Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I have a bit of a problem running my new lappy i got for xmas on my wireless connection the laptop is wireless b and g compliant my access point is b only i can connect to the net ok, but downloads are slow if i download the same file on my dektop machine i see the full download speed i.e 255 kb/s but if iuse laptop i only see 50kbps sometimes, occasionally i see more but it usually drops off the access point is only locked down via mac address and no wpa encryption, i used to have a wireless card plugged into the side of my old laptop which used to run fine

Anyone got any ideas ???
Do i need to change my access point to g compilant to get the higher speeds ????

Cheers

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It makes no difference if i am sitting right next to the router or downstairs in the lounge, windows reports a execllent signal in both cases

Thanks for the reply though

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Ok so are there any other settings that you could play with on the
router? Obviously you've turned off the security as that would slow
things down but I'm not sure what else there is to help increase speed.
I'd see if you can borrow something with 'g' on it and see if that
improves things. In theory the 'b' should be fine but the reality often
doesn't match up.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi
I am running a origo router with a trust wirless access point plugged into it what settings should i be looking for ???
I have the usual ppp, adsl wan lan ppp nat dns settings within the configuration menus

Hope this helps

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Sounds like you've already gone through the settings. Maybe you could
try a different router or if you know someone with one go round with
your computer. Not sure that you're going to be able to make it a lot
faster really.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
It makes no difference if i am sitting right next to the router or downstairs in the lounge, windows reports a execllent signal in both cases
What link speed does it report though? Right-click on the Wi-Fi connection in your network properties and enable the system tray status icon if not done already, then hold the cursor above the system tray icon and it'll report the speed in Mbps.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nik i will have to try to find a mate with g connection but i am sure most are running on b as this is realisticly all you need for internet connection sharing even though i am on 2 meg you will never max this connection out

Shuming The Laptop its self reports 11Mbps which is correct for b wireless network 2 meg adsl will only be 2 Mbps so i should see all the bandwith

Thanks for the replys though

·
Registered
377 Posts
Just a quick thought, are you using the default windows xp
wireless network manager or are you using the software that came with your
wireless NIC to manage it?

<o:p></o:p>I have seen on some occasions especially with belkin
hardware that unless you are using there software to manage the connection it
runs as slow as a dog, it should not do this but it does.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Spud

Yes i am running the windows default manager,pro the NIC card i am using comes built in to the laptop its a intel pro/ wirelless 2200BG
is there a manager for this card as its Intel driven ???

I am also running all the latestup dates from windows could this cause the problem, as i know for example service pack 4 caused all sorts of headaches with slow running machines in windows 2000

Cheers

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I know what you're saying about the 'b' being 11mbps and your internet only being 2mbps however even though your signal may say its running at 11mbps it will often actually be running at a much lower speed. I found this in my previous house. Downstairs the connection quality was much poorer and I often got v.slow download speeds even though technically speaking the signal strength was still good enough.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi Spud

Yes i am running the windows default manager,pro the NIC card i am using comes built in to the laptop its a intel pro/ wirelless 2200BG
is there a manager for this card as its Intel driven ???

I am also running all the latestup dates from windows could this cause the problem, as i know for example service pack 4 caused all sorts of headaches with slow running machines in windows 2000

Cheers
If it is an intel, you can normally use the default windows one with no problems... hmm must think about this more lol

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Spud
Done some digging and found another updated set of drivers (on the intel site believe it or not Doh !)
I have installed these and access times are better but still not great can now get to about 100kbps on downloads on sites i know run faster than this

Hope this might give you a idea ???

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
check the card properties, should be able to see the error stats. Reset these and then surf/download for 5 mins. Go back and see what you have. I'm guessing you have a channel conflict and clocking up loads of errors?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mister E
I have had a look in the card properties but cannot see a bit for error stats. Can you point me in the right direction ?

I checked the channel settings on both access point and network card and both are set to 11 is this what you mean ??

Cheers

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have bit the bullet and bought a new 3com wireless router and set it up to run on g base only set to channel 11 and have still got the same problem I have also done some digging on the net and have found a similar problem in linux but the soloution was to reconfigure from what i can see is the IRQ Settings i am not too sure as i am not too familar with linux

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Mister E
I have had a look in the card properties but cannot see a bit for error stats. Can you point me in the right direction ?

I checked the channel settings on both access point and network card and both are set to 11 is this what you mean ??

Cheers
By channel conflict, I mean someone else might be using that frequency...try switching to channel 9 or 10 for example. Go through all the channels until you get one that's quick.

As for error stats; what make is your wireless card?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mister E
I am running a Intel pro 2200bg card

I Have tried another pcmcia card in the laptop and get full connection speed so could this mean my card is knackered or incompatable with my wireless router ??
The PCMCIA card i used was a 3com the same make as my router

Anyone got any ideas ??????

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I've got a 2100 in my dell laptop but I'm guessing the interface is similar!

Open the Intel Proset utility (start>settings>Intel Network Adapters) and click on the trouble shooting tab

Click on the statistics button, which will bring up another window.

Click on settings, ensure the logging frequency is at the lowest number of seconds and the log file size is the largest possible size. Click on OK

Now click on start logging and surf the net. You can click on the details button for more info whilst you're surfing!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts