Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know i can't afford to look at my next car yet after having just moved out but i may be swapping next year

always wanted to upgrade to a 1.8T and engine mod that but recently i've got this idea that i might fancy something small, nippy and entirely impractical.

what sparked this off was seeing a smart sportster/roadster/whatever, not that i wanted one but it look like a nice little nippy car

so who's got any ideas as to what i could get, roadster/coupe-wise that would be nice and fast

i've seen some lotus elise's on autotrader for less than ?10k and they look about right but i don't know much about them or any alternative vehicles

thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol no, i'm definately liking the idea of a roadster type car, not just an smaller/inferior golf

the only issue is i've gotta find room for a PC in it

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
1.8 Sport MX-5.

Drives well - rear wheel drive with Japanise reliability, slightly more practical than an MR2.

147BHP from the factory and Jackson racing do a supercharger kit [6].

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
The Vauxhall / Opel VX220 is meant to be a whole ton better than them lotus elise/exige whatever it is. Cant back it up as m not a fan of these unpractical cars. Its too much effort for road use imo.

Think that Atom that was on top gear was only ?15k, that was the fastest car round their track, beating an Enzo etc, 0-60 in 3 secs. Thatd be fun.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah the ariel atom does look like fun but that is too impractical, no storage, no cover, bit out of price range and possibly a little dangerous

i'll look into the vx220

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
My dads about to let go our family owned and run 306 gti-6 for 2k.....

I feel buckets and supercharger coming over ..... and a uk-mkivs charity whip round for andys toy buying

·
Registered
646 Posts
I let my R reg 306 GTI-6 go begining of the year for ?2400 was gutted to see it go was a great car covered 106k with full Peugeot History still going strong!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I had a VX220 for a while - for the wow factor and pure fun, they are unbeatable IMO - until you drive one you dont realise how much better they are handling-wise than normal cars.

Though you can drive them all year round, they are awful in the winter IMO - metal interior and steamy windows, no traction control, RWD - they are terrible in icy conditions, really terrible.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you want to be different - Lotus Elan (think it's the S2? Early 1990s shape). One of these:

My mate had one years back and it was brilliant - 2 seats, lightweight, 1.6 turbo so fairly quick (I think about 160bhp and 0-60 in 6 seconds) but not silly fuel economy. You should get one for ?10k, and they're not as fragile as people think. I love 'em!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
if you really want impractical. for less than ?2000 get a lupo sport and strip it out completely.
just as fast as my mk5 gti.when it was standard. in a sraight line at least [:p]

and will go faster once it's fully stripped.
currently running 15.4 1/4 mile and 6.8 0-60's [:D]

52+mpg and 2 seater.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i had a passenger ride and drive in a s1 elise today and also made sure my better half could get in and out

now i'm gonna buy one.

gotta wait a few months first but then i'll be leaving the vw fold

1 - 20 of 21 Posts