely given up using the Golf's MFD satnav now, Co-pilot is just fab.

And my tomtom1 is now somewhere in the house, un-used now too

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What a gr8 app!! Just installed it!!!

Now after a good holder to position it on the window or something?

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Google satnav is free on android phones, i have used it loads of times now and never had any problems
Just what I was about to say,best sat nav I've ever used and the streetview images in pedestrian mode are a touch of real genius[clap].You also get Google earth images when in driving mode,it announces the names of roads instead of turn lef/turn right etc and as above is freeer than a really free thing that's just been set free[<:eek:)],

Chris.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Google map navigation is good too, I agree.

Nice little touches like

the Google internet search is intergrated into the Navigation. So google search something, and then you can choose to drive to.. Genius. Simple idea but works brilliantly. Unique function to google!

Street View images - as you reach your destination, u get a street view picture showing you EXACTLY where to stop. brilliant. again, another unique function to google!

intergration of google latitude, being able to see where your friends ARE in real time on google maps, and then simply clicking on them to get the route planned. Genius again!

BUT

the real gripe I have is that everything on Google Navigation relies 100% on having a decent internet connection. No map software is stored on the device (compared to dedicated softwares like TomTom, Co-Pilot etc).

Everything is pulled off the internet, so if you don't have adequate signal/data connection, then it will be frustrating.

Personally I can't wait until Google maps/navigation/latitude/search makes it into our CAR SATNAV systems like they've been talking about!

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Street View images - as you reach your destination, You get a street view picture showing you EXACTLY where to stop. brilliant. again, another unique function to google!
I used Google navigation for the first time today to get to somwhere I didn't know,and really wish I could have taken a photo of the image on the screen of my phone and the absolutely identical scene I could see through my windscreen.They were close enough to being identical to look like I was looking at a photo I'd just taken[<:eek:)].

No problems with updating it where I've used it so far,sometimes distances like 1.1 miles gets announced as an eleventh of a mile,sometimes names get garbled and I couldn't find how to enter house numbers?

Chris.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts